Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> CV Joint Orientation for Wear Surface, Which way?
DennisV
post Jul 9 2023, 12:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,575
Region Association: Northern California

I discovered that the inner race (aka cross or spider) of our CV joint has noticeable wear. Not just shiny spots, but wear you can feel with your finger.

When reassembling, how I should I orient these so that the wear surface is the opposite side? Do I have this right?
Attached Image
Attached Image
drawing credit CV Joint Blog

I realize the best solution would be to replace the CV joint. After a few hours of research, I've learned that it is not easy to find a set of 914-6 CV joints. Alternatively, replace the entire drive shaft with 914-4. Not cheap. So why not try flipping these races to another wear surface and get some more life out of them?

P.S. I probably should have paid more attention to driver vs passenger drive shaft and which CV joint went at each end. Alas I did not when I threw things in the parts washer.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th May 2024 - 05:50 AM