Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Well, I did a thing, It was a thing I knew better then to do, too. (Thermocouple connecting)
VaccaRabite
post Oct 11 2023, 06:22 AM
Post #1

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Continuing to live my life as an object lesson for others...

I recently had to pull my engine for some repairs. For me, part of pulling the engine includes removing the thermocouple from under the #3 spark plug and fishing it out of the engine tins. This runs to the CHT gauge in the cabin of the car.

And we all know you are not supposed to cut the wire. Everybody knows that.

So I figured I'd cut the wire, add a nice weatherproof automotive plug, and see what happens. All in the name of convenience and curiosity.

I drove 300 miles last weekend. Including going fast up a really long couple of hills (like miles long hills) in 5th gear.
So the results.... At cold start, the gauge reads the same as ambient temps.
Under normal driving, the CHT gauge read slightly cooler then before I added the plug, but within 10 degrees of what I expected.

However, when pushing the car, the error rate grew exponentially. Where I would expect the car to be running 340-350 head temps, the gage only showed about 300. And pushing 90 up hill in 5th for over a mile I would expect the gage to read 360+ the gage only ever got to 325. I did not push past what I know this engine required to get to 375 (which is my back off point).

The result of this experiment is that if I did not know and expect bogus returns on the gage, I could easily roast an engine and start dropping valve seats, while a quality CHT gage was reporting I was WELL under the 400 degree danger zone.

I have another cable I can swap in. Kind of a pain, but not a huge deal. I'll add it o the maintenance schedule.

But, yeah. In this case the group think is accurate. The very slight resistance that the plug will add to the cable will be enough to throw off your CHT monitor.

Do not cut the line between the thermocouple and your CHT gage.

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 40)
barefoot
post Oct 16 2023, 06:27 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Oct 12 2023, 05:52 PM) *

QUOTE(barefoot @ Oct 12 2023, 12:08 PM) *

Here's what I used, extension is long enough to route thru center tunnel up to under dash gauge. A very cheap solution.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203517821362

Did this work with a Dakota Digital gauge?

I used a digital temperature compensated gauge bought off E-Bay. I'd bench measured temperatures of room temp & with spark plug fitting immersed in boiling water , got correct readings.

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 05:35 PM