Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Value of 1.8 engine with exhaust system and full FI system, What's it worth?
r_towle
post Oct 10 2023, 06:54 PM
Post #21

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 10 2023, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 9 2023, 09:36 PM) *

Have you finally put the 930 turbo motor into the 914?

Hopefully the motor will be out of the 930 soon. Just finished installing my lift. Besides stripped #2 plug the motor leaks oil virtually everywhere there's a pipe.

I thought about how the motor would fit in the 914 but not sure where the turbo would be located.

You know you want to.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 11 2023, 05:57 AM
Post #22

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I would not buy the 1.8 unless you needed it to get your car running.

Like others - the 1.8 is the worst of the three engines the 914 came with. Unless you are planning to use it to build a larger, better engine (and you can totally do that and retain most of the l-jet) I would not touch it. Just another engine you would have to store somewhere.

Zach
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Oct 11 2023, 02:11 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 10 2023, 05:47 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Oct 10 2023, 02:34 PM) *

Very nice lift indeed. You can eliminate the overhead garage door opener by going with a rig made by Chamberlain. It mounts on the wall & attaches to the door's torsion bar. It's $500 at Home Depot. CTTOI, does your door have a horizontal torsion bar? I don't see one.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

No just the typical coil springs on each side.

I got that opener from Home Depot. It's by Sommer and is the quietest opener I've ever heard. It is a direct drive opener with a 24V dc motor in the carriage. The control unit is just a ac/dc power supply and ECU. The carriage picks up power from a stationary chain.

That's an interesting design. It's counter intuitive I suppose. Here's a pic of my wall mounted rig. It's super easy to install & nothing drips on the car.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Oct 11 2023, 07:57 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 20,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If you have a nice 1.8 with original injection and can pick up a spare fairly cheap, go for it. I have both a 1.7 with original injection and a 2.0 with the same. Sure, the 2.0 has more HP but in good tune the 1.7 and 1.8 can move these little cars along just fine. My little 70 1.7 is plenty fun to drive. I've raced FV for several years, so the definition of a "momentum car" :-) I'm used to trying to move a low horsepower car along as fast as it will go.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Oct 12 2023, 01:41 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Oct 11 2023, 07:57 PM) *

If you have a nice 1.8 with original injection and can pick up a spare fairly cheap, go for it. I have both a 1.7 with original injection and a 2.0 with the same. Sure, the 2.0 has more HP but in good tune the 1.7 and 1.8 can move these little cars along just fine. My little 70 1.7 is plenty fun to drive. I've raced FV for several years, so the definition of a "momentum car" :-) I'm used to trying to move a low horsepower car along as fast as it will go.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Oct 12 2023, 12:03 PM
Post #26

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Oct 11 2023, 06:57 PM) *

Yes, lucky enough to have one of the cleanest 914's I've seen. Looks like the previous owner kept it in the garage with a cover. Picture is from when I first got it two years ago. It look exactly the same today as then. (One long needed change is in the works with a set of Fuchs about to go on it.) One owner for 44 years with all maintenance records. Not the original paint, but a really high quality paint job that has held up really well over the years. I also like the look of the early 911 mirrors. Having a low horsepower car has not been an issue for me. I just love having a car that makes (almost) everyone smile and is not a major project. Yes, it "speeds up" when you push the accelerator rather than "accelerating" like the 2.0 in my bumblebee does, but so what (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) At least I get to drive it rather than having a debate about which type of jackstand is the best to keep it on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Having another drivetrain and all the components to make sure I have everything I need to keep that part of the car roadworthy seems like a good idea.

The engine and everything that comes with it is priced well (thanks again to everyone who chimed in on value) so I think I will go ahead and commit to the deal. Clearing room in our second garage this week-end.

OK, we can go back to our discussion about garage door openers now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Oct 12 2023, 01:40 PM
Post #27

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Very nice looking 914. Good move with the Fuchs.
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Oct 13 2023, 12:34 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 8,476

"OK, we can go back to our discussion about garage door openers now."

I always wanted to hijack a thread. Finally, at last...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Oct 13 2023, 01:17 PM
Post #29

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

If you plan on building a 2056 with Ljet, then go for it. You still need a 2.0L crank & rods.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 09:10 PM