Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Lilchopshop’s Subaru Conversion Project, Making it up as I go
Lilchopshop
post Dec 3 2023, 08:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,932
Region Association: North East States

Hi All,
My name is Aaron. I've been lurking on this site for years, learning from all of you who are kind enough to share your projects and the challenges that go along with them. In an attempt to keep me motivated on my project and as a way to create a place for me to ask questions as they come up (which they will, frequently), I decided it was time to start a proper build thread. I’m not a novice when it comes to tools, fabricating and most things automotive, but I’ve never attempted an engine swap before, and most things electrical tend to stress me out. That being said, I love a good challenge and I’m not afraid to fail.

I purchased this car in February of 2020, just before Covid lockdown. I got off to a pretty good start repairing the rust and trying to make a solid chassis for what I thought was going to be a stock-ish restoration (some of that work documented here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ty+jack+points). Then, after watching all the great engine-swap builds on this site, I changed my mind. I knew I wanted more horsepower, but I couldn’t justify the cost of an air-cooled Porsche 6-cyl and I didn’t want to lose the trunk to a big V8. For a while, I was considering keeping the original engine from the car and using a tunable fuel injection package, but for the total cost, the bang for the buck just didn’t seem there. So, I settled on the Suby engine. After some research and some purchasing mistakes, I ended up buying a 2002 legacy outback donor vehicle with an EG25 engine. I harvested the engine, the ECU and whatever else seemed valuable. After selling off the old Porsche engine, transmission, all of the FI components and the saleable parts from the donor Subaru, I probably ended up in the black, financially.

Since buying the car in 2020, I’ve gotten pulled away by many other, more important projects, so I’ve only been able to do little stints of work on the car. I’m optimistic this time, that I will be able to finally dedicate some quality time this winter and hopefully make some real headway. I haven’t been great at documenting the little things I’ve done on the car in the last 2 years, so I’ll start this thread off with some of the things I did actually get pictures of and a summary of where I’m at now.

The day we met: Attached Image
The first attempt at a Suby Engine (EJ22): Attached Image
The second attempt (complete donor vehicle):Attached Image
My crazy, home-built cable shift linkage:Attached Image
My home-built engine cradle: Attached Image
Shifter from a boxter (slightly modified): Attached Image
Some suspension ear reinforcement: Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Lilchopshop   Lilchopshop’s Subaru Conversion Project   Dec 3 2023, 08:15 PM
Cairo94507   Great; we all love build threads with lots of phot...   Dec 4 2023, 10:28 AM
gereed75   Nice work so far. That shift linkage looks really ...   Dec 4 2023, 10:47 AM
76-914   Looks great. Will you be able to drop straight dow...   Dec 4 2023, 03:39 PM
Lilchopshop   Looks great. Will you be able to drop straight do...   Dec 4 2023, 04:32 PM
76-914   Nice looking fab work you have there. Weld the bun...   Dec 4 2023, 06:56 PM
tygaboy   Do these Subaru engines not benefit from the ol...   Dec 4 2023, 07:03 PM
Lilchopshop   @76-914 , thanks for the O2 sensor placement advic...   Dec 4 2023, 07:50 PM
technicalninja   Tygaboy is right! Every cylinder has an ...   Dec 4 2023, 09:07 PM
Lilchopshop   Tygaboy is right! Every cylinder has an ...   Dec 5 2023, 07:48 AM
76-914   You could put 3 into 1 and it will still outperfor...   Dec 5 2023, 08:49 AM
76-914   You could put 3 into 1 and it will still outperfor...   Dec 5 2023, 08:50 AM
technicalninja   6 cylinder or less should be run through a single ...   Dec 5 2023, 10:44 AM
Lilchopshop   As I contemplate design changes to my exhaust, I d...   Dec 6 2023, 07:48 PM
Lilchopshop   I’ve had more distractions lately than I expecte...   Jan 27 2024, 11:22 AM
Lilchopshop   Couple more pics of the complete exhaust system. ...   Jan 27 2024, 11:27 AM
Lilchopshop   After finishing the exhaust, I felt like I needed ...   Jan 27 2024, 11:39 AM
76-914   Your fabrication work kooks good. Exhaust routing ...   Jan 27 2024, 12:15 PM
East coaster   Looks good! I just wrapped up my Suby exhaust ...   Jan 27 2024, 05:32 PM
Maltese Falcon   Buddy of mine in New Mexico is building "Phys...   Jan 27 2024, 06:33 PM
Lilchopshop   It’s been a while since my last post, but I’ve...   Mar 9 2024, 07:54 AM
76-914   It's good that you're back on it. Should b...   Mar 9 2024, 08:08 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:04 AM