Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I'd like to go racing, and check off a big box on the bucket list, but how do I do it?
Type 47
post May 29 2023, 05:54 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,790
Region Association: None

QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 26 2023, 01:42 PM) *

Yet another part of the slippery slope to carefully consider is the moment you've got a non-streetable true 'race car' then you're talking about trailering, which then implies having a storage place at home or elsewhere, a viable tow vehicle, etc etc.

I stupidly for example have paid vastly more in offsite storage charges for my trailer than the thing is actually worth, but I don't have room for it at home.

I can relate to the storage deal, had a couple fo 914 engines and parts in storage for 10 years...finally got my 914 put together and got rid of the storage.

The one thing I do have covered is the trailer. Even with HPDE/open track events when you go to R compound tires you need a trailer, especially when you are going to tracks from Road America to Road Atlanta.

Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 30 2023, 05:16 AM
Post #22

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

I can sell you my F Production car.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post May 30 2023, 05:56 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

^^^That's not a hateful idea. The car was very successful in the mid-00s in FP, and we know for a fact the engine is in great shape (I borrowed Chris' engine in 2019 for my historics 914 when I broke a crankshaft in my 2L).

If'n I were of the mind to build a 914 racer, Chris' car would be at the top of my list. - GA
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post May 31 2023, 08:28 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 20,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Vintage racing, at least in our area, is going through a sea change. Car counts, from when I started in FV are down quite a bit. The days of seeing 15+ 356's and a bunch of 911's running around are gone. A few of the bigger "teams" (rich guys with big car collections) have either gone on to other things or spend their time at bigger events.

They recently updated car rules to make post 1970 cars eligible. This has allowed 914s in, along with a bunch of other cars like early Miata's. It sounds like some of the larger orgs like SVRA and HSMA are healthier.

I started with HPDE in the early 2000's in a 911 SC. I started wheel to wheel in vintage FV, which is the cheapest way to go racing. You have way more experience than I did when I started.

I bought and updated a tribute GT 6 914 a few years ago. It was a former time trial car that needed some wheel to wheel safety upgrades. But with a fairly recent type 1 diabetes diagnosis, and other life changes, I've decided to retire after a few events.

You already have some of the big stuff. Track time, a truck and trailer. I'm not sure you'll find vintage, for example, a ton more expensive than HPDE in a Z06. Especially if you go with a lighter car like a 914 that is easier on tires, brakes and gas. Heck, a FV can run a few seasons on a set of tires if you want and brakes? I'm not sure I ever changed out the shoes in 6-7 years.

If I were you, I'd scratch the itch by buying a developed 914 4 or 6 and start in vintage. If you really catch the bug and want to do non vintage events, you can approach that later with the same or a different car. Life is short and changes quickly. Do stuff that excites you! Best of luck!

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post May 31 2023, 09:12 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 17,377
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If Chris will sell you his F Car you'd be set.
As for the trailering issue, those can be rented or borrowed too. Even with a "Tow Dolly" from U-haul. I live close to a local track (PIR) and could flat tow my 914 to it. The problem with that solution is if anything breaks in the suspension / wheel category you're stuck. I have found the racetrack community to be incredibly generous, and if you did break they'll rally around and help you get home.
As for cost, that's directly related to how much work on the car you can do yourself. My current 914 was purpose built for racing way back, but had fallen on hard times. I picked it up relatively inexpensively but it's taken hundreds of hours and still not track ready. My plan is to primarily DE it, but race a couple times a year in vintage groups for fun. The operative here is fun. To be on the podium, as said, you'll need to bring a suitcase of money. If you're willing to coach others, the cost of track time goes down. A lot.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:33 PM