Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Comments on stolen 914s and GPS devices, Put a GPS in your cars
technicalninja
post Oct 13 2023, 10:47 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

One of my customers had a 2021 Chevy truck stolen and stripped.

He notified the police and On Star 3 minutes after the truck was taken.

GM (On Star) said they could not track the truck...

The truck texted him for the next 6 hours with equipment warnings as it was stripped to nothing.

If the truck can text, why can't it send out GPS info?

Seems fishy to me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

But, from GMs perspective having the truck stripped and totaled is far more likely to end up with an insurance company having to purchase another truck and increasing GMs profit...

On Star is POWERFUL. They can deactivate a running vehicle. They ALWAYS know if you've deployed your airbags and will normally be speaking with you after an accident whether you pay for their monthly service or not. A real human being will ask if you are OK and need an ambulance within 30 seconds of the accident. They will be speaking over the radio and the microphone that picks up your voice is already installed in your vehicle.
This is a BAD ASSED system but yet it cannot stop thieves from stripping your brand new 80K truck even though the truck texts you for hours as it's being torn apart...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
arbitrary
post Oct 14 2023, 01:50 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 25,475
Region Association: None

If they had a GPS jammer running the onstar system would not know where the truck was.
+Quote Post
Pezz
post Oct 15 2023, 07:02 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 23,621
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I did not know there is a "GPS jammer" device. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
No doubt some thieves have these.

My neighbor's son told me about Multipurpose "Bug Detectors" ..like James Bond has. No doubt some thieves have these.
~ Hidden camera detector, Anti spy Detector, RF Detector, GPS Detector, Anti Tracking Strong Magnetic Detector for GPS Tracker, Hidden Camera Finder, Listening Device in office, car, meeting, hotel. ~ All in a hand-held device, even pocket sized.

Reading further about the GPS detector stated (my bold highlight):
"Most GPS trackers will be in long-time standby mode for purpose of power saving, typically when the vehicle is standing still. GPS Trackers will transmit at intervals of 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 60 seconds, in particular when vehicle is moving. So it is insufficient to detect GPS trackers using RF Signal Detection. But most of GPS Tracking devices are magnet mounted to vehicles chassis/trunk/bumper/wheel wells/storage compartments/under seat/engine compartment/under the hood for easy installation and removal. Therefore the Magnetic Field Detection is designed to locate such magnetic GPS tracker.

So to avoid a thief with a bug detector, do not use a magnet mount for the GPS tracker. I don't, by chance.
I've decided to install and wire a tracker into the car permanently in a small waterproof box. No charging the battery and it is hidden well in the engine compartment. Easy project.

Final note is for those like me that store their car(s) in an autohauler trailer. I live in a small remote ranching community where a lot of workers use trailers for tools and horses and vehicles. It is a common heist out here to steal the entire trailer. Most people leave the trailers hooked to their trucks. When we unhook, we always lock the tongue and chain the wheels. Just ideas to consider if you trailer your car.

Cheers~
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mate914
post Oct 15 2023, 07:15 AM
Post #24

Matt

Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Pezz @ Oct 15 2023, 09:02 AM) *

I did not know there is a "GPS jammer" device. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

My neighbor's son told me about Multipurpose "Bug Detectors" ..like James Bond has. No doubt some thieves have these.
~ Hidden camera detector, Anti spy Detector, RF Detector, GPS Detector, Anti Tracking Strong Magnetic Detector for GPS Tracker, Hidden Camera Finder, Listening Device in office, car, meeting, hotel. ~ All in a hand-held device, even pocket sized.

"Most GPS trackers will be in long-time standby mode for purpose of power saving, typically when the vehicle is standing still. GPS Trackers will transmit at intervals of 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 60 seconds, in particular when vehicle is moving. So it is insufficient to detect GPS trackers using RF Signal Detection. But most of GPS Tracking devices are magnet mounted to vehicles chassis/trunk/bumper/wheel wells/storage compartments/under seat/engine compartment/under the hood for easy installation and removal. Therefore the Magnetic Field Detection is designed to locate such magnetic GPS tracker.

So to avoid a thief with a bug detector, do not use a magnet mount for the GPS tracker. I don't, by chance.
I've decided to install and wire a tracker into the car permanently in a small waterproof box. No charging the battery and it is hidden well in the engine compartment. Easy project.

Final note is for those like me that store their car(s) in an autohauler trailer. I live in a small remote ranching community where a lot of workers use trailers for tools and horses and vehicles. It is a common heist out here to steal the entire trailer. Most people leave the trailers hooked to their trucks. When we unhook, we always lock the tongue and chain the wheels. Just ideas to consider if you trailer your car.

Cheers~

All great ideas. I am the old fashion kind of thinking.
Put people in jail or ship them back after a crime. The Police in there areas know who the criminals are.. They have arrested them before, but some how they get back out on the street?
Its so sad we have to find ways to protect what we own in the USA.

Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

+Quote Post
Shivers
post Oct 15 2023, 11:08 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mate914 @ Oct 15 2023, 06:15 AM) *

Cheers~

Put people in jail or ship them back after a crime. The Police in there areas know who the criminals are.. They have arrested them before, but some how they get back out on the street?

One of the oldest stories ever told, Matt. Ugg liked his cave neighbor, Togs Italian marble wheels…The rest is history. Tog did buy a bigger club
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 15 2023, 04:17 PM
Post #26

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Pezz @ Oct 15 2023, 08:02 AM) *

Cheers~

The trailer I have was the second one my father owned. The first one was stolen right out of his driveway. So with the replacement, came a tongue lock, a ball socket lock, a Denver boot, a couple of cable locks to thread through the wheels and shackles, and a big, heavy long cable looped over the axle and hooked around the fence posts.

Yes it makes it hard to move when you want to use it. You have to undo and pack up all the anti-theft stuff. And when you park it, you have to be diligent about putting it back on the trailer. But the trailer is there when needed, not abandoned on the side of the freeway full of old shingles.

And we have the GPS tracker that is on it now too. It doesn't transmit unless it is moving, and it is not magnetically held onto the trailer.

Remember, you can never make your car/trailer un-stealable. What you can do is make it harder to steal than the one down the street. Thieves are lazy and will go for the easiest target to get.

+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Oct 15 2023, 08:10 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

My toolbox is my most valuable procession.

I've always kept it top and bottom bolted together, flat on the floor with NO casters.

Last time I took it across trailer scales it weighed close to 5000 lbs!

This was years ago, and I've packed more in it.

It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to move.

I'm good about keeping it locked up...

Thieves will use a side lift to lift toolboxes into a truck/trailer bed.

They will drive that same truck through your bay doors in reverse at speed and can get most of the toolboxes fairly quickly.

Mine, not so much...

And, if you leave a large vehicle directly behind your bay door you can make the initial ingress far more painful!
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Oct 15 2023, 10:00 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Pezz @ Oct 13 2023, 05:04 AM) *

QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Oct 12 2023, 04:03 PM) *

Why not just use the Apple Tags?

They do not use GPS. AirTags rely on other iPhones to be near the tag to establish a network, providing it is within Bluetooth range of that iPhone. This requires one or more iPhones running the latest software. If the thieves hid your car in an area without cell coverage, the AirTags won't work.

This would be super simple to do, my other thought though is it will probably alert the thief there is an apple air tag nearby and then they will tear apart the car looking for it and get rid of it.
+Quote Post
mate914
post Oct 16 2023, 04:50 AM
Post #29

Matt

Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 15 2023, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(mate914 @ Oct 15 2023, 06:15 AM) *

Cheers~

One of the oldest stories ever told, Matt. Ugg liked his cave neighbor, Togs Italian marble wheels…The rest is history. Tog did buy a bigger club

Old but true. Just like boys are boys and girls are girls.
Tog (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 16 2023, 08:01 AM
Post #30

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

If our prosecutors would start charging criminal thugs with their actual crimes, require appropriate bail, and judges, if convicted, sentenced them accordingly, leave them in prison for the full term of their sentence- regardless. That may reduce crime. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 16 2023, 01:39 PM
Post #31

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Careful... this is wandering VERY close to political territory......

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 07:41 AM