Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is it the fule pump?, Spluttering and stalling!
r_towle
post Apr 19 2023, 06:22 PM
Post #61

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I just pulled the tank in a car that sat, with fuel, since 1996.
My new tank will arrive tomorrow.
The old tank, fuel sock and all the lines are trash
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Apr 19 2023, 07:01 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 19 2023, 06:15 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Apr 10 2023, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 10 2023, 06:21 PM) *

My $.02 (US). It's not vapor lock. If it was, in my experience, it wouldn't restart immediately. You'd have to wait til it cooled down to get started again. I think the comments about rust in the tank and clogging the sock fit the symptoms perfectly. The tank isn't hard to pull if there's not much gas in there. Don't think of it as a last resort. Can't help with the idle and rough running, that's for the experts. Good luck and....
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

fits the bill. good place to start.
my 14 is an L jet so can't help with D jet. if its not bad fuel, dirty tank then mr. @emerygt350 is probably on track with what he is speaking of?

a quarter of a century ago i did pick up a bad tank of fuel. water in the petrol.
car almost refused to run. when it did, misfires, spluttering, backfires. etc. had to flush the tank and system. injectors esp do not like gunk if it manages to get past the filters. even the smallest particles or impurities. to note it did not come good during that episode as your car is appearing to after you switch off. tends to make me think the fliter or filters if more have been fitted are blocking up then after switch off doing the classic temporary clear as the much floats back off the filter surface (for a little while).

you would only get vapor lock if the pump is in its stock location under the engine attached to the right hand chassis member behind the cabin. and it only happens after a hot shut down and not while you are on the move. it won't be that.

good luck with it.

------

and hello from across the tasman.
looks like you picked up a sweet little 14.
lots of interesting cars in NZ, most kiwis i have run into are petrol heads of the highest order and practical people. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Hey Winki....do ya guys really spell fuel like that down under? Fule?

must be kiwi-lish. they are another weird mob different from us.
don't try and ask for fish and chips in NZ if you are aussie.
whats that again. what do want to order. sorry please speak english.

we spell it fool pump. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

i could tell you stories about trying to buy a can of coca cola when i first arrived in chicago. i had a lovely african american chick just laughing her head off at me.
what do want man? say that again. slowly. coke. c o k e. coke.
where you from. austria. oh you are a german. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

being serious about it but.
no its fuel.
though the term fuel tends to be restricted to technical types like mechanics.
terminology is so different.
yanks call your fill up joint a gas station. here its a petrol station.
or gas tank. its a petrol tank/fuel tank down here.
but surprisingly its not called a petrol pump. just called a fuel pump.
older folks from the long ago past used to call petrol gasoline.
my grandfather for instance. i suspect that was the terminology between the wars from the depression era.
you can find a cute reference to that in mad max 2 where humungous bellowing through his loudspeaker requests the "gasoline". just give us the gasoline and we will let you go in peace etc.
gas in australia is strictly reserved for LPG powered cars of which there used to be quite a lot. esp if you ran an old school ford or holden V8. these were often aftermarket or factory converted to run on LPG. so you were filling up with gas, or had gas on the rig.
often these were also called dual fuel, or dewel fool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 03:10 PM