Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CHT seems high - oil normal?
emerygt350
post Aug 28 2023, 05:53 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

I have the non-bluetooth 123dizzy. It is set to the advance setting and the right distributor for a 73 2.0. I think the curve is published online. Sorry I can't be more help there. I think the vacuum advance is 10degrees or so at 11 - 14inhg.

I believe the timing was at 27 or 28 on my old setup, so a couple more puts me at 30ish. Again, can't be more helpful at the moment because I put a new fan on and my marks are... Hard to find...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Aug 28 2023, 06:11 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Let me give some temperatures.
Drove 100 miles yesterday after I got the engine back in. Through the hills and valleys of the finger lakes in upstate New York.

Cruising at 60 I was at 350-360.
Climbing it would rapidly rise to 380 and all the way to 400 on not even terrible slopes. Keeping it in 4th would keep me at 385 or below but I was babying it. On my old setup that wouldn't have even happened at 70 on the interstate climbing a hill.

In town it was running 320 to 340 at 30. It would also heat up really fast. I am talking about cold to 250 degrees in three blocks. That would take 15 minutes of driving before.

Added the advance and it went to 280 cruising around town (in stock condition that would have been 265 no advance). Top temps 320, mostly around 308 driving it 'spiritedly' like I normally do. Calm driving brought it down to high 290s quickly. This is also on a fully warmed up engine after some hill driving.

Hill driving (600 feet in 1 mile) resulted in 375-380 but not rocketing towards 400.

The big test will be hitting the interstate tomorrow.

These are also brand new rings, valves, cylinders, pistons, etc so the fact I am breaking it in probably also affects things.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Aug 28 2023, 06:12 PM
Post #63

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 28 2023, 04:53 PM) *

I have the non-bluetooth 123dizzy. It is set to the advance setting and the right distributor for a 73 2.0. I think the curve is published online. Sorry I can't be more help there. I think the vacuum advance is 10degrees or so at 11 - 14inhg.

I believe the timing was at 27 or 28 on my old setup, so a couple more puts me at 30ish. Again, can't be more helpful at the moment because I put a new fan on and my marks are... Hard to find...

Funny...in another thread you stated you had the Bluetooth version and not the switched version.

There is a video on the 123 website on how to set both the centrifugal curve and the MAP curve (Manifold Absolute Pressure) on the Bluetooth version. Read it last night since I was not aware one was available for D-jet.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Aug 28 2023, 06:17 PM
Post #64

Advanced Member

QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 28 2023, 06:12 PM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 28 2023, 04:53 PM) *

Funny...in another thread you stated you had the Bluetooth version and not the switched version.

There is a video on the 123 website on how to set both the centrifugal curve and the MAP curve (Manifold Absolute Pressure) on the Bluetooth version. Read it last night since I was not aware one was available for D-jet.

No, I said 123 offered Bluetooth for the 2.0 about 2 years ago. I got a discount buying up old stock... or at least I tell myself that.

+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Aug 28 2023, 06:45 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 21,628

This is really interesting - I appreciate the continued data and input. I'm away from the 914 for a few weeks again but i'll be monitoring this - and ordering a 123 - probably bluetooth version because it's only money.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Aug 28 2023, 07:14 PM
Post #66

Advanced Member

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Aug 28 2023, 06:45 PM) *

This is really interesting - I appreciate the continued data and input. I'm away from the 914 for a few weeks again but i'll be monitoring this - and ordering a 123 - probably bluetooth version because it's only money.

Bluetooth is the way to go. You will not regret the 123. Best thing you can do for an old engine with points and weights. I have never ever regretted it.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 29 2023, 06:25 AM
Post #67

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 28 2023, 08:11 PM) *

Let me give some temperatures.
Drove 100 miles yesterday after I got the engine back in. Through the hills and valleys of the finger lakes in upstate New York.

Cruising at 60 I was at 350-360.
Climbing it would rapidly rise to 380 and all the way to 400 on not even terrible slopes. Keeping it in 4th would keep me at 385 or below but I was babying it. On my old setup that wouldn't have even happened at 70 on the interstate climbing a hill.

In town it was running 320 to 340 at 30. It would also heat up really fast. I am talking about cold to 250 degrees in three blocks. That would take 15 minutes of driving before.

Added the advance and it went to 280 cruising around town (in stock condition that would have been 265 no advance). Top temps 320, mostly around 308 driving it 'spiritedly' like I normally do. Calm driving brought it down to high 290s quickly. This is also on a fully warmed up engine after some hill driving.

Hill driving (600 feet in 1 mile) resulted in 375-380 but not rocketing towards 400.

The big test will be hitting the interstate tomorrow.

These are also brand new rings, valves, cylinders, pistons, etc so the fact I am breaking it in probably also affects things.

Thanks for the information Emery

So just to be clear, you bumped up the timing to 30° advance from 27-28 and saw those increases in head temps, yes? I’ll have to check the profile, I may be at 30° also. Appreciate the help, I’ll take head temp reduction any day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I’d also think your temps will drop some after break in and oil change. Are you planning on using 10w40? Did you replace the engine tin seals?

Some lovely driving up there, pretty country. Not so much here on this overpopulated sand bar... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

And yes, I don’t think anyone has regretted getting a 123. Fits the old “Buy once, cry once” adage. Eliminated so many issues for me, and adds a security aspect by being able to kill the ignition with the app. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Aug 29 2023, 10:08 AM
Post #68

Advanced Member

The temps dropped after I put the vacuum advance back on. I am not entirely certain the added mechanical advance did much for temps.

I just took it on the interstate and it was 5% hotter than before the upgrades were installed. Before at 70 the hottest it would get climbing the hills into town was 380ish. I was hitting 400 this morning. Cruising at 70 in the flats used to be 360ish, now it's 380ish. At one point I hit 415 pushing it.

In town it's down at 308 or so. Up to 320 when pushing it.

It's about a 5% increase in displacement and nearly a full point of increased compression, so I might just be stuck with it....

Edit:So... Had many issues with this temperature thing, here is a thread that clears them up... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=367004
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 29 2023, 11:24 AM
Post #69

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 29 2023, 12:08 PM) *

The temps dropped after I put the vacuum advance back on. I am not entirely certain the added mechanical advance did much for temps.

I just took it on the interstate and it was 5% hotter than before the upgrades were installed. Before at 70 the hottest it would get climbing the hills into town was 380ish. I was hitting 400 this morning. Cruising at 70 in the flats used to be 360ish, now it's 380ish. At one point I hit 415 pushing it.

In town it's down at 308 or so. Up to 320 when pushing it.

It's about a 5% increase in displacement and nearly a full point of increased compression, so I might just be stuck with it....

Ok, thanks. Had to go look to see if there was a vac attached, there is. It’s got 9:1 compression, which no doubt adds to my temps some, especially at sea level.
Haven’t checked the advance curve yet.

I know my engine tin seal isn’t 100%, I hope to pull the engine in late fall to get rid of the oil leaks, and replace the seal. Hope on that, too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I try my darndest to keep the head temp under 390°, which is usually going up a hill in 5th on a warm day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Aug 29 2023, 11:58 AM
Post #70

Advanced Member

I am super happy that mine hasn't leaked at all, 175 miles now. My tin is all good and I don't have any missing seals. Sad thing is it has been pretty cool the past few days since the engine went back in. 70 or so.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Aug 29 2023, 12:13 PM
Post #71

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Aug 28 2023, 05:45 PM) *

Please know that if you buy the Bluetooth version...there are two "curves". The centrifugal curve which is emulated by the electronic dizzy and then a "MAP" curve or profile which is based on vacuum and hence the port on the side of the dizzy. You should address both when and if you decide to get that version of the 123.

Like Brant stated before...and has been my experience....not conjecture.. that most MPS in stock config run lean on part load so make sure the engine is checked with an AFM before you set the MAP curve. Outlined in the installation video on the 123 website there are stock curves based on Ve and engine design available. Because your's has been opened it has possibly been adjusted already but check.

Like Jake Raby used to post all the time: "Give the engine what it needs" I'll add to that...don't give your engine what somebody else's engine needs.

Good Luck
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 01:00 PM