Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: Linux Distro on Laptop
Sparky
post Aug 14 2005, 08:11 AM
Post #1

Mahna Mahna!

Group: Members
Member No.: 847

So I've got this spare Thinkpad T23, they are cheap on eBay, and wanted to run something lite and not resource intensive for using out in the garage. I decided on Linux, but trying to get any of the bigger name distro's to install was a pain in the a$$.... I spent several hours trying RedHat and suSe and Slackware. It would literally take the better part of a day to get anything running half stable but with quirky xwindows problems. Then I found Ubuntu...Very nice and easy to install distro, it's one of those Live CD versions so you can run off of the cd to test it out before doing the install. In all it probably took 30 minutes to install and has been running smoothly without any issue for about 24 hours now. I haven't tweeked the kernel yet but it self installed and configured ON A LAPTOP! That is almost of unheard of in the Linux world.

Ok done geeking out... back to grinding rust (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

My best,
Mike D.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 12:22 AM