Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Getting old
r_towle
post May 5 2023, 01:41 PM
Post #1

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Start with carpel tunnel that has turned into arthritis
Hand hurt sometimes

I forgot how honestly stupid and hard things are todo in the “engine bay”

Trying to remove and replace the injectors on a 75
Adding air injection just makes it even more challenging to get done.

I just am being reminded how stupid some things are on this car.

I simply forgot, or it’s a memory I refused to save.

I’m glancing over at the fan belt, with air pump….that should be fun.

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 59)
Steve
post May 6 2023, 06:57 PM
Post #41

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ May 5 2023, 02:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ May 5 2023, 02:41 PM) *

I had 914’s since the late 70’s in my teens. Im now 62 and 20 pounds over weight, new knee and recent shoulder surgery. These were a lot easier to work on when I was younger and in better shape.

How on earth did you manage only 20 lbs!!!

I work out so I can work on my cars without turning into pudding. I still do. I am not super in shape but after trying to do stuff on the mustang my back is shot. At least on my 914 I can lay across the trunk...

I’m 5’10” and weighed around 150 out of high school. From 40-60 my weight hovered around 170. 174 is the high point of the BMI index. I’m now in the low 180’s eating a light breakfast no lunch, no junk food (carbs) and a light dinner. Metabolism is gone. Main reason for no lunch is so I don’t fall asleep on the job. It can always be worse. A close friend just passed away at 61, but he smoke and drank most of his life.
Smartest thing I did was buy an exercise bike and a scissor lift for the car. They have both helped a lot over the last 20 years.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 6 2023, 06:59 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ May 6 2023, 10:02 AM) *

Despite the high cost of living, it still remains popular.......

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

at 62 the biggest mistake i made was putting my 914 to sleep when i was 45.
........its now feeling a lot younger than me after being rip van winkled!!
and it lets me know it every chance it gets (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

still got my health. though for the life of me i can't understand why.
but i do increasingly have to take very long walks every 2-3 days so my bushings don't seize up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
gnomefabtech
post May 6 2023, 07:16 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 27,063
Region Association: None

I'm pretty able still but having a shop with a LIFT is a complete game changer. I can't recommend it enough. Dropping an engine is just a one hour job on a lift and then everything is easier.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
East coaster
post May 6 2023, 07:19 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 487

I’m keeping my mouth shut in this thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914dave
post May 7 2023, 03:17 AM
Post #45

914 Addict

Member No.: 1,262

61 and just had a lung transplant. Rheumatoid arthritis and renaud's disease. ( numbness in the fingers). 7 weeks post transplant , so I don't know how much of my strength I'll get back. Some of the post op drugs affect strength. Two years ago after Okteenerfest I was doing 10 mile hikes in the Smokey Mountains at 6500' and now this. The alternative to this condition wasn't appealing, so I'm not complaining.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 7 2023, 06:04 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

QUOTE(slowrodent @ May 6 2023, 08:22 AM) *

Each of you should take a moment and make an effort to reach back and pat your own back.... It's always a motivator for me to keep plugging away when I see other folks of a distinguished age who refuse to quit. I'm 65 and it is difficult to contort myself to do things that used to be easy. And I bang my head more. Frankly, I'm a bit scared to quit, as car stuff kindof defines me a bit at this point in my life. I'd be a wee bit lost without it....

Hobbies are far underrated. Keeping ones mind and body should be #1. Sure we all need a bit of $ to keep things going, but we only have one self.

Most important, follow the words of one Sir Winston Churchill " Never give up"

Myself, I am most interested in hanging around to continue adding positive influence into my daughters and grandkids lives
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post May 7 2023, 06:32 AM
Post #47

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Hey I’m a member of this “not so grumpy old man” club too! Two and a half years ago I found out the tremor in my left hand is Parkinson’s. Not the end of the world. I joined “Rock Steady Boxing” three times a week, which is non-contact, and I’m in better shape than I’ve been in 25 years, stronger than I think I’ve ever been, and keeping the progression of PD at a minimum. I retired the first of the year, and I’ve been working part time at a British car shop. Golf, playing guitar, boxing, and wrenching are all therapeutic for me. I thought I’d slow down some but I’m busier than ever, with no complaints.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 7 2023, 07:24 AM
Post #48

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Digital scale and portion control. A ‘serving’ of pasta, example, looks puny before boiling. When cooked, it’s plenty. Ice cream…2/3 of a cup is a ‘serving’. 2/3 of a cup is a ‘tease of IC’. Like a child’s cone. I limit the days I consume the stuff.
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post May 7 2023, 08:46 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 9,961
Region Association: South East States

So I’m seeing a shrinking market for these cars and parts ………as George Jones sings..,”who’s going to fill those shoes”……
Friends keep saying all the guys that did “that” (work on the 914) are retired or worse!
Uplifting thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
914Toy
post May 7 2023, 09:08 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 21,596

One of Winston Churchill's other comments was "when ever I feel like exercising, i lay down until it passes" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 7 2023, 09:10 AM
Post #51

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(sixaddict @ May 7 2023, 07:46 AM) *

So I’m seeing a shrinking market for these cars and parts ………as George Jones sings..,”who’s going to fill those shoes”……
Friends keep saying all the guys that did “that” (work on the 914) are retired or worse!
Uplifting thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I was thinking the same thing reading this thread. It’s like driving a model T compared to a modern appliance. I jump in my Toyota G86 for errands and only drive the 914 to cars & coffee and 914 events.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 7 2023, 09:53 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

QUOTE(914Toy @ May 7 2023, 09:08 AM) *

One of Winston Churchill's other comments was "when ever I feel like exercising, i lay down until it passes" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Speaking of Sir Winston, today is V-E day

They don't make them like him anymore, simply a great man in many ways
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 7 2023, 09:59 AM
Post #53

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

As a practicing Family Medicine physician, I see these issues daily and work with my patients to improve AND prolong life. It helps that it’s just me, no staff, no admin overlords. Typical visits are an hour and we get into issues to better understand and work on interventions. I do a Direct Primary Care (DPC) model, so low monthly fee rather than nickel and dime patient over everything. If any of you want to check out my clinic, I’m in Milford, OH 45150
www.GoodWorksDPC.com

I used to feel that the statement, “you are only as old as you feel” was a good one. Then 41 hit and I went from indestructible to having cardiac issues for the last 5 yrs. Picture is 12/8/22 after some valve work in my heart due to an opportunistic infection that destroyed two out of four valves and damn near killed me as I ignored the symptoms and continued to work…until I couldn’t . I envy the senior members that don’t have major problems, or have them later in life when the stats support their occurrence. The support here for older owners is inspiring and why this group is such a valuable resource. Any of you near me and need help, let me know. I’m back up and slowly recovering, doing lots of transmission rebuilds, and going to cardio rehab twice a week, still, while seeing my own patients n my practice and doing two days at the VA. Stay busy, but don’t burn out. I am great full for the wealth of knowledge and experience that all of you older guys freely provide from having been there and done that. Next purchase is a lift for the home shop…

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
snakemain
post May 7 2023, 11:02 AM
Post #54

Ronin Member

Member No.: 11,232

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 5 2023, 05:19 PM) *

I inherited my Dad's shaky hands (probably a sign of something bigger). When my arms start to get tired, my hands will shake when trying do delicate work. I can still swing an axe with surety and strength, but if I try to start a small screw or nut, I often drop it. I first noticed it in my early 30's and thought "My Dad's hands do the same". 20 years later, still brushing it off.

Sucks after a day of yard work, beat to the bone, go to grab a cool brew at dinner and everyone thinks I have a drinking problem because the glass is shaking. Oh well.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I do the same exact thing! Mow and weedeat, and I can't hold a thing without shaking enough to spill it. Try to hold a plastic cup full of beer and I will crush it as I strain to hold it steady. Some days just trying to get a pill out of a bottle is a challenge without dumping the whole bottle.
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post May 7 2023, 01:06 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

I purchased a Bend-Pac XPR-10A-LP 7 years ago and it has been a life saver...

7 years down the road I'm a bit older and less agile and I'm finding just getting down on the floor to set the lift legs is NOW a PIA.

The down is easy, getting back up is where I'm having trouble.

Once you have one of these you can never go back...

This means you HAVE to have a shop with at least 12' 6" ceiling height.

You need 6" rebar reinforced floor.

Got to have 220 service.

Moving and installing these is a trick as well.

I checked out 5 companies that install lifts.

Not a one used floor stud epoxy and I ended up installing myself as I could not find anyone I trusted.

Not all that hard except when your hammer drill hits a piece of re-bar, sticks, and the tool head tries to beat you to death...
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 7 2023, 01:41 PM
Post #56

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 7 2023, 10:59 AM) *

I do a Direct Primary Care (DPC) model, so low monthly fee rather than nickel and dime patient over everything. If any of you want to check out my clinic, I’m in Milford, OH 45150
www.GoodWorksDPC.com

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

My hero. Currently trying to find a direct care primary . . . It’s not easy. Way too many bought into the insurance and Medicare model.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 7 2023, 03:34 PM
Post #57

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 7 2023, 07:59 AM) *

I’m back up and slowly recovering, doing lots of transmission rebuilds, and going to cardio rehab twice a week, still, while seeing my own patients n my practice and doing two days at the VA. Stay busy, but don’t burn out. I am great full for the wealth of knowledge and experience that all of you older guys freely provide from having been there and done that. Next purchase is a lift for the home shop…

Good on ya Doc. Sounds like you’ve got a handle on the recovery process from the other side of the stethoscope. I appreciate your VA service. We need your expertise and appreciation of veteran’s issues.

From one grateful vet to another.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 7 2023, 03:50 PM
Post #58

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 7 2023, 03:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 7 2023, 10:59 AM) *

I do a Direct Primary Care (DPC) model, so low monthly fee rather than nickel and dime patient over everything. If any of you want to check out my clinic, I’m in Milford, OH 45150
www.GoodWorksDPC.com

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

My hero. Currently trying to find a direct care primary . . . It’s not easy. Way too many bought into the insurance and Medicare model.

Here you go. They are not all in there, but there are many of them.
https://mapper.dpcfrontier.com/

Insurance is an evil endeavor that profits off of the suffering of patients and physicians. I havent taken it since 2016 via working for the govt or myself.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 7 2023, 03:51 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 7 2023, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 7 2023, 07:59 AM) *

I’m back up and slowly recovering, doing lots of transmission rebuilds, and going to cardio rehab twice a week, still, while seeing my own patients n my practice and doing two days at the VA. Stay busy, but don’t burn out. I am great full for the wealth of knowledge and experience that all of you older guys freely provide from having been there and done that. Next purchase is a lift for the home shop…

Good on ya Doc. Sounds like you’ve got a handle on the recovery process from the other side of the stethoscope. I appreciate your VA service. We need your expertise and appreciation of veteran’s issues.

From one grateful vet to another.

I absolutely hate being a patient. I do put my money where my mouth is and get my care through the VA. The current one I work at needs lots and lots of help.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 7 2023, 03:58 PM
Post #60

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378

You know you’re getting old when the first TURP is overcome by your BPH and it’s time for another one 10 years down the road. When the tissue sampling for C comes back neg it’s a relief.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 08:10 PM