Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Considering a run of shifter knobs, I've not done one in years
Jamie
post Jan 30 2024, 10:17 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jan 29 2024, 11:14 AM) *

Hey all, I'm considering a run of 917 style shifter knobs, which I've not done in about 5 years.

These would be different from the ones I have made in the past.

I bought a bit of European birch plywood, and I plan to make them from that. The shipping cost more the then lumber, and the lumber wasn't cheap.

In the past I have always used either maple and mahogany or maple and dark walnut for these knobs. And then finished them with several oats of oil and wax.

This time around they would be very (hopefully very very) similar to the knobs made by the Porsche race teams for their 917 cars. Right wood. Right finish. Wrong car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

The knobs were known as "balsa" shift knobs, but were actually made from birch ply and glued onto the shifter rod.

My plan is to turn and smooth them, and fit them with the delrin inserts I make (instead of glueing the knob to your shift rod). But otherwise they will be very much like the originals - no finish save the oils from your hands.

The wood is a furniture grade euro ply - its not the rough crap from the local home depot.

I've not got the wood yet, and I need to order more delrin rod for the inserts. But before I do that, is there even any interest in this, or am I the only one that thinks its a cool idea?

As far as I know, no-one else is doing these this way, everyone is making them similar to how I was doing it, though I've yet to see someone making the inserts I developed for use with the stock crush rings.

These would definitely be a little more racey and raw. I don't know, maybe I'm the only one that thinks it would be cool.

I should also point out, these could also be finished in oil and wax for a bit of refinement and would likely look awesome. But I kinda want to make them as close to the actual deal as I can this time, and see how it goes.

Let me know what you think. And I'll make up a test knob when the wood gets to me.

Zach

As a woodworker/woodturner I have experience with Dymondwood, short in supply since the plant burned several years ago. This laminated resin infused Baltic Birch material makes excellent shift knobs, and a variety of colors can allow laminations color matched to car color schemes. Another similar material named DymaLux may now be more readily available. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 30 2024, 01:06 PM
Post #22

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Jamie @ Jan 30 2024, 11:17 AM) *

As a woodworker/woodturner I have experience with Dymondwood, short in supply since the plant burned several years ago. This laminated resin infused Baltic Birch material makes excellent shift knobs, and a variety of colors can allow laminations color matched to car color schemes. Another similar material named DymaLux may now be more readily available. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

I tried this stuff about 10 years ago. I turns beautifully and polishes up amazing. But it is NOT UV stable. Back in the day my WRX was the test bed for a lot of knobs I made, and all of the resin impregnated plywood I tried cracked badly within a week to a month. I tried several different times with different craft plys from different plants. I finally got one I thought had been a success but then it started cracking just after 1 month. I still have a bunch of the stuff in my shop, and will occasionally make things like pens and ornaments from it. Its great stuff so long as you don't keep it in the sun.

At the time I actually talked to the Dymondwood people about it and they confirmed that their product was not intended where it would be in a warm and UV heavy environment. I recall bow makers were also having issues with it when people would leave their bows in the car between shooting sessions. Then they would draw it one day and the bow would come apart dramatically.

THAT SAID - most people keep classics in the garage, and my WRX was an outside car. It might work fine. But I'm not going to try it again.

At the time I also tried to find a marine version of the same, but no one was making it. That may have changed over the past decade.

This is the same reason I stopped doing the CA finish I was using for a bit. I sent some to Europe and got word that the finish was delaminating from the wood given the much colder climate. The wood contracted and the CA finish didn't, leaving voids between wood and finish, ruining the knob. I made new ones at no charge for everyone that had an issue and got my lunch eaten. Since then, I've only offered the oil and wax finish. Takes longer to apply, but looks nicer in the end IMO.
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Jan 30 2024, 06:36 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jan 30 2024, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Jamie @ Jan 30 2024, 11:17 AM) *

I tried this stuff about 10 years ago. I turns beautifully and polishes up amazing. But it is NOT UV stable. Back in the day my WRX was the test bed for a lot of knobs I made, and all of the resin impregnated plywood I tried cracked badly within a week to a month. I tried several different times with different craft plys from different plants. I finally got one I thought had been a success but then it started cracking just after 1 month. I still have a bunch of the stuff in my shop, and will occasionally make things like pens and ornaments from it. Its great stuff so long as you don't keep it in the sun.

At the time I actually talked to the Dymondwood people about it and they confirmed that their product was not intended where it would be in a warm and UV heavy environment. I recall bow makers were also having issues with it when people would leave their bows in the car between shooting sessions. Then they would draw it one day and the bow would come apart dramatically.

THAT SAID - most people keep classics in the garage, and my WRX was an outside car. It might work fine. But I'm not going to try it again.

At the time I also tried to find a marine version of the same, but no one was making it. That may have changed over the past decade.

This is the same reason I stopped doing the CA finish I was using for a bit. I sent some to Europe and got word that the finish was delaminating from the wood given the much colder climate. The wood contracted and the CA finish didn't, leaving voids between wood and finish, ruining the knob. I made new ones at no charge for everyone that had an issue and got my lunch eaten. Since then, I've only offered the oil and wax finish. Takes longer to apply, but looks nicer in the end IMO.

My go-to finish for such applications is MinWax Wiping Poly, fast and easy to apply and very durable. Use it on a lot of my turnings. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 30 2024, 09:20 PM
Post #24

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I would be honored to get a couple of these!
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 30 2024, 10:57 PM
Post #25

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

I'm in for one. I have a nice Porsche crested shift knob now so not sure I'll put it on the shifter. If I don't install it I'll put it on the shelf next to my 1:24 Gulf Porsche 917K model. Either way I'm in for one.
+Quote Post
GBX0073
post Jan 30 2024, 11:41 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 25,007
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Count me in
+Quote Post
v82go
post Jan 31 2024, 06:05 AM
Post #27

Resident Contrarian

Member No.: 3,250

Me too
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 31 2024, 06:49 AM
Post #28

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

For those that weren't around or don't remember what these cool knobs and pens looked like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 31 2024, 08:45 AM
Post #29

En Garde!

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 31 2024, 07:49 AM) *

For those that weren't around or don't remember what these cool knobs and pens looked like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The first knob I ever made. Literally turned on a drill press using files and sandpaper because I did not have a lathe yet. 15ish years ago...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1706712325.1.jpg)

I would go on to make several hundred of these with only minor changes. My drill press, reloading press, several wine stoppers, etc all have these knobs on them that I considered seconds and refused to sell, but were still too nice to not use. This particular knob lives on a shelf in my wood shop to remind me where I started.

But this is very different from what I'm going to make. These were the maple and mahogany knobs. I'll get pics of what the new ones will look like in a bit when I get the wood in.

Since we were talking about the Dymondwood...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1706712326.2.jpg)
The stuff was a dream to work with. This was my favorite of the knobs I made with it, and I still have it, though it ended up cracking badly over the couple weeks that I had it on my car. Broke my heart as I had people in the Subaru crowd lining up to get them and I had to pull the plug on the whole operation due to the UV issue.

Zach
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Jan 31 2024, 09:16 AM
Post #30

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jan 31 2024, 06:45 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 31 2024, 07:49 AM) *

The first knob I ever made. Literally turned on a drill press using files and sandpaper because I did not have a lathe yet. 15ish years ago...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1706712325.1.jpg)

I would go on to make several hundred of these with only minor changes. My drill press, reloading press, several wine stoppers, etc all have these knobs on them that I considered seconds and refused to sell, but were still too nice to not use. This particular knob lives on a shelf in my wood shop to remind me where I started.

But this is very different from what I'm going to make. These were the maple and mahogany knobs. I'll get pics of what the new ones will look like in a bit when I get the wood in.

Since we were talking about the Dymondwood...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1706712326.2.jpg)
The stuff was a dream to work with. This was my favorite of the knobs I made with it, and I still have it, though it ended up cracking badly over the couple weeks that I had it on my car. Broke my heart as I had people in the Subaru crowd lining up to get them and I had to pull the plug on the whole operation due to the UV issue.

Zach

Source some Cocobolo if you can find it, beautiful and durable, so naturally oily no finish needed! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
abes914
post Feb 3 2024, 12:09 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 12,880
Region Association: Southern California

I am in for a couple please. I have one already installed in my car from 5 years ago and still looking good. The new one will be a belated gift to a 914 friend and hoping to get his car running soon, and another one for inspiration to get out of the office and ride the car more.
+Quote Post
Freezin 914
post Feb 3 2024, 12:27 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 17,687

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 31 2024, 06:49 AM) *

I’m with Rick on this one, “If you know,…….you know.”

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Stratfink
post Feb 4 2024, 01:50 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 26,198
Region Association: Southern California

I’m in as well…
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Feb 4 2024, 04:27 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

I am also in as well.
I love the one that you made and I would like another for my other car
+Quote Post
cholland_
post Feb 4 2024, 03:40 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 7,029

Also interested.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 6 2024, 06:40 AM
Post #36

En Garde!

Wood has arrived. I need to clean all the VW Bus parts off my table saw (that I'm apparently just using as a table...) and I'll be able to buzz out a blank for the test knob. Maybe today if I can find time and all my glue has not frozen. :-/

Zach
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Feb 6 2024, 01:07 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 15,610

One question for which the answer wont change my decision: possible to do the blonde and black in lieu of the brown? I know this opens pandoras box of color requests and if you say no way thats cool. Will still gladly add it to the race car. In fact i want two as i have another car in the works right now.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 6 2024, 01:38 PM
Post #38

En Garde!

QUOTE(BillJ @ Feb 6 2024, 02:07 PM) *

One question for which the answer wont change my decision: possible to do the blonde and black in lieu of the brown? I know this opens pandoras box of color requests and if you say no way thats cool. Will still gladly add it to the race car. In fact i want two as i have another car in the works right now.

I'm doing something a little different this time around. Let me get the POC made and photographed and see if you want it. Similar but different.

Zach
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Feb 6 2024, 02:05 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 15,610

Sounds good. Highly doubt i wont like it and want 2.
+Quote Post
Freezin 914
post Feb 6 2024, 05:44 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 17,687

Would like to thank you in advance for even considering doing another run……..
Thank you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:07 AM