Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Foam vs paper air filters..., Which is the best? Please say why?
Superhawk996
post Nov 1 2023, 07:34 AM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(targa72e @ Nov 1 2023, 12:31 AM) *

I use these with my rain hats on my 911 engines. Round filter that fits great when made into a oval.

john

Have you had them out in a hard rain? Curious how well the rain hats work with paper elements.

Would really rather have paper element for filtration.

My only experience with paper elements on an /4 with Webers and no rain hats didn’t end well. I really like the look of the K&N type setup vs the bulky blob stock air cleaner for the six.

@targa72e
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mskala
post Nov 1 2023, 08:39 AM
Post #22

R

Member No.: 79
Region Association: None

I take responsibility for finding that paper one. The height is about 1/4" more than the
k&n so so may need longer bolts for the covers.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jack Standz
post Nov 1 2023, 09:48 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 23,644

Our '72 originally came with an oil bath air cleaner before the PO carbureted it. I've been gathering all the parts to put FI back on it during its restoration, including an oil bath air cleaner.

Not 100% settled on whether to keep it stock or "upgrade it" to a paper element air cleaner. Leaning towards keeping everything stock. Or at least "stock appearing". For example, the motor went from 1.7 liter to a 1911, but will still look like the 1.7 externally.

+Quote Post
targa72e
post Nov 1 2023, 10:56 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 20,392

[/quote]
Have you had them out in a hard rain? Curious how well the rain hats work with paper elements.

No, but the reason I switched is I did have my previous set up get rained on hard while parked. This was early style 911 system used on Carbs and MFI. With older rubber it did not seal well and the engine was actually hydolocked and the float bowls were filled with water after a thunder storm (this was on the way to RRC 2022). Normally the car is not used if it is going to storm.
Decided I should change filter system and water shields looked less likely to let water into carbs and engine. This filter has a wire mesh support so not too worried about moisture that might get sucked in and get filter wet.

john

+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 2 2023, 03:56 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Nov 1 2023, 07:48 AM) *

Our '72 originally came with an oil bath air cleaner before the PO carbureted it. I've been gathering all the parts to put FI back on it during its restoration, including an oil bath air cleaner.

Not 100% settled on whether to keep it stock or "upgrade it" to a paper element air cleaner. Leaning towards keeping everything stock. Or at least "stock appearing". For example, the motor went from 1.7 liter to a 1911, but will still look like the 1.7 externally.

Bath type filter really well
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 06:05 AM