Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bluey the $400 Porsche
nditiz1
post Jun 2 2023, 06:22 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Just went through this. Had to cut a slot and use a flat blade socket. Got them all out to replace.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Jul 24 2023, 10:05 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 25,642
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hello everybody! I finally got the CVs disconnected- the stripped bolts and the unrelenting heat (100º+) killed my motivation for a little bit. I tried everything I could, and they would not budge. I finally decided to contact my neighbor who builds drift cars to see if he could possibly weld some nuts to the ends, as I do not own a welder. It turns out he’s a super nice guy, and although the welding didn’t work, he decided to take a crack at them himself. He cut huge slots in the bolts, and we used a socket wrench holding a chisel to screw them out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) I’m grateful that I decided to contact him, because not only are my stripped bolts out- I have also made a new friend as well. All that is left is to drain the oil, and then the motor will be out! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Jul 24 2023, 10:36 AM
Post #23

I just keep stumbling upon 70’s porsches in my neighborhood! While walking my dog, I caught a glimpse of a yellow car that was behind a gate at an elderly neighbor’s house. I don’t remember ever seeing any car back there, so I took a peek: it’s a rally yellow 1977 924! A few weeks later, I was driving by when I saw him outside doing yard work. I decided to ask him about it, and he was very happy to show it to me. Apparently it was under a tarp this whole time, but the tarp finally ripped. It seems to be in pretty great shape, 91k miles. He said his left knee got bad, so he could no longer work the clutch. He also told me that he was tossing around donating it to PBS. I made an offer, but he thought it was too low, which was funny because he said he was going to donate it just a sentence ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) But, I gave him my contact info! He seemed pretty motivated to get rid of it, so maybe he will call.

Attached ImageAttached Image

Back to work on the 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jul 24 2023, 11:05 AM
Post #24

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Beware the slippery slope.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jul 24 2023, 01:20 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 24 2023, 11:05 AM) *

many of us get caught and never recover
+Quote Post
Freezin 914
post Jul 24 2023, 02:39 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 17,687
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Stick with the 914, 924 can be fun, but my guess is, the blue car will be using plenty of your time and money. The 924 will do the same. I would focus on just one. Just my .02.
I have personally been there with multiple projects, it can get a bit overwhelming and you will end up not really getting anything done on either.
But I have been wrong before. Best of luck either way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Jul 24 2023, 03:28 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Jul 24 2023, 02:39 PM) *

Stick with the 914, 924 can be fun, but my guess is, the blue car will be using plenty of your time and money. The 924 will do the same. I would focus on just one. Just my .02.
I have personally been there with multiple projects, it can get a bit overwhelming and you will end up not really getting anything done on either.
But I have been wrong before. Best of luck either way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

This is exactly what I was thinking. Although it pains me to let such a nice 924 go, I barely have the skillset to work on my car, let alone a water cooled fuel injected motor. Also dumping tons of money into a ‘77 4 speed emissions choked 924 all because it’s a rare color isn't the best idea. I’ll only take it if he comes back with a miraculously low price. Lightning rarely strikes twice though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jul 24 2023, 09:45 PM
Post #28

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 24 2023, 11:20 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 24 2023, 11:05 AM) *

many of us get caught and never recover

Will you own the car....or will the car own you?
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Aug 1 2023, 11:14 AM
Post #29

After a few headaches (and way too much time), the motor is finally out. It fell off the Jack plate a little bit coming out, and I forgot to disconnect the accelerator cable (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) but otherwise it went pretty smoothly! I’m incredibly proud of myself, as I feel this is a big feat for somebody with no prior mechanical experience. Now it’s time to see what we are working with! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Excuse the nightmarish mess in the garage, I’m not the only person who uses it to store their junk… but, at least my junk is cool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Aug 1 2023, 08:47 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343

Nice work so far! Now you can start unbolting engine parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

And a belated welcome to the four corners area 914 club. There are a few of us in Durango, and more in ABQ. If you have nothing better to do on Labor Day come up here for our annual car show. I can promise some 914s to look over. We also have a C&C on the first Saturday each month, usually with 914 action.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 2 2023, 04:33 AM
Post #31

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

Yes, in fact one of the east coast’s best deserted us for the dustier pastures of New Mexico (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Big Len

Seriously, Len is a great guy and will probably put some kind of gathering together at some point, meeting owners is one of the best ways to both learn and get inspiration to tackle projects on the car. Looks like you have a great start with yours (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Joe
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Aug 2 2023, 09:21 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 1 2023, 08:47 PM) *

Nice work so far! Now you can start unbolting engine parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

And a belated welcome to the four corners area 914 club. There are a few of us in Durango, and more in ABQ. If you have nothing better to do on Labor Day come up here for our annual car show. I can promise some 914s to look over. We also have a C&C on the first Saturday each month, usually with 914 action.

Thank you! I will be sure to check it out! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Aug 2 2023, 09:36 AM
Post #33

QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 2 2023, 04:33 AM) *

Yes, in fact one of the east coast’s best deserted us for the dustier pastures of New Mexico (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Big Len

Seriously, Len is a great guy and will probably put some kind of gathering together at some point, meeting owners is one of the best ways to both learn and get inspiration to tackle projects on the car. Looks like you have a great start with yours (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Joe

I think I might’ve actually met Len! His name sounds super familiar. Does he have a red ‘74 1.8 that is in immaculate condition? If so, I’ve met him!
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 2 2023, 10:40 AM
Post #34

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

That’s him (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Aug 2 2023, 12:28 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 18,984
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 2 2023, 02:33 AM) *

Joe

Just because it hasn’t rained in 73 days does not mean you can call us dusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuke.gif)
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Aug 14 2023, 12:06 PM
Post #36

With the motor out, I’ve finally been able to get a clear view of the valves, and it looks the way that I suspected! Water damage! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I’m glad I didn’t try and start this thing in the car.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
WizPorsche914
post Aug 15 2023, 08:46 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 8,479

Whatever happened with that yellow 924 ?
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Aug 15 2023, 09:41 AM
Post #38

QUOTE(WizPorsche914 @ Aug 15 2023, 08:46 AM) *

I never heard back from him after I went over there to look at it. It has also been sitting for a considerable amount of time and is going to need quite a bit of TLC, and I don’t know if I can juggle two basket case Porsches. If he wanted less money for it than he does, I’d be getting it. There are quite a few 924s that are for sale that RUN for not much more than what he wants for it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
WizPorsche914
post Aug 15 2023, 11:04 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 8,479

QUOTE(WizPorsche914 @ Aug 15 2023, 10:46 AM) *

Yeah sounds like it would be more problems then what its worth. I would just worry about the 914 for now.
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Aug 25 2023, 03:26 PM
Post #40

This past Saturday something very lucky happened at cars and coffee. I was talking to my buddy who has a ‘74 1.8 when all of a sudden a man approaches us, and asks us if we need any parts. He tells us he has what is practically a ‘914 junkyard’ with all the parts you could ever dream of, at liquidation prices.

The following day we visit him, and let me tell you, it is NUTS. He’s gotta have at least 30 914s in different conditions in his backyard, from running to totaled shells. I had a list of items I wanted, and I got to work tracking them down. I ended up purchasing 911 front struts, rotors, calipers etc, a right front turn signal lens, and a set of genuine 14 x 5.5 Fuchs. He also has a set of trailing arms and rear brakes from a 914/6 that are in good condition that I will return for.

Now, all of this set me back just… $1400. This is a crazy good deal, considering the Fuchs were just $800.

The wheels are a mismatched set, stamped 1970, 1969, 1969, 1968- I will send them for restoration before they get put on the car, because I’m not a fan of the unpainted, polished look. At the moment they overpower the car, especially since it’s such a turd.

Attached Image

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:20 AM