Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trailer upgrades, A build thread i guess lol
BillJ
post Apr 21 2023, 09:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,610
Region Association: None

So starting down the journey to upgrade my trailer and thought i would share and see if i am headed in the right direction.

Baseline is a 2 year old 8.5x24' base grade trailer with dual 5k lb axles. I had already added a whole bunch of led lights to the ceiling last year. I also had painted the floor with texture paint for some grip and to keep wood from staining.

Here is a pic of the lights and floor from last year:

Attached Image

Planned upgrades:

1. Paint the walls. Going to go white and use semi gloss. (Done as of tonight)

2. Roll vinyl coin pattern in black on floor and tailgate. Ordered and coming next week. Plan to not glue it but use flashing on perimeter to keep it from curling. Also between the d rings and other accessories i think it will stay down. May get some.double sided tape as a precaution... Fingers crossed.

3. Ordered aluminum front cabinet kits from
http://www.midwestracecabinets.com. Went with both top and bottom cabinets in black. I did get the double walled doors as i can imagine things sliding around and would rather dent an inner panel than a single outer. These are very basic kits and i have to build counters and bottoms as i have a v nose trailer. I will use some black coin on the counter for durability over plywood. I am no carpenter but going to give this a shot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

4. Also ordered a winch kit from the same http://www.midwestracecabinets.com site. It installs in the floor and looks pretty slick. Got the matching box for the battery and will install a solar panel on the roof to keep it charged.

5. Last definite item is an electric tongue jack. My manual one is already difficult to wind and the one i ordered plugs into the truck instead of hard wired to the trailer. Uses round 7 prong that i use already. Excited about that upgrade.

What else should i consider? Keep in mind i am trying to keep weight down as much as possible.

Walls are now painted and as you can see the floors already look trashed.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Apr 21 2023, 09:09 PM
Post #2

Oh and that pic reminds me. I have an aluminum tire rack that mounts on the wall. This makes me quite nervous even if i run bolts all the way through the studs to outer skin. Thoughts?
+Quote Post
slivel
post Apr 22 2023, 11:22 AM
Post #3

Old car....... older driver

Member No.: 2,332
Region Association: Southern California

Looks similar to mine, but mine is 20'. Three photos before racks and three equipped for racing.
Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid=873
809]Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post Apr 22 2023, 01:09 PM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

We have a 24/V nose also
Tied the winch into a large-heavy built cabinet structure
Angled everything to fit the V. Winch up high

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
slivel
post Apr 22 2023, 01:25 PM
Post #5

Old car....... older driver

Member No.: 2,332

My winch is centered on the floor in the front. Is it better having the winch located high?
I only ever had to use my winch once when the transmission failed.

Since I have the side door on the left, I just drive and drive out and enter and exit my car with the driver's door fully open when it is inside the trailer on its tie down spot. I specifically looked for this feature when trailer shopping.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 22 2023, 03:02 PM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Having a winch is great. All the ones I’ve ever used are low. That way they don’t pull off a front spoiler. You might have a protruding tow eye on the front bumper but you want to make it possible to pull in any car (in my mind) Also, I bet it’s easier to reinforce the mounting point on the floor.
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Apr 22 2023, 05:44 PM
Post #7

Thanks for the views and suggestions. I too havent heard of a winch quite that high up but it it works for what you then cool!

Am thinking maybe i should go with the etrack and crossbeams for the two spare sets of wheels and tires. Will have to see where that would work. In current setup would probably have to do it in the very back. Meaning unloading every time...

Here is where i.made it to today. Was not fun assembling but once i figured out how to keep the frame frame falling apart constantly it got easier. Have the bottom shelf on upper cabinets to build then jump into the bottoms. So much to do!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Apr 22 2023, 05:45 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,377
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Bluetooth speakers. Can stream from your phone.
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Apr 22 2023, 05:46 PM
Post #9

Trailer isnt electrified just yet only powered from the cayenne so far so music will be a portable bluetooth for now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Apr 23 2023, 05:44 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

You want power, as you'll hate not having it when you need to snag something out of the trailer at night and the truck isn't attached.

NAPA 8D battery
Renology solar panel, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GF5JY35/
Mounting brackets, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CSKFWK7/
Windy Nation PV charge controller, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015S39PTU

Harbor Feight winches are decent for casual use. Don't get the smallest one, as you never know when you're going to need to drag a bustificated, partially-rolling race car into your trailer.

Remember, the winch can go anywhere, even off to the side, just add snatch blocks on e-tracks to move the pivot to where you happen to need it at the time.

One of the best storage devices I added to my trailer were "basements", aluminum containers that fit in between the lateral frames of the trailer. You'll cut the plywood floor and slip 'em right in, they're about a foot deep. Plywood covers. I don't know who makes them commercially but mine were custom-made by Rick at All Star Sheet Metal in New York.

A roof A/C, of course, with a generator large enough to run it. Add a SoftStart and you can run a 15k BTU A/C on a Honda E2200. https://www.softstartrv.com/

There is no end to these opportunities. I wish you luck in your journey.
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Apr 23 2023, 06:36 AM
Post #11

I will have to look into the floor storage idea!

So i have a winch and battery box on the way right now along with a solar panel to keep battery ready but that is going to only suffice for things like lights and winch use right? I will need to wire for plug in to run something like an ac unit i assume?

Thsi is what it looks like installed

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Apr 23 2023, 08:12 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Your winch box is inline with the basement storage concept.

Don't forget the charge controller for your PV. You can't just connect it straight to your battery otherwise you'll fry the battery.

The battery will run only 12V stuff, of course: lights, winch, USB charging stations. I've installed an inverter for light-duty 110VAC stuff like laptop charging.

Most things you want (like a TV and/or coffee machine) are available in 12V, just look for RV equipment outlets. It's more expensive, of course...

It's possible to run the A/C off an inverter but unless you have some INCREDIBLE battery storage you'll only be able to run it for a very short while. Like, an hour-and-a-half is all you'll get out of a 100aH battery, which will then take three days to recharge using solar. So, not practical.

I have an external shore plug on the front of my trailer for A/C and higher-load stuff. That, and the battery, feed into an RV power center to distribute and fuse/circuit breaker 12VDC and 110VAC needs.

https://www.bestconverter.com/Parallax-6730...ml#.ZEU653bMK5M

I've also added an auto transfer switch so that my light-duty 110AC draws will switch to shore power if that's connected, otherwise it'll draw from the battery/inverter. Large 110VAC draws (like A/C and a separate dedicated large-draw power strip) are on a circuit separate from the battery so there's no crossover (i.e., the A/C and that power strip cannot draw from the battery/inverter).

https://www.amazon.com/Parallax-Power-Suppl...r/dp/B002UC6XTI

All of this stuff is common in the RV industry. And like I said: there is no end to this game... - GA
+Quote Post
brant
post Apr 23 2023, 12:03 PM
Post #13

914 Wizard

I like it up high
Don’t have to bend down and crawl under the bench to get the cable. Everything is at arm length and eye level

It isn’t blocked by tool boxes on the floor
I exclusively use the winch to load and unload the car every time
2.0/ tall first gear and a 5.5 inch clutch that will not withstand slipping
It’s a straight shot for the cable without dragging on the ramp lip at the door

And have never struggled with a low car but could use a pulley in the E track if I needed to
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Apr 23 2023, 02:10 PM
Post #14

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463

E track on walls and floor sure make it handy to strap down other stuff, tables chars toolboxes etc…. Don’t forget outside the trailer, a retractable awning is nice, easier to set up and stow than an ezup. Lights, speakers, etc. definitely endless…

Here’s a no expense spared 35-40 footer my friend lets me use, heavier than shit, but it’s got most everything… deep upper and lower cabinets and workbench behind me in the pic. Winch mounted low.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Apr 23 2023, 06:13 PM
Post #15

Yikes that really is gorgeous and way grander than i need for sure! Oh to have unlimited funds.

Greg i definitely will have those on my want list in the futre. It is definitely endless and hitting what are esseentials for me for the moment without going overboard.

Brant you do you man! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Apr 28 2023, 09:43 PM
Post #16

Made good progress on cabinets today. Have uppers done aside from.a couple extra braces under the floor. Have the counter for the bottom ready just need to finish securing the face and finishing the side panel.

The floor battery and winch boxes will go in place tomorrow but not fully secured as i still have to lay down the floor. Will cut the holes, drill for the through bolts, but not tighten it all down. Will pull up the d-rings and cut the flooring to fit, then spray glue and reinstall all the anchors and boxes.

Then there is all the wiring which i am an idiot on so will either try and get some help or sub it out. Maybe i can just follow the directions lol.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Apr 29 2023, 12:55 PM
Post #17

Cabinets and the battery and winch boxes installed!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post Apr 29 2023, 03:01 PM
Post #18

914 Wizard

Nice work
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Apr 30 2023, 10:05 AM
Post #19

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463

Wow, looking great!
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Apr 30 2023, 04:21 PM
Post #20

Getting there! Today was really securing the cabinets and getting the battery/winch boxes installed properly. For cabinets added additional bracing and fine tuning. Going to take the trailer to a metal shop to get the floor of the upper cabinets done in 1/8 aluminum along with proper strap braces. Will likely do a double floor to minimize denting and keep things looking nice.

Also started in on flooring. Took out all the D-rings and the floor boxes are ready to pull back out. Did the big back door for just the flooring and will add L trim this week as i get time around the edges. I think it is gonna look great.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:46 AM