Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Well, I did a thing, It was a thing I knew better then to do, too. (Thermocouple connecting)
VaccaRabite
post Oct 11 2023, 06:22 AM
Post #1

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Continuing to live my life as an object lesson for others...

I recently had to pull my engine for some repairs. For me, part of pulling the engine includes removing the thermocouple from under the #3 spark plug and fishing it out of the engine tins. This runs to the CHT gauge in the cabin of the car.

And we all know you are not supposed to cut the wire. Everybody knows that.

So I figured I'd cut the wire, add a nice weatherproof automotive plug, and see what happens. All in the name of convenience and curiosity.

I drove 300 miles last weekend. Including going fast up a really long couple of hills (like miles long hills) in 5th gear.
So the results.... At cold start, the gauge reads the same as ambient temps.
Under normal driving, the CHT gauge read slightly cooler then before I added the plug, but within 10 degrees of what I expected.

However, when pushing the car, the error rate grew exponentially. Where I would expect the car to be running 340-350 head temps, the gage only showed about 300. And pushing 90 up hill in 5th for over a mile I would expect the gage to read 360+ the gage only ever got to 325. I did not push past what I know this engine required to get to 375 (which is my back off point).

The result of this experiment is that if I did not know and expect bogus returns on the gage, I could easily roast an engine and start dropping valve seats, while a quality CHT gage was reporting I was WELL under the 400 degree danger zone.

I have another cable I can swap in. Kind of a pain, but not a huge deal. I'll add it o the maintenance schedule.

But, yeah. In this case the group think is accurate. The very slight resistance that the plug will add to the cable will be enough to throw off your CHT monitor.

Do not cut the line between the thermocouple and your CHT gage.

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Oct 11 2023, 07:00 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,763

I'm guessing you didn't have a setup similar to the dakota digital? That thermocoupler has disconnects already built in. With that in mind I'm surprised your setup would be much different. I don't know much about the inner workings of thermo dynamics just that heat is transferred via these two wires to the gauge. I guess if the metals were dissimilar in your connection points that would cause a discrepancy. Good to know though about other types of CHTs.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Oct 11 2023, 07:36 AM
Post #3

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

We just temperature tested a unit we're designing using 7 thermocouples. The logging device we connected to just had terminals with screws to attach the thermocouples. The thermocouples only produce millivolts of voltage.

You should be able to put a connector in series with the thermocouple as long as the connector doesn't add any resistance. It's only the tip of the thermocouple which produces the voltage. If you jiggle (official EE term) the connector while running does the gauge move around?
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 11 2023, 07:50 AM
Post #4

En Garde!

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Oct 11 2023, 09:00 AM) *

I'm guessing you didn't have a setup similar to the dakota digital? That thermocoupler has disconnects already built in. With that in mind I'm surprised your setup would be much different. I don't know much about the inner workings of thermo dynamics just that heat is transferred via these two wires to the gauge. I guess if the metals were dissimilar in your connection points that would cause a discrepancy. Good to know though about other types of CHTs.

It is a Dakota Digital actually. But the screws are under the tins. In the past I've always just fished everything out after pulling the #3 spark plug.

QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 11 2023, 09:00 AM) *

The thermocouples only produce millivolts of voltage.

You should be able to put a connector in series with the thermocouple as long as the connector doesn't add any resistance. It's only the tip of the thermocouple which produces the voltage. If you jiggle (official EE term) the connector while running does the gauge move around?

I'll have to see. Easy enough test to do tonight after work. Driving over bumpy roads though did not seem to have an effect.

Zach
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 11 2023, 08:13 AM
Post #5

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 11 2023, 06:36 AM) *

We just temperature tested a unit we're designing using 7 thermocouples. The logging device we connected to just had terminals with screws to attach the thermocouples. The thermocouples only produce millivolts of voltage.

This was the first thing that crossed my mind. I would think this is what happened. Spoke, please publish your report on the accuracy of those senders. I tested the Dakota vs. the VDO years ago and found the Dakota to be very accurate and the VDO not. I had suspected the VDO gauge but as it turned out the VDO gauge performed well when coupled, no pun intended, to the Dakota sender.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Oct 11 2023, 08:30 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

I have the DD as well, and I swear they had a little note with it about cutting the cable, as in you could but there was something about not increasing the length I think.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Oct 11 2023, 09:22 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Free white paper for the day:

Cylinder head temp gauges are just a thermocouple gauge designed to read a specific type thermocouple. There are many different types of thermocouples available depending on what type of wire is used in its construction and what temperature range is being measured.

Dakota Digital uses K-type based on images of their sender and extension wire that I see online.

In K Type Thermocouple positive leg is composed of 90% nickel, 10%chromium and a negative leg is composed of 95% nickel, 2% aluminum, 2% manganese and 1% silicon. These are the most common general purpose thermocouple with a sensitivity of approx 41µV/°C.
https://tempsens.com/blog/k-type-thermocouple

Each type of thermocouple can be identified by its wire colors.

There are two different types of K-type wire that can be used to route to the gauge.

1) Thermocouple Grade wire -- this can be used to make the sensing end and could be used all the way to the gauge -- but it is more expensive wire so it is rarely used all the way to the gauge.

Thermocouple grade wire has a brown exterior insulation and for K-type the internal wires will be red (actually the negative wire -- UGH!) and a yellow wire (the positive wire)

2) Thermocouple Extension Grade wire -- this cannot be used to make the sensing end of the cable. Extension Grade wire can only be used to extend the sensor to the gauge or data acquisition rig. It's wire is made of material that closely mimics the sensing wire but is not exactly the same. It is however, vastly different than copper wire.

K-type Extension Grade wire will have a yellow exterior insulation. The internal conductors will be red and yellow.

Note: There are exceptions (aren't there always). The thermocouple wire can be obtained as single strands - without an exterior insulation holding both together. And if I recall my old VDO - it had wires that were covered with a braided material and had a non-standard color code. Likewise there are huge color code variations between the US and Europe regarding color coding and identification of wire type. If you look online you can find identification charts that cover all the wire types, as well as the US and International color coding.

Thermocouple extensions can be spliced.

However, they are spliced with a connector that mimics the behavior of the thermocouple sensing end and the extension cable. The connectors are specific to the type of thermocouple wire that is used for the senor / extension cable.

Here is an example of a K-type connector
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2339540.pdf

There are several different styles and sizes of connectors but each has to be matched to the thermocouple wire type.

Moral of the story: If you replace your standard wiring connector (copper / tin terminals) with the proper K-type thermocouple connector, you'll be back to a fully operational system and won't have to rewire the whole thing all the way back into the cabin.
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Oct 11 2023, 11:46 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,985

What type of connector did you use? Since thermocouples/CHT setups are sensitive to small changes in resistance, you might just need to use a high quality connector like a Deutsch that's intended to minimize such issues. One of my cars has an old school EGT which uses thermocouples, and it's set up with Omega connectors that are intended for thermocouples like these.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Oct 11 2023, 01:29 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 24,781

https://www.amazon.com/T-Type-Thermocouple-...66697&psc=1

This type might work. Give a call when you know the specs on the TC you have. They may have just what you need.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Oct 11 2023, 02:51 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Verify you have K-type (red and yellow conductors). If that is indeed what you have, I just went though my stash and I have a K-type connector pair (male and female) I will send for free if you want to repair what you have.

FYI - you can also buy silicone boots that will go over the thermocouple connectors to make them more weatherproof but I don't have any of those.

Deutsch (some styles) connectors can be ordered with special pins to accommodate the special conductors needed for thermocouples. Think $20 per pin. Standard Deutsch automotive connectors are not going to work as they are still copper pins.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 11 2023, 06:28 PM
Post #11

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

Continuing to live my life as an object lesson for others...

We thank you
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Oct 11 2023, 11:00 PM
Post #12

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Question…if the ends of that red/yellow extension wire were flipped, what would that do to the readings?
+Quote Post
ogdougy
post Oct 11 2023, 11:34 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 26,536
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you accidentally flipped the wires of a thermocouple . The readings will just go opposite. When it gets hotter it will read out a colder number, thats all.

The IC for a thermocouple is just an differential op amp (with some other things like cold junction compensation). All it does is take the voltages from the two wires, subtract them, and then amplify a signal to a readable output.

No damage
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 12 2023, 07:41 AM
Post #14

En Garde!

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 11 2023, 04:51 PM) *

Verify you have K-type (red and yellow conductors). If that is indeed what you have, I just went though my stash and I have a K-type connector pair (male and female) I will send for free if you want to repair what you have.

FYI - you can also buy silicone boots that will go over the thermocouple connectors to make them more weatherproof but I don't have any of those.

Deutsch (some styles) connectors can be ordered with special pins to accommodate the special conductors needed for thermocouples. Think $20 per pin. Standard Deutsch automotive connectors are not going to work as they are still copper pins.

Yes, its a K type thermocouple.
and Thank You!
Zach

+Quote Post
barefoot
post Oct 12 2023, 10:08 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

Here's what I used, extension is long enough to route thru center tunnel up to under dash gauge. A very cheap solution.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203517821362
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 12 2023, 01:30 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

Saying of the Day:

"Do or Not Do, There is no try"

---Yoda
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Oct 12 2023, 03:52 PM
Post #17

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179

QUOTE(barefoot @ Oct 12 2023, 12:08 PM) *

Here's what I used, extension is long enough to route thru center tunnel up to under dash gauge. A very cheap solution.

Did this work with a Dakota Digital gauge?
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Oct 12 2023, 10:28 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Oct 12 2023, 05:52 PM) *

I have a similar question ... will the cheap thermocouple work with a VDO CHT gauge.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Oct 12 2023, 10:40 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 24,781

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Oct 12 2023, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(barefoot @ Oct 12 2023, 12:08 PM) *

Went and looked at the ad. It says: Type Ungrounded K Type Thermocouple
So if you look up your gauge it should say what type of TC you need.
I think it will work with the VDO.
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Oct 12 2023, 10:43 PM
Post #20

Well I asked the vendor and got this response:

Yes, the VDO CHT gauge normally use K type thermocouple as input and it is fully compatible with our sender. Please make sure that the yellow wire is connected to the positive and the red wire is connected to the negative. It should work.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 11:56 PM