Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Getting the pedals closer in line for foot work., Want to lower the brake pedal...
peteinjp
post Jun 16 2023, 11:45 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,723
Region Association: None

Gotcha – thanks!

Actually, I think the modulation on the 21 mm master cylinder is pretty good. I’m not sure I want more travel than this but you’ve got me curious so I might have to try a 19 mm just to compare.

Pete
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Jun 17 2023, 12:01 AM
Post #22

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

I had a little different problem with my brake pedal. I have a 76 with the factory center console. Because the console limited my right foot placement, my size 13 feet didn’t fit on the gas pedal without dragging the right side of the brake pedal, not good. I ended up cutting the brake pedal off it’s arm and rewelding the pedal to the arm on the pedal’s right edge. I also welded a small triangular gusset from arm to pedal to keep it from bending under braking pressure. Net result is an additional inch of space for my big foot on the gas pedal, no more brake dragging…
+Quote Post
peteinjp
post Jun 17 2023, 04:04 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 25,723

Yeah- Momo console on my car. I’m sure I’d be hitting it if there were.

Pete
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jun 17 2023, 05:42 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 15,610

You may want to consider simply a larger wider throttle pedal? That could help solve the brake getting in the way of your foot as well. Plenty of bolt on options out there that you could use from the track world.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Racer
post Jun 17 2023, 07:27 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

What about left foot braking? Then you don't have to adjust any pedals (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jun 17 2023, 07:21 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 15,610

QUOTE(Racer @ Jun 17 2023, 09:27 AM) *

What about left foot braking? Then you don't have to adjust any pedals (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Doesnt work when you are shifting and need to work the clutch at the same time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jun 18 2023, 04:40 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

convert it to rhd.
you are in japan?
why drive in the gutter when you don't have to.

all your problems solved (but with some added new ones. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )

no dead pedal for your clutch foot thats for sure.

i forgot how i did this.
is half a lifetime ago.
but we frigged around with the loud pedal and its positioned further forward at its base of where it is left hand drive. i seem to remember we copied the crayfords car.

its great for heel and toe. just right when you are really standing on the brake with the ball of your foot. (sorry for photo, dont really take photos with an iphone when i am going flat tilt into braking for a corner!).
just never solved the old left foot problem, which is always a problem r h d.
(cept in my lovely little renault clio with its thankfully unfrench moment of non arrogance and thoughtful provision of a dead pedal on the side of the centre console, very unfrench).

what i am i saying. think i am saying find a new hinge point for loud pedal closer to the seat? i wish i could remember exactly what we did but its too long ago. i could get the pedal board off and photograph it but i am not sure its applicable to left hand drive.
there is a few other things going on with my pedal cluster as its not a rhd 911 cluster for rhd, its the original 914 pedal cluster severely screwed with, as per crayfords.
you can tell by the weird diagonal slash for the brake pedal lever. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ignore that.
ignore the gently massaged wheel well too. not enough to screw with 165 tyre clearance but enough to get the loud pedal the vital few centimeters right so i did not feel like a mongoloid driving on a diagonal with a surgically enhanced left leg to work the clutch.

Attached Image
Attached Image

if you look close at the heel pad in the carpet you can see its a re-use of the original factory pad. just spot the indent for accelerator on extreme right hand side.
gives you an idea of just how weirdly different the right hand problem is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
but nothing to do with getting that angle on the loud pedal just right.
+Quote Post
Racer
post Jun 18 2023, 11:03 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(BillJ @ Jun 17 2023, 09:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer @ Jun 17 2023, 09:27 AM) *

Doesnt work when you are shifting and need to work the clutch at the same time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Agreed, but the OP didn't mention heel/toe/downshiting, justst gas/brake transition.
I don't have advice fir the OP how best to help. Someone else posted, learn to drive what you have. Adapt as needed.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Jun 19 2023, 06:20 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

my brake pedal when braking is flush with the pas, perfect for heel and toe. Or in my case I just roll my foot over to burp the gas while down shifting. over 20 years doing this and the transmission loves it. Best, Mark
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 12:26 AM