Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Valve train, Information
sjhenry1075
post Jun 27 2023, 09:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,709
Region Association: North East States

Hey everyone,

I apologize if this is common knowledge, I am just trying to learn my one thing for the day.

So I am building a 2056 and I just need a little more information regarding rockers/swivel foot adjusters, 8mm vs 10mm adjusting screws, etc..

I currently have a stock 1.7 that came with my 71, but I am also building a 2056 that will have dual 40 IDF's, 86a cam, and 2.0 heads with 44/38 valves.

I keep reading about using 1.7 rockers. Are they referring to the rockers on 1.7 engines? What is the benefit to using swivel foot adjusters? 911 adjusters?

I am really trying to learn as much as possible about these engines and each component.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Jun 27 2023, 09:51 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

the 1.7 rockers already have the correct thread size to accept swivel feet adjusters
they will need to be machined slightly to work and give you correct range of adjustment
there are threads about how to machine them, and you can even use a grinder to get that clearance.

the later 2.0 motors use a different thread size so can not accept swivel feet.
I believe there may be an aftermarket swivel feet made for them currently

the advantage of the swivel foot is that it swivels/flexes to better make contact at the correct angle with the valve stem

so better fitment.. more even wear... and slightly better alignment in the valve trail
potentially with less wear they will maintain that clearance setting better.

you need to also measure and make custom pushrods during assembly to get equal lift on each of the 8 rockers.

search valve train geometry threads.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
cgnj
post Jun 27 2023, 10:00 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 403
Region Association: None

You have correct rockers for 911 swivel feet. They have to be machined to accomodate the 911 adjusters. there are threads that detail the machining.

The 10mm adjusters work with 2.0 & 1.8 rockers. They also need to be machined. You would have to order them from Germany or find a seller on TheSamba.

The 1.7 rockers with 911 feet. Easy button
+Quote Post
rfinegan
post Jun 27 2023, 10:15 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I was in the opinion that the new SS valves are not has hard as the hardened Rocker tips on both the 1.7 (8mm)and 2.0 10(mm)rocker arms
The 911 swivel rockers and be easily fitted to the 1.7 rocker shaft with a few machined cuts and will reduce the wear to the valves. More Important with higher lift cams. These 911 swivels are a Few $$ more than the after market ones but have YEARS or dependable history.
After makers are now avaialbe in 8mm and 10mm for 1.7 and 2.0 shafts and the feed back has been pretty good. So either should be ok
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jun 27 2023, 10:44 AM
Post #5

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

What hasnt been mentioned is they (adjusters) are also lighter that the 1.8-2.0L solid versions = better

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sjhenry1075
post Jun 27 2023, 01:29 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 14,709
Region Association: North East States

Thank you for all the replies, it's definitely helpful!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 08:38 AM