Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welding Question, Welding
willieg
post Aug 26 2023, 08:30 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,389
Region Association: Northern California

A welder, working on an exterior staircase, told me code required gas shielded flux core for commercial metal stairways. This is on the West Coast. Also I agree with @mb911 comments on duty cycle. 20% duty cycle at 100 Amps means 2 minutes of welding in a 10 minute period. Most people aren’t going to be welding for that long a time in a 10 minute period.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Aug 26 2023, 09:42 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(willieg @ Aug 26 2023, 06:30 AM) *

A welder, working on an exterior staircase, told me code required gas shielded flux core for commercial metal stairways. This is on the West Coast. Also I agree with @mb911 comments on duty cycle. 20% duty cycle at 100 Amps means 2 minutes of welding in a 10 minute period. Most people aren’t going to be welding for that long a time in a 10 minute period.

Sorry that is incorrect information

State codes are different state by state but that said gas shield is never considered acceptable out doors for anything structural. Keep this is mind 90% of welders out there have no training in electrodes and proper usage. They only use what is in the WPS (welding procedure speciation). My point is don’t trust hearsay only real documents.

Your anology of duty cycle is not correct at least how I am reading it.

Duty cycle is a measurement of time(10minutes to be exact) if you have 100 amp machine and you run it at 100 amps with a 20% duty cycle you will get 2 minutes of run time. If you have 60% duty cycle then 6 minutes. If you are running 80 amps then the duty cycle will not be met so you are fine.

Sorry but I have to be out on the rest of the conversation it gives me high blood pressure as there are so many experts out there when it comes to welding it’s creates so much misinformation.

Peace out everyone
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Aug 26 2023, 09:57 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 18,984
Region Association: None

Hard to beat an old school stick welder for tube and angle welding.
+Quote Post
targa72e
post Aug 26 2023, 10:43 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 20,392
Region Association: None

I think this topic diverged a lot. There is a ton of difference in being a professional and welding something structural and welding a cart to push you 914 around on. In the ideal world you would have perfect welds for you cart. In the real word many have made their cart out of screwed together wood.
Your equipment while not perfect is probably more than able to weld a cart that will support you 914 chassis.
More important questions probably, is it appropriate for welding 914 sheet metal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

john
+Quote Post
MikeK
post Aug 27 2023, 08:24 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 27,418
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(targa72e @ Aug 26 2023, 10:43 PM) *

I think this topic diverged a lot. There is a ton of difference in being a professional and welding something structural and welding a cart to push you 914 around on. In the ideal world you would have perfect welds for you cart. In the real word many have made their cart out of screwed together wood.
Your equipment while not perfect is probably more than able to weld a cart that will support you 914 chassis.
More important questions probably, is it appropriate for welding 914 sheet metal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

john

That machine will do what he needs to do from rack to chassis. Perfect for welding complete panels in at the flanges (if you don't own a spot welder). Less than ideal if used out in the middle of a panel and it's intended to be metal finished.

The cart is the perfect place to practice those perfect welds. Absolutely, positively get a bottle of argon-mix. You don't want to be messing around with acid flux in your welds. It's a Porsche, not a bridge.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the project turns out.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Aug 27 2023, 09:17 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

https://www.nexair.com/learning-center/you-...of%20conditions.

If you can afford to buy gas then by all means use it. No doubt for work indoors or a place outdoors protected from the wind it is the bees knees. If you work outside there is wire for that too. I use a borrowed welder with no gas and get a lot of work done in the season. Too hot now.

+Quote Post
Bigdamdork
post Aug 30 2023, 03:33 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 27,476
Region Association: Central California

Just wanted to say "THANK YOU" for the information, this is all very good. I love hearing from experts. Appreciate it very much.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 30 2023, 04:08 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Speaking only for myself - I’m no expert. I get by.

Heed mb911’s advice on amperage vs thickness. Ben IS the true expert on welding.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 09:40 AM