Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alfa Calipers
PatMc
post Sep 30 2023, 07:43 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,669
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mate914 @ Sep 30 2023, 07:37 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 30 2023, 08:19 PM) *

Good update on rear calipers.
I found these among my random collection but have no idea what they are from.
Could be VW, Audi, 356, 911 or ?
They're ATEs with 38mm pistons and are suitable for vented rotors. The spacers in
them are as manufactured. These are a good match for alloy S fronts.
They mount on our trailing arms and with a fat washer are near perfectly centered.
They are left and right with the bleeder at the top and the hard plumbing to the
bottom. The take 60mm pads, same as 914 6 rears.
I guess no alloy rears for me.
Anyone know what they are ?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Standard 911 rears from 69-83. The early ones had a machined spacer, later went a cast spacer.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 1 2023, 06:20 AM
Post #42

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 30 2023, 04:59 PM) *

Next mystery.
I've had these 911(what year ?) 944 (?) ebrake parts for years thinking they might come in handy.
Thing is, they seem different from any others that I've seen used in a 914 conversion.
The shoes are wider and the retainers are flat spring steel. See photos.
The shoes are wider than the contact area of my 911 vented rotors so
~1/8" of the shoe hangs outside the drum, so not compatible. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
The intesting part of these is the stop for the bottom of the shoes is incorporated
in the backing plate. Maybe this feature can be added to the more compatible
911 ebrake parts.
What years of 911 parts are best for this conversion ?

Well mine was a clusterF$&@. I would not suggest to anyone. It works fine but what a PIA. You need 69-73 parts and the best part is you get to modify the bracket out of them. Had to have a machinest machine down the brake shoes. In the end I was super irritated with the process. Parts are very hard to find
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 1 2023, 07:00 AM
Post #43

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 1 2023, 08:20 AM) *

Next mystery.
I've had these 911(what year ?) 944 (?) ebrake parts for years thinking they might come in handy.
Thing is, they seem different from any others that I've seen used in a 914 conversion.
~1/8" of the shoe hangs outside the drum, so not compatible. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
The intesting part of these is the stop for the bottom of the shoes is incorporated
911 ebrake parts.

Well mine was a clusterF$&@. I would not suggest to anyone. It works fine but what a PIA. You need 69-73 parts and the best part is you get to modify the bracket out of them. Had to have a machinest machine down the brake shoes. In the end I was super irritated with the process. Parts are very hard to find

I gave you the cores. I wonder if they were the wrong year to work with or 944 brakes or something. When Scott did mine on the Suby car, he didn't have the issues. I don't know what year brakes I gave him.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Oct 1 2023, 09:38 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Next mystery.
911 ebrake parts.

I've got the caliper part pf the project covered. Years ago I parted out
an '83 SC. That's where the mystery calipers (and my engine) came from. Early in
this thread Mark Epstein suggested 911 rears might be the ticket and to
ask Eric Shea... Doh !
I think the 911 ebrake parts are difficult to get because breakers want to sell the
trailing arms as a complete assembly.
That's my next challenge.

+Quote Post
mate914
post Oct 1 2023, 12:00 PM
Post #45

Matt

Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

Am I going to have to take my brakes apart and take pictures? I have the Alfa calipers and the early emergency brakes setup with tangerine racing adapter kit.
@rgalla9146

Matt
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Oct 1 2023, 12:21 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(mate914 @ Oct 1 2023, 02:00 PM) *

Am I going to have to take my brakes apart and take pictures? I have the Alfa calipers and the early emergency brakes setup with tangerine racing adapter kit.
@rgalla9146

Matt

Hey Matt
NO,NO,NO ! I'm making good progress and love the process.
Working out issues like this is therapeutic. I like to solve a problem step by step.
Rory
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 1 2023, 06:07 PM
Post #47

914 Guru

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 1 2023, 05:00 AM) *

Next mystery.
911 ebrake parts.

I gave you the cores. I wonder if they were the wrong year to work with or 944 brakes or something. When Scott did mine on the Suby car, he didn't have the issues. I don't know what year brakes I gave him.

Mark Calipers, stubs and hubs were awesome. The rest was a major learning curve with a bunch of trial and fitting then machining, then fitting, then matching. None of that was your fault. The problem is not many of these parts have actual part numbers on them so you going off pictures and descriptions.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 1 2023, 06:13 PM
Post #48

914 Guru

Attached Image

Here is my set up done.
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Oct 2 2023, 07:54 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 3,574

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 1 2023, 08:38 AM) *

Next mystery.
911 ebrake parts.

I've got the caliper part pf the project covered. Years ago I parted out
an '83 SC. That's where the mystery calipers (and my engine) came from. Early in
this thread Mark Epstein suggested 911 rears might be the ticket and to
ask Eric Shea... Doh !
I think the 911 ebrake parts are difficult to get because breakers want to sell the
trailing arms as a complete assembly.
That's my next challenge.

Hi Rory,

So here's the issues that I ran into while doing this mod. You need to make sure you get the correct e-brake shoes for the early (70-73) e-brake backing plates. Yes, there's a few different ones out there. I purchased two new sets and both where wrong. The e-brake shoes are too long so they do not fit under the SC/early 911 vented rotors. I'll have to find the part # which worked and post it here for you. I believe I got the correct set from Stoddard. You can buy just the backing plates used and the new hardware kit from PP or Stoddard. You'll have to grind down the control arm mounting plate bosses a little so the backing plates fits. I also installed a tube through the control arm so I can remove the Boxster caliper pad pin. If you look at Andy's thread he modified the pin to install/remove it. Then you'll need to add a pad plate(it's what I call it) basically a 90 degree angle iron with a hole in the middle of it. It's used to support the e-brake shoes at one end. The Tangerines kit has those pieces included (pic attached of that). Then you'll need to relocate the factory E-brake cable bracket on the control arm. You'll cut it off and move it to a more straight/inline position to attach to the new e-brake setup. I'll post pics/info on here as I find them. You've got my # if you need to give me a call on it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Oct 2 2023, 09:46 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 3,574

Here's the e-brake pad and hardware info. The hardware is sold as a complete set. Take a look at the shoes. Pay real close attention to the angle at the upper end. The new pad will not work and needs to be like the old pad. The new pads are a little large in OD once installed which makes installing the rotor impossible. That was the case at my end. Spoke with a guy at Stoddard and he knew exactly what I was talking about. So this must be an issue with some of the pads being made. This was about 6 months ago so not sure if the issue has been resolved with the manufacturer.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 05:57 PM