Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looks like the 911 will be the last man standing.
Unobtanium-inc
post Jul 27 2023, 11:29 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

In the future Porsche line-up, the 911 will stand alone.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-tran...els-2023-07-26/

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jul 27 2023, 11:46 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

So Europe is struggling to keep the power grid up and bringing old power plants back on line, all the more reason to go EV.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jul 27 2023, 12:00 PM
Post #3

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nothing against EV's, heck, in 1903 97% of vehicles on the road were electric. I even 50% owned one of the early Tesla Roadsters (fun car) with a buddy of mine years ago.

I do see a major grid issue though. I've seen EV's waiting in line to charge for 30-60 minutes? Hours?

On our little island, there is very limited chargers/dedicated spaces. Tourist season sees many EV's waiting around to charge.

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 27 2023, 12:14 PM
Post #4

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

There are places where they work, and places where they don't. I think over time, and not too far out - 10 to 20 years, charging stations will be like gas stations. And in 40 years gas stations will be like charging stations now - you have to look for them.

Porsche is leading the charge. Not a surprise given their relationship to VW, which is really pushing electric cars forward in Europe.

I hope to have my 4Runner for another 16 years. But when its time, I bet I'm shopping for an electric truck, not a gas one.

Zach
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jul 27 2023, 12:38 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 27 2023, 10:14 AM) *

I hope to have my 4Runner for another 16 years. But when its time, I bet I'm shopping for an electric truck, not a gas one.

Zach

I just sold my 250,000 mile Silverado and bought a Honda Ridgeline, but I suspect it too will probably be the last gas one I have. Maybe not, but maybe.
+Quote Post
dirk2056
post Jul 27 2023, 12:52 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 21,304
Region Association: Middle East

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) Good luck with the EV world stopped at a Buc-ee's The other day I was pump # 264 and every pump was being used. I figure it takes 10 to 15 min to fill a standard car or truck. No way in hell is there or ever going to be 264 charging stations in one location. I'm not sure what future technology is available EV look to be a long shot.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jul 27 2023, 12:52 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

How much do we know about the Shell racing fuel, I recently saw something in Pano about this fuel, not derived from the ground and very clean.

I am not sure EV is the answer?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jul 27 2023, 01:03 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dirk2056 @ Jul 27 2023, 10:52 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) Good luck with the EV world stopped at a Buc-ee's The other day

He's a friend.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
targa72e
post Jul 27 2023, 11:26 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 20,392

Ok, So my take on EV. If you own a house with a garage you will never visit a charging station unless you are on a trip of 300+ miles. Its like leaving your house with a full tank of gas every time you drive. If you do not own a house then you are at the mercy of where you can charge.
In my current life i drive most of my miles for work at about 15,000 miles a year (i do not commute to a office this is random locations about town for customer visits). I go 300+ miles a day about 6 times a year and 1200 miles 1 to 2 times a year. When I am going cross country (1200 miles for personal use) I rent a car. Renting for long distance travel ends up being less cost than the wear and tear on my own car ( based on general guidance of .55Cents per mile) and If my car breaks down I can swap for another from the rental company and I have road side assistance. I fully expect to have a EV in my future as a daily driver. With the demise of manual transmission cars I enjoy, I will have to enjoy my old manual transmission ICE cars when I am not driving the slog thru big city traffic or the 1-2 miles to the grocery store.

john
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 28 2023, 06:23 AM
Post #10

En Garde!

QUOTE(targa72e @ Jul 28 2023, 01:26 AM) *

Ok, So my take on EV. If you own a house with a garage you will never visit a charging station unless you are on a trip of 300+ miles. Its like leaving your house with a full tank of gas every time you drive...
In my current life i drive most of my miles for work at about 15,000 miles a year (i do not commute to a office this is random locations about town for customer visits). I go 300+ miles a day about 6 times a year and 1200 miles 1 to 2 times a year.

This is about where I am too. Maybe a few more road trips in the about 300 mile range.
On hunting weeks I'll likely need to get a solar setup to charge the truck while it sits since the cabin is 100% off grid.

I keep finding myself looking at the ID Buzz, but I know I'm not buying a new car right now.

Zach
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 28 2023, 06:36 AM
Post #11

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

We have a plug in hybrid.
In the northeast we have started to see some more places to plug in, but not nearly enough.
We have solar on the roof….so I am up for a pure electric, while keeping a gas car for any longer (rare) trips.

I would love to see much smaller cars.
Short around town grocery getters do not need to be massive, and would be faster to charge…..

But, I too am waiting to see when I can buy the IDBuzz
+Quote Post
flipb
post Jul 28 2023, 07:14 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 10,752

QUOTE(targa72e @ Jul 28 2023, 01:26 AM) *

Ok, So my take on EV. If you own a house with a garage you will never visit a charging station unless you are on a trip of 300+ miles. Its like leaving your house with a full tank of gas every time you drive. If you do not own a house then you are at the mercy of where you can charge.
In my current life i drive most of my miles for work at about 15,000 miles a year (i do not commute to a office this is random locations about town for customer visits). I go 300+ miles a day about 6 times a year and 1200 miles 1 to 2 times a year. When I am going cross country (1200 miles for personal use) I rent a car. Renting for long distance travel ends up being less cost than the wear and tear on my own car ( based on general guidance of .55Cents per mile) and If my car breaks down I can swap for another from the rental company and I have road side assistance. I fully expect to have a EV in my future as a daily driver. With the demise of manual transmission cars I enjoy, I will have to enjoy my old manual transmission ICE cars when I am not driving the slog thru big city traffic or the 1-2 miles to the grocery store.

john

This is pretty much my life. Before bedtime, plug in car and cell phone. In the morning, both are ready for a full day. There's another perk too -- much, much less maintenance. No oil changes. Brakes last ages with regen doing most of the work. The only maintenance my (used, 99K miles) Tesla has had in the past 18 months is new tires, new wipers, new cabin air filter.

I have free supercharging and I still very rarely use public chargers. Overnight at home is just too convenient.

More condos & apartments are putting in charging accommodations too. Level 2 charging (AC 240v) is MUCH cheaper than DC fast charging to install and totally adequate in places where people park overnight.

Back on the original topic, I suspect we'll see a 911 with a full EV drivetrain selling alongside the combustion 911 for some years before the latter is phased out.
+Quote Post
Jim C
post Jul 28 2023, 07:52 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 23,294

Cargo ship with over 2,00 cars including 500 EVs loaded at Bremerhaven, Germany is on fire in the North Sea. No news on makes of cars. 1 crewman dead.
+Quote Post
73-914
post Jul 28 2023, 07:54 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,651

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 27 2023, 01:46 PM) *

So Europe is struggling to keep the power grid up and bringing old power plants back on line, all the more reason to go EV.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 28 2023, 08:18 AM
Post #15

En Garde!

QUOTE(Jim C @ Jul 28 2023, 09:52 AM) *

Cargo ship with over 2,00 cars including 500 EVs loaded at Bremerhaven, Germany is on fire in the North Sea. No news on makes of cars. 1 crewman dead.

Earlier this month a car carrier burned in the Port of Newark. No electric cars were on board. 2 died.

Fires on cargo ships are an issue that is older then automobiles by several hundred years. We are constantly working to make our ships and the cargo they carry safer because its good for business and good for society as a whole.

I don't find a fire on a cargo ship to be a valid argument against electric vehicles.

Zach
+Quote Post
Jim C
post Jul 28 2023, 08:42 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 23,294

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 28 2023, 09:18 AM) *

Earlier this month a car carrier burned in the Port of Newark. No electric cars were on board. 2 died.

Fires on cargo ships are an issue that is older then automobiles by several hundred years. We are constantly working to make our ships and the cargo they carry safer because its good for business and good for society as a whole.

I don't find a fire on a cargo ship to be a valid argument against electric vehicles.

Zach

I wasn't making an argument against electric vehicles; I was reporting on a fire on a car carrier loaded probably with German cars. Porsches? A crewman reported the fire started in an EV and it isn't yet under control. Just the facts as reported, no conclusions.
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Jul 28 2023, 09:56 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 27,135

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 28 2023, 09:18 AM) *

Zach

The word "SHIT" came from cargo ships blowing up and burning from the storage of dried cow dung (as fertilizer) in the holds of 17th century cargo ships.

The dung would get wet and release methane in the hold and when a crew member would go into said hold with a fire powered lantern the BOOM came out.

"Stow High In Transport" was printed on the sacks of dung and quickly became simplely "SHIT".
+Quote Post
Txbentleyboy
post Jul 28 2023, 10:08 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 20,498

QUOTE(dirk2056 @ Jul 27 2023, 12:52 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) Good luck with the EV world stopped at a Buc-ee's The other day I was pump # 264 and every pump was being used. I figure it takes 10 to 15 min to fill a standard car or truck. No way in hell is there or ever going to be 264 charging stations in one location. I'm not sure what future technology is available EV look to be a long shot.

Buc-ee's would love to have you shopping an extra 15-30 minutes.

Remember, always follow the money!
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jul 28 2023, 10:21 AM
Post #19

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The word "SHIT" came from cargo ships blowing up and burning from the storage of dried cow dung (as fertilizer) in the holds of 17th century cargo ships.

The dung would get wet and release methane in the hold and when a crew member would go into said hold with a fire powered lantern the BOOM came out.

"Stow High In Transport" was printed on the sacks of dung and quickly became simplely "SHIT".

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) That has to make the list for post of the year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap23.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jul 28 2023, 10:32 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 28 2023, 10:21 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) That has to make the list for post of the year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap23.gif)

It's full of stow high in transport.

BTW: what does this have to do with cargo ships and fires?

Great information though
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:51 PM