Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Wiring to Replace or Not, While the engine is out
DennisV
post Dec 3 2023, 09:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,575
Region Association: Northern California

How problematic is the now 50 year old wiring? Some existing threads seem to suggest they're pretty vulnerable, yet I don't see wiring harness included on most "while the engine is out" todo lists.

Are there any that are consistently so troublesome that they should get proactively replaced even if they appear good? On the 914-6 it appears there are two for the engine bay (complete engine and alternator). That's $500 USD right there.

For reference, I'm not attempting a complete restoration. Just trying to get our car safely and reliably back on the road. The engine, transmission, and suspension components are out of the car. I've found a couple previous owner wiring additions, but they have been easy to remove.

My impression has been that if the wiring, insulation and connectors look good they probably are good. It's not like the copper wears out. Perhaps this is naive.

P.S. New plug wires are already obtained. I have no intention of removing the main harness.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 03:23 AM