Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fred's Backyard LE Restoration
Arkady
post Dec 13 2023, 11:38 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,545
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Dec 13 2023, 02:32 PM) *

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Dec 13 2023, 01:12 PM) *

LOL! Very impressive. Yeah, I refuse to teach my son how to drive a stick just for that reason. I want my 914 to STAY in the garage when I'm not there. I'll teach him later when he can my better decisions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) My daughter is only 15 but has an eye for the details.

I'm an even bigger believer in teaching my children clutch/shifting.

None of their friends have that ability early on.

Found the trick to EASY instruction is a smooth-running Z car on a hill.
At the moment they can "hold" the car, on the hill, with the clutch alone you are DONE!

Zs also are one of EASIEST cars to change a clutch on as well so if they smoke it, it's not a big thing.

My first car was a 1969 Z-28. They all had Muncie M22 4-speed transmissions. After looking for several months for one of these cars, I found one in the Pittsburgh Press want-ads about an hour away from my parent's house. After taking a friend to look it over, (he had one), I bought it for $2000. That was a lot of money in 1972, especially when I only made $1.65/hour.

I had to return the next day with the money and was driven there by my Mom in the family 1967 Olds Cutlass. After a stop at a nearby notary, I then had to drive it home. The problem was that I hadn't learned how to drive an actual standard transmission vehicle and had to figure it out pretty fast.

In preparation for when I would eventually find one of these cars, I would sit with two pillows to simulate the gas and clutch pedals and a 12 inch ruler to be the shifter. I hoped that if I could somehow commit the proper sequential motions to muscle memory, it would be good enough, (yeah, I know... I just turned 18 and wasn't very bright!).

Anyways, after it was transferred into my Mom's name, (in Pennsylvania then, one couldn't own a car until age 21), I jumped in, started it up with Mom right behind and promptly put it in reverse and almost backed into her. Getting it finally into first gear, and stalling it a couple times, I started driving it back home. By the time I pulled up to the house, I could drive it (kinda).

I still can visualize approaching the house where my Dad was cutting grass. He heard the car, looked in my direction and just shook his head. When I parked it, he came over and said, "Standard transmission and no power steering... You'll have it a month."

I still have it.

I think in today's world, it's a good idea to know how to drive a car with a clutch, but don't do it the way I did!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Dec 14 2023, 12:30 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have Datsun Z cars...
Not Chevrolet Z cars...

One of the coolest stories I've read yet on this forum.

Sounds like you have a real DZ302 Z28!!!

And you bought it way back when!!!

My Zs have finally gotten valuable but NOTHING like a real Z/28.

A Datsun Z is user friendly for both clutch training and replacement.

A real Z/28 not so much...

My dad didn't keep two of his early cars. A real "Sebring Special" 57 fueli 4 speed Corvette and after the Vette a 59 convertible D Porsche...

I salute your Z/28 and your 52 year care of the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Has it been restored or is it a survivor?

Edit: I too, sort of have a Z/28...
I have a 31K 2002 SS Camaro slick top 6MT, special ordered that way.
It was a friend's car until it took a Dodge truck in the left rear quarter at 55+
It's a totaled complete car and is an "organ doner" for me.
I was going to use the drive train in a 98 BMW M3.
It started life as a Z/28 before SLP turned it into a SS.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Arkady
post Dec 14 2023, 09:19 AM
Post #23

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Dec 14 2023, 01:30 AM) *

I have Datsun Z cars...
Not Chevrolet Z cars...

One of the coolest stories I've read yet on this forum.

Sounds like you have a real DZ302 Z28!!!

And you bought it way back when!!!

My Zs have finally gotten valuable but NOTHING like a real Z/28.

A Datsun Z is user friendly for both clutch training and replacement.

A real Z/28 not so much...

My dad didn't keep two of his early cars. A real "Sebring Special" 57 fueli 4 speed Corvette and after the Vette a 59 convertible D Porsche...

I salute your Z/28 and your 52 year care of the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Has it been restored or is it a survivor?

Edit: I too, sort of have a Z/28...
I have a 31K 2002 SS Camaro slick top 6MT, special ordered that way.
It was a friend's car until it took a Dodge truck in the left rear quarter at 55+
It's a totaled complete car and is an "organ doner" for me.
I was going to use the drive train in a 98 BMW M3.
It started life as a Z/28 before SLP turned it into a SS.

That car was my daily driver all through my years as a US Steel maintenance guy and through college when I decided I wanted to be a mechanical engineer. US Steel hired me back on the spot when I popped into the Duquesne Works employment office just after graduation.

US Steel had a wonderful management trainee program back then. At that time, the Duquesne Plant and McKeesport's National Tube Plants were combined into the National Duquesne Plant so the processes went from 'basic steel' to 'oil country' finished goods.

Us trainees spent a couple of weeks in each department, from the Blast Furnaces (making iron), through the Basic Oxygen Furnaces (converting iron to steel & casting ingots), to the Rolling Mills (rolling ingots into billets, blooms & a few other shapes), to the Seamless Hot Mill (piercing billets to make Oil Country Casing & Drill Pipe) to the Finishing Mills (Cropping the pipe ends & threading the casing and prepping the drill pipe ends for the couplings they used) and the many ancillary & support departments. It took about two years to complete and left one with a comprehensive understanding of how all of the parts fit together. Steel mills are Hot, Loud & Dirty but an Awesome environment for anyone that tends toward the 'Hands-On'. The knowledge contained in American steel production is astounding!

Anyways, my Z-28 (an original car) was in and out of the mill and it showed. I bought my first VW bus (my introduction to air cooled power) to drive while I disassembled the Z-28 down to the bare sub frame. This piece I took to a local tomb stone business because they had a sand blaster. After getting it back, I painted it with an epoxy coating that US Steel painted the inside of certain pipe that was used for carrying abrasive slurries and other nasty stuff. This coating had a 50 year warranty, so I thought it would be more than adequate. Then began the reassembly. OEM parts were cheap and available then and I replaced what was needed, painted it its original Daytona Yellow w/Tuxedo Black stripes and the car was like new.

Again though, the years took their toll and this car needs some serious freshening up. It's been sitting in a garage for years awaiting its turn. I used to say these vehicles, (the Z-28, my 1966 VW camper and more recently my 1974 914) were 'retirement' projects, but more and more I'm beginning to think I'll retire when I expire...

From what I gather through lurking on 914World.com, many of you have similar stories with cars owned through your lives. The victories, set backs and disappointments we go through all contribute to who we are and, as can be seen in the many threads here, have created quite a bond. We, as a society would do well to emulate that what exists here...

+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Dec 14 2023, 11:29 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 22,863

Upper Firewall: I decided to start here with this large piece to see how bad things were with the rust and the paint. The following images show my work to try and save/restore the metal. I found that by scraping, wire-wheeling, and using rust remover I could slowly begin to expose the metal. I soon came to realize that sand blasting or rust encapsulation would be the solution with this panel. Regardless of my decision, new metal would be needed to repair the holes and areas of really heavy pitting. In the end, I decided to scale back the size of the patches (see marks vs. actual patch size) and went with a brush-on, high temp rust encapsulator after properly preparing the surface. Here are the photos that show the progression with an ultra-rare cameo by yours truly.

Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Dec 14 2023, 11:44 AM
Post #25

Awesome story and post!

You're real...

Let's not thread jack Fred's LE thread. I type too much anyway.
I've already taken my BS private with Fred to not clutter up this excellent thread.

Suggestions for tools (air nibbler) and cars for kids did not need to be included IMO.

I'm looking forward to further conversations with Both Fred and Arkady.

"From what I gather through lurking on 914World.com, many of you have similar stories with cars owned through your lives. The victories, set backs and disappointments we go through all contribute to who we are and, as can be seen in the many threads here, have created quite a bond. We, as a society would do well to emulate that what exists here..."

Well said...

Edit: Fred posted firewall pictures while I was typing.
Look at that work! Better than 95% of the "body shops" out there!

I think Fred is "sand bagging" us...
He sounds like a beginner but his work SCREAMS MASTER!
Nicely done Sir!
Really NICE!
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Dec 14 2023, 12:04 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Dec 14 2023, 11:44 AM) *

Nicely done Sir!
Really NICE!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Thanks but I develop software for a living. That's a far-cry from being a metal-worker/fab guy. I'm not that good at doing anything actually, just willing to "try" - I guess. I've learned a lot off of YouTube, 914World, and hands-on with my prior 914. I'm actually trying to post my progress over the next few days to get y'all caught up with where I am at the moment. More to come...
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Dec 14 2023, 12:24 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Dec 14 2023, 12:04 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Thanks but I develop software for a living. That's a far-cry from being a metal-worker/fab guy. I'm not that good at doing anything actually, just willing to "try" - I guess. I've learned a lot off of YouTube, 914World, and hands-on with my prior 914. I'm actually trying to post my progress over the next few days to get y'all caught up with where I am at the moment. More to come...

You LIE! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
"Not that good at doing anything" is NOT a part of your lexicon!
You're close enough to me to be of assistance and vice-versus.
We're going to be friends...

From someone who has been doing shit like this for decades the level of work you can deliver is "Finished/Master".

DO NOT sell yourself short!

Own it...
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Dec 14 2023, 03:06 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Dec 14 2023, 12:24 PM) *

You're close enough to me to be of assistance and vice-versus.
We're going to be friends...

Funny thing... My wife wants to retire in a few years to Weatherford. We might be neighbors! Regardless, I'd like to plan a little roadtrip early next year up your way to get my [other] 914's A/C looked at.
+Quote Post
Arkady
post Dec 14 2023, 05:59 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Dec 14 2023, 12:44 PM) *

Awesome story and post!

You're real...

Let's not thread jack Fred's LE thread. I type too much anyway.
I've already taken my BS private with Fred to not clutter up this excellent thread.

Suggestions for tools (air nibbler) and cars for kids did not need to be included IMO.

I'm looking forward to further conversations with Both Fred and Arkady.

"From what I gather through lurking on 914World.com, many of you have similar stories with cars owned through your lives. The victories, set backs and disappointments we go through all contribute to who we are and, as can be seen in the many threads here, have created quite a bond. We, as a society would do well to emulate that what exists here..."

Well said...

Edit: Fred posted firewall pictures while I was typing.
Look at that work! Better than 95% of the "body shops" out there!

Nicely done Sir!
Really NICE!

Agreed! Sorry for getting off subject.

I too am following this thread to learn from others that are traveling this road ahead of me!
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Dec 14 2023, 07:13 PM
Post #30

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Awesome work! Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring others to get greasy…
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Dec 14 2023, 08:00 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Outstanding work and attitude. And you seem to be violating the axiom about speed ro quality. Gonna have this done in time for Christmas?
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Dec 14 2023, 08:37 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 20,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I am in awe!
+Quote Post
pfreiburger
post Dec 14 2023, 10:49 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 24,738
Region Association: None

Totally agree with all of the above, it is a real pleasure to watch someone committed to doing it right.

A casual trim around YouTube to look at ‘bodywork’ video is enough to make one swear off ever buying anything with a coat of paint on it.
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Dec 15 2023, 08:34 AM
Post #34

QUOTE(iankarr @ Dec 14 2023, 07:13 PM) *

Awesome work! Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring others to get greasy…

Thanks Ian!

Your videos helped me on my last 914. Had to revisit a few lately before disassembly of the LE's front/rear suspension. Hope to meet you in person someday.

~Fred
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Dec 15 2023, 08:44 AM
Post #35

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 14 2023, 08:00 PM) *

Outstanding work and attitude. And you seem to be violating the axiom about speed ro quality. Gonna have this done in time for Christmas?

@bkrantz - I violate no axioms! I wish I could. You are seeing work performed over several weeks in the later part of 2022. I'll have to date my work on this thread. Next up is the tunnel and cross member and then the venerable passenger side longitudinal and hell hole.
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Dec 15 2023, 09:29 AM
Post #36

Inner Firewall / Transverse (12/2022): Before I could mount the car on a rotisserie, I had to first replace the unsalvageable crossbar and tunnel. The metal here was so weak from rust, you could move the structure with your hand about 6 inches in either direction. These photos show the reinforcement followed by removal of the "floors" and support metal. Notice the rust tear along the passenger side longitudinal.

Next, I removed the welds on the traverse. I wanted to leave the lower firewall (behind it) for strength. With the part removed, I was able to take measurements and transfer the speed nuts (?) over to the new panel and weld the piece in place. The welds into the lower firewall will wait till that piece is replaced later.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Dec 15 2023, 09:43 AM
Post #37

Tunnel and Crossbar (12/2022): After purchasing a used tunnel from 914Werks (Thanks Rich!), I prep'd and installed the tunnel followed by the a new crossbar from Restoration Design. At the end, additional bracing was added prior to mounting on the rotisserie. Some of the lower bracing will be removed once the passenger side longitudinal is repaired.

+Quote Post
Aerostatwv
post Dec 15 2023, 10:12 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 13,315

Awesome work! At first glance, I thought you were installing diamond plate in the floors.
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Dec 15 2023, 11:16 AM
Post #39

QUOTE(Aerostatwv @ Dec 15 2023, 10:12 AM) *

Awesome work! At first glance, I thought you were installing diamond plate in the floors.

LOL! Yeah, I didn't want to be down on the dirt so I ordered a cool looking rubber mat.
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Dec 15 2023, 11:49 AM
Post #40

The wildest thing is he's doing this in the DIRT!

No climate-controlled shop...

Teenagers helping him...

Work that will require CLOSE inspection to determine it's been replaced.

One of my rules is "leave no marks" if possible. He's getting close on a "complete loss of pan" car...

I wouldn't have thought a novice could produce that level of work in the best of environments.

Doing it "in the dirt" makes it all the more impressive IMO.

Are you planning on painting it in the dirt as well?

That would make you MAGICAL!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 02:40 PM