Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sportomatic transmission, Has anyone seen one?
Gustl
post Aug 25 2023, 03:10 PM
Post #21

914 enthusiast & historian

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 25 2023, 04:17 PM) *

@gustl
Do you still have yours?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

No, I sold it in 2009 ... it was a pleasure to drive in the lowlands, but as you might know I live in the mountains, where it turned out that the Sporto isn't my 1st choice

Here's one nice shot in the alps, still with the german licence plate (just before I registered it in Austria):

Attached Image

The current owner in Slovenia completely restored it to its factory specification:

Attached Image

little additional info about the amount of produced cars:
The Porsche factory itself stated, that they built 16 units of the 914-6 Sportomatic. Some other sources report 21 or even 25 units. The difference might be the result of counting prototypes or not, but that's just my guess.
Back in the days when I owned my Sporto (by the way, the very last factory built 914-6 Sporto) I did some intense research together with some other 914 guys and we found 12 or 13 factory original 914-6 Sportos in existence - and some later Sporto conversions.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif) Gustl
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 25 2023, 03:42 PM
Post #22

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

This thread has some more info:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=256406

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Aug 25 2023, 08:10 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

have not driven an early 911 sporto.
not that many were ordered by australian buyers.
def a USA market thing in the main.

but have driven this. NSU RO80.
very first rotary engined cars. original wankel engines.
all were fitted with 3 speed semi auto gearboxes with the fichtel and sachs electronic clutch then mated to what is effectively a manual trans. same thing was done for the 911 sporto using the porsche box and transaxle.

power about the same as a 911T engine. approx 110 hp.
except very weak torque and engines had problems with snatching and jerking when mated to a standard manual gearbox. so all RO80s got the sporto box.

fun to drive. took a little bit to get used to. usual habit that everyone says which is you rest your hand on the gearlever habitually (just about everyone does that in city driving with a manual. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). so you have to really make yourself keep both hands on steering wheel. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) good for the discipline i guess.

i can't imagine a 911T with one of these boxes. leisurely driving? or at least straight line acceleration.

the RO80 was not what you would call quick off the line.
but boy was it smooth. the closest thing to an electric car in 1968.
no engine vibration.
once you get them up and rolling they keep their pace up too.
a bit like a 914. no need to slow down in corners.
pretty shocking for a 1968 car.

Attached Image

i guess the sporto 914/6 is these days a rare creature and has rarity value as an artefact. but i can see why they would not have shifted many of these units.
you just would not have wanted one unless it had the grunt in the engine to make up for it.

i have also had a very close look at a citroen GS birotor that was in the shop right through the lockdowns in 2020. same deal as the NSU. that had a NSU-Citroen Co-motor wankel in it. basically same engine as the NSU. mated up to a citroen version of the same sportmatic gearbox. the F+S electronic clutch combined with a citreon 3 speed gearbox. very advanced car for its time. suffered the same fate as the NSU.
the one in the shop is the only one in north antarctica. so it was a real rare treat to get a good look at one. also got a few rides as the passenger with the mechanic - as lookout for him. the birotor is LHD which was fun in the city traffic!

the best 914 with the best shift pattern was one of the 914/6s that came here originally.
it had a 4 speed box. with short ratios. special order from the factory for the distributor. i drove that a couple of times when it belonged to a mate of mine.
that car was a dream to shift. of course it lacked the top end for high speed autobahn cruising but i don't think that was what the aus distributor had in mind as a use for it.
very fast off the line in city traffic with the first to second shift. in many ways this would have been a good option to tick on the box for a 914 in the early days of the car but the factory did not think so obviously. but then again like the sporto maybe not many buyers would have opted for it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Aug 25 2023, 08:38 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jagalyn @ Aug 24 2023, 07:32 PM) *

I used to own the 1971 914/6 sportomatic that George Hussey owns. I sold it to him in 1998 for $25,000. There were 4 of them made. One is in Sweden, 2 in the USA and the other one is unaccounted for.

WOW!!!
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Aug 26 2023, 03:42 AM
Post #25

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

@SirAndy - thank's for digging out the old threads (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
re-reading all this old stuff was interesting and funny together - and brought up some cool memories (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Aug 26 2023, 06:32 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 25 2023, 10:10 PM) *

the best 914 with the best shift pattern was one of the 914/6s that came here originally.
it had a 4 speed box. with short ratios. special order from the factory for the distributor. i drove that a couple of times when it belonged to a mate of mine.
that car was a dream to shift. of course it lacked the top end for high speed autobahn cruising but i don't think that was what the aus distributor had in mind as a use for it.
very fast off the line in city traffic with the first to second shift. in many ways this would have been a good option to tick on the box for a 914 in the early days of the car but the factory did not think so obviously. but then again like the sporto maybe not many buyers would have opted for it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

A four speed 914 6 ?... that is even more unusual than a Sporto !
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Aug 26 2023, 09:09 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 26 2023, 06:32 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 25 2023, 10:10 PM) *

A four speed 914 6 ?... that is even more unusual than a Sporto !

might be the one and only.
i gave davep the chassis number.
there might be an interesting story to it.
its still here.
the present owner runs the 356 register.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Aug 26 2023, 12:44 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

I drove the vw version around town for a few hours. 1st to 4th and step on the brake. Rinse and repeat. It worked but it was all the work with none of the fun.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 12:47 PM