Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need a pep talk/help: can't eliminate exhaust leak after 5 attempts
DC_neun_vierzehn
post Aug 16 2023, 09:10 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,893
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks everyone.

The careful/light filing of the pipe ends and inside of the dog ears just about did the trick. I still detect an ever so slight air leak on one of the 4 HE pipes at the heads (zero leaks at the muffler).

I will try to get it perfect this weekend and may try the Permatex 81878 copper gasket maker on the copper rings (and/or annealing which I haven't tried yet).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eric_Ciampa
post Aug 16 2023, 09:48 PM
Post #22

CHAMP914

Member No.: 511
Region Association: Northern California

I just wrapped up installation of headers. Same advice as others although I didn’t come close to the 23 Ft Lbs that was suggested. I only needed 14. I already had to deal with a stripped head bolt. Make sure surfaces are clean at the head. I annealed mine but a few good runs do the same thing. I needed to run and re-tighten a few times. So I would follow the advice and run it a few times and re-torquing each time.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 24 2023, 04:09 PM
Post #23

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Before you torque the nuts at the heads, use a flashlight and make sure the exhaust pipes are centered on the copper gaskets. You probably can’t get all four to be perfectly centered, but make sure a pipe isn’t off the copper.
+Quote Post
nathanxnathan
post Aug 24 2023, 05:20 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 21,899
Region Association: Southern California

I have always quenched the gaskets in water after heating them red hot. It doesn't make a difference with copper if you quench them or let them cool slow as far as softness, but it takes off the oxides.

Another point is to match the amount of material you file off the face/top of the flange, taking the same amount off the top of the ears. It's possible to bottom out the ears before you get a seal at the face.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 04:16 AM