Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Everyday Driver, Tell us how you are enjoying your 914
Txbentleyboy
post Jun 8 2023, 08:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,498
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Just wondering how many of you use your 914 as a car on a regular basis, and why?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 8 2023, 08:56 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

A wonderful , yet 50 year old car.
No longer a DD, though mine was for a while.
+Quote Post
NotLance
post Jun 8 2023, 09:27 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 25,165
Region Association: Northern California

Drove it every day Senior year, this year it's been sitting back at home (first years cannot keep a car on campus), except for when I visit and it gets some exercise.

Soon it will be back on daily duty as finals are coming up next week and it will return to daily duty.

I think it makes a great daily driver - maneuverable with 2 trunks and a removable roof!

(The fact it is my only car may also influence things)
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jun 8 2023, 09:29 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Bought mine at the end or 2009 and daily drove it for 10 years; work, drive kids to school (one at a time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)), errands, canyon pleasure rides, Rennsport 2x, roadtrip, POC DE days, ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Going to Rennsport VI (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

Attached Image

Decided to begin its restoration three years ago and miss driving it everyday. Definitely the main motivation through this long process... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Current status... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Jun 9 2023, 04:55 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Mine is not a DD but I do take it to work (Kelly-Moss) on nice days. Its a fast 40 mile trip, I can't stop smiling when I get out of the car. We usually have 30 to 40 Porsche to look at, but last week a little contrast. GT 40 Tribute, Bug Eyed Sprite and my 914-6 GT Tribute.Attached Image
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jun 9 2023, 06:35 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 24,781

I drove mine from 82’ till 85’ as a daily. After 91’ it was again my dd
for a few years. Wasn’t the cars fault I stopped driving it, I just had to
have an auto trans for a while. It made a great daily driver, it rarely broke down and when it did I could push it home.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Jun 9 2023, 06:48 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,753

Bought mine the day after graduating college in 74. Drove it as only car and DD from 74-83, driving from Richmond to Cleveland two days later for a friend’s wedding.
Was thinking of selling it when changing jobs having a longer commute, but friends who had sold their 65 Mustang, 69 GTO, etc all advised me that I’d regret it as they did.
It languished for 20 years with occasional driving and repairs due to finances, job, family, etc. Finally got back to it seriously about 10 years ago. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jun 9 2023, 07:16 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,428

For the past 10 years, my 74 2.0 has served as my primary car unless there is salt on the roads. It has even been pressed into emergency service during winter a few times if my truck goes down.

For me, its the experience of driving it. It makes the journey as much fun as the destination. I always arrive with a smile on my face.

Driving it daily makes the 4 year restoration worth it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Jun 9 2023, 07:25 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Txbentleyboy @ Jun 8 2023, 06:14 PM) *

Just wondering how many of you use your 914 as a car on a regular basis, and why?

My "Mistress" is not a daily driver, but I do drive her regularly and will be participating in a new to me event week after next. The "Freedom Road Rally" in Ohio is a 5 day driving tour for vehicles made before 1974 and I have no experience with this group. It will be interesting to see what variety of cars show up, must be able to maintain a 55 MPH road speed, not a problem for my 73 teener that was originally from Ohio. Thought I should represent our mark and see some venues I've never before seen in my old native state. Wish me luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 9 2023, 09:24 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

I love my 75 because it needs paint so I do not have to worry about road debris hurting a 15,000 paint job. Although the car has low miles and all of the options, the bad paint makes it a GREAT daily driver

QUOTE(Txbentleyboy @ Jun 8 2023, 07:14 PM) *

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 9 2023, 09:32 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

They make great daily drivers, but hard to compete with a modern car. The 914 was my second car at 19 years old and it was my only car until i turned 24 back in 1984. I then bought a VW Sirocco thinking it would be a better daily driver. I was wrong, but it was easier to work on. After I got out of College in 1986, I got into sales and needed a more convenient car with AC, so the 914 became a weekend toy.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jun 9 2023, 09:55 AM
Post #12

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Haven't driven a 914 daily for 10 years. Last DD was a 75' 2.0 with L-Jet and custom gears. That was a good driver. Dunno if my current 914 would make a good driver.
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Jun 9 2023, 04:29 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 20,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My 70 was bought as a virtual non runner that had sat for years. It has been made to be a fairly reliable driver. I like the condition because it looks nice from 20 feet but on closer inspection it has many warts from regular use by the original owner who I've met and gotten to know a bit.

I drive it regularly in decent weather. I have a modern sedan daily driver but am getting ready to sell that as my wife retires. We'll be with one modern SUV and Truck. The 914 and 356 will get even more regular use. I hate driving my big truck for anything but towing our travel trailer.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jun 9 2023, 07:05 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Back in the 1990s I drove my second 914 for about 3 years as a DD and road trip car. I only gave that up because I could not get two people and a baby seat in the car.

With my current restored 914, I am just getting used to letting it out for special events. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Jun 10 2023, 08:50 AM
Post #15

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207

I used our car as a daily driver from 1972 until 1989, over 150,000 miles--including 4 years of commuting from Redmond/Issaquah to Boeing Filed in Seattle. Now it's retired from that role and only comes out on nice days. Me too.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jun 11 2023, 05:26 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

I have been taking my '75 914 home mostly every night, excepting when rain is in the forecast. My DD is a new F150, but driving the 914 brings back memories from 50 years ago cruising in a beat up bug, then Karmann, fastback, ..... The lightness, go kart feel is simply fun and the mpg is good.
+Quote Post
Txbentleyboy
post Jun 12 2023, 12:41 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 20,498

My 1976 is also suffering from the same nicks and dings of 50 years of use. While a 70k car it also looks good from 20-30 feet. I plan on driving it more and more as I sort out things. The last thing will be paintwork. What new car could provide as much joy to drive?
+Quote Post
mskala
post Jun 13 2023, 04:51 AM
Post #18

R

Member No.: 79
Region Association: None

For the last 3 seasons I've been driving the 914 to work whenever it is not going to rain.
The top usually just stays off for most of the summer. Yesterday 2 different guys in their 20's in old Corollas went out of their way to give the thumbs up.

Before that, this -6 was my autocross car from 2000-2018 until I thought it deserved
retirement, but also did some long weekend trips and general driving too. I've put 90000 miles on the car in 24 years.

I had a '73 1.7 before that, just a driver from 1990-1999.

First car was a '73 2.0 in college, so that being my only car was actual daily driver from 1987-1990. Back then up north you would be buying the 165 tires as that's what gave
you grip in the snow.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Jun 13 2023, 06:16 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740

I drive it whenever I can (no snow or salt or rain).

And I try to have fun with it too.
https://youtu.be/r5HXCcm1eqI

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 13 2023, 07:23 AM
Post #20

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

The 74 1.8L 914 was bought it in 1985, and it was a daily driver until 2020. It had 435,000 miles on it when it got tagged from behind. So in driving distance, it almost made a round trip to the moon and back (477,710 miles).

Good mileage, fun to drive, and being able to decompress in a 914 on the way home from work is priceless!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:24 PM