Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Side shift coupler bushing
second wind
post Aug 7 2023, 05:27 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,543
Region Association: Southern California

Very interesting post....we all want "Toyota" shifting if I may speak for the masses. I put in new delrin bushings all over the place and have the old "Bronze" one down on the shift rod by the tranny. I wish I could make this particular bushing just a hair tighter tolerance. Anyway I won the PMB firewall bushing somewhere along the line and have yet to install it.....can anyone please comment on how to install this part and the benefit of doing so? Thank you very much!
gg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
second wind
post Aug 7 2023, 05:32 PM
Post #22

QUOTE(second wind @ Aug 7 2023, 04:27 PM) *

Very interesting post....we all want "Toyota" shifting if I may speak for the masses. I put in new delrin bushings all over the place and have the old "Bronze" one down on the shift rod by the tranny. I wish I could make this particular bushing just a hair tighter tolerance. Anyway I won the PMB firewall bushing somewhere along the line and have yet to install it.....can anyone please comment on how to install this part and the benefit of doing so? Thank you very much!
gg

I thought PMB made the firewall bushing.....I do no know what Rix914parts is off the top of my head but since I have one and if it will help the car then I want to install it. I appreciate any and all comments.......thank you!
gg
+Quote Post
second wind
post Aug 7 2023, 06:47 PM
Post #23

OK....it is a Tangerine Racing part....sorry about that...no offense intended....someone please tell me about this part? Thank you very much!
gg
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 8 2023, 04:06 AM
Post #24

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 8 2023, 05:22 AM
Post #25

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(second wind @ Aug 7 2023, 08:47 PM) *

OK....it is a Tangerine Racing part....sorry about that...no offense intended....someone please tell me about this part? Thank you very much!
gg
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Aug 8 2023, 06:06 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
my next shifter upgrade will be Chris's aka @ChrisFoley aka Tangerine Racing's shift console conversion ,
someone here that has done this can comment, i've seen posts commenting that it was a big improvement on tightening up the shift linkage at that location.

Hey Chris (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 8 2023, 05:36 AM
Post #26

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Yes, it’s Chris’ creation. Very easy to install because it’s designed so well, no mods necessary. You’ll need to separate the shift bar (might as well remove it and clean things up, or if you’re changing a bushing at the shifter console)

Place it in it’s location, mark out the three holes, drill the firewall and rivet in place.

Been running one for years, flawlessly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
R Dub
post Aug 11 2023, 07:34 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 21,387

Ok folks, kinda stuck. The brass bushings came in. Honestly things were going way too smooth. I got the shifter linkage out no problem, the pin pressed out with easy in the vise, got the old bushing out and new brass bushings in quickly and smooth, even greased then up to make sure no binding. Now the coupler is MUCH stiffer on the shifter linkage but thought that's just how it's supposed to be with new bushings. Got the shifter linkage back in the car, hooked up in the back at the transmission but tht issue is I can't for the life of me get the shifter linkage to slide back onto the shifter.

So what have I done wrong? Are there any tricks? Do I have the wrong bushings? Any help is appreciated!!!
+Quote Post
rfinegan
post Aug 12 2023, 07:20 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 15,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

JWest makes urethane coupler bushing for about 15 bucks. They make GREAT SUTFF TOO
+Quote Post
R Dub
post Aug 12 2023, 11:52 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 21,387

Ok just got it figured out. Had the wife sit in the car and hold the shifter forward and just wiggled the linkage and it went on. Test drove it and it's all working again. Able to grab all gears. Now jus to get that pesky boot back on ....
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 03:52 PM