Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is this OEM exhaust header?, Exhaust header
bkrantz
post Oct 6 2023, 07:40 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 6 2023, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 6 2023, 01:03 PM) *

theoretically the 75 1.8 suffered no power loss over the 74 1.8 despite the "log" manifold design (for want of a better word) and the toilet S bend trap exhaust design that looks like a 19th century british sanitary engineer cooked it up.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Got to make it to NZ. Almost got there but landed in French Polynesia. I won't repeat the joke about the French flag there.....

Anyway...having had both SSI's and the stock 2.0 exhaust...I found the stock acutally gave ...at least by the "butt" feel...better low end torque. May plan was to exothermically paint them for heat savaging purposes...like they used to do for the Hot Rods to increase the flow characteristics. Maybe a project for later...but I found that the steel stock exhaust was better and that because the SSI's stress relieve at different rates....a property of SSI...had a tendency to crack and were absolutely hell to take off and reinstall if needed because of it.

My "Worldly" thoughts.

NZ is east of us in north antarctica.
its a dangerous place full of active volcanoes.
but you definitely should try and make it there.
i have a lot of kiwi friends - great people.
i haven't been there for 30 years but still remember going there fondly.

Wait, I thought NZ is full of orcs?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Oct 6 2023, 09:22 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 5 2023, 08:21 PM) *

mr. b spot on as usual.

theoretically the 75 1.8 suffered no power loss over the 74 1.8 despite the "log" manifold design (for want of a better word) and the toilet S bend trap exhaust design that looks like a 19th century british sanitary engineer cooked it up.

but the power curve is slightly different 74 to 75 and the 75 has to rev a small amount more (can't remember exactly but it might be just 100 rpm higher to deliver its eye watering tyre shredding 76 hp. dunno about the 2.0L, they definitely did lose hp to the 74s. maybe the exhaust did it because before that the 2.0L had that very good porsche designed muffler that was like a 911 mini me muffler. whereas in 74, the 1.8s basically have a bus/412 standard fare VW muffler which is nothing special anyway despite the good work the lovely heat exchangers might have been doing. its possible the twin mufflers etc in the 75s were actually better than the original big single log mufflers so they made up for the toilet plumbing heat exchangers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

The 2.0s changed the exhaust, distributor, and ECU between 74 and 75. I dont recall all the specifics on the ECU change but the distributor had a slower mechanical advance curve.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 03:36 PM