Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Help - need engine advice, Fan Pulley has play in it
tabwb
post Mar 29 2023, 03:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,066
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So, I think it's time to go to the well and throw this dilemma out to the masses. I'll cut to the chase - my 1976 had a 1.7 engine in it when I bought the car. I knew that it wasn't the right engine so my nephew and I rebuilt a 2.0 engine he had picked up. We picked up the necessary rebuild kits from 914 rubber, auto atlanta, pelican, etc. - all new stuff on the inside. Block sent out, machined where applicable, etc. Dropped the 1.7, put in the 2.0 - all good so far. We put about 700 miles on the car with the 2.0 and recently, during a short drive, he heard a "funny" noise. Upon inspection I noticed that the "fan assembly" had some play in it - that is, the pulley itself was able to be wiggled about 1/8 to 1/4 inches fore to aft (horizontally). The pulley bolts are tight, no issue there...it's that the driveshaft (pulley to crank to flywheel) has a front-to-back play the distance noted. Now, I will drop the engine and trans...but what are the chances that engine-internals are damaged (bearings, pistons, rings, etc.)? I'd love to get away with just a few spacers on the back end, reset the flywheel and put it all back together and load it back in but am I just asking for trouble? Is it worth the risk or am I looking at another complete rebuild?

Any advise at all would be helpful and thanks in advance - you folks have saved me before.

WB
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:24 AM