Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 5 lug rear rotors
mb911
post Mar 27 2024, 05:08 AM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So I had my buddy do my first setup of 5 lug hubs and rotors at work. You have to ensure you start with the correct lug hole when lining things up for machine work so that they do line up. Though not necessary as many have mentioned but if the same lug hole is not chosen you do end up with the above.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Apr 1 2024, 04:25 PM
Post #22

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(jmargush @ Mar 25 2024, 04:18 PM) *

Are the 5 lug rear rotors supposed to use the 2 small screws to mount them to the hub or does the wheel just hold them to the hub?

The Hub is a URO hub which has the 911 mounting hole pattern.

The Rotor is a 914-4 redrill and the mounting hole pattern is the 914 pattern.

Solutions:

1. Redrill the hub to the 914-4 mounting hole pattern.
2. Redrill the rotor to the 911 mounting hole pattern.
3. Set your handbrake by using two open faced lug nuts then, install your wheels as @JamesM mentions and forget about it.
4. Purchase 914-6 rear rotors??
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Apr 1 2024, 11:15 PM
Post #23

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 1 2024, 02:25 PM) *

QUOTE(jmargush @ Mar 25 2024, 04:18 PM) *

Are the 5 lug rear rotors supposed to use the 2 small screws to mount them to the hub or does the wheel just hold them to the hub?

The Hub is a URO hub which has the 911 mounting hole pattern.

The Rotor is a 914-4 redrill and the mounting hole pattern is the 914 pattern.

Ah, that makes even more sense as to why it is occurring. I was assuming the hubs were re-drilled 4 bolt hubs. With new 5 bolt hubs there would be no compatible stud orientation to retain that set screw functionality without drilling more holes.

For sure not worth the hassle to drill for those, especially considering I have had zero issues in cars where I have ran without them which is far less than I have had swapping rear rotors in cars where that set screw rusts in place and strips out when attempting to remove. Rear brake jobs are a lot more enjoyable when they dont involve f'in impact drivers and/or drills.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Apr 2 2024, 08:33 AM
Post #24

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 27 2024, 05:08 AM) *

So I had my buddy do my first setup of 5 lug hubs and rotors at work. You have to ensure you start with the correct lug hole when lining things up for machine work so that they do line up. Though not necessary as many have mentioned but if the same lug hole is not chosen you do end up with the above.

It ended up with the above because URO chose to use the 911 mounting pattern on their new hubs. All of our 914-4 hub redrills use this method you describe.

Bottom line:

914-4 hub redrilled with a 914-4 rotor redrilled = all mounting holes line up.
911 hub with a 914-6 or a vented 911 rotor = all mounting holes line up (obviously you'd need a caliper swap or spacers for the vented).
URO 914-4 splined 5-lug hub with a 914-6 or 911 vented rotor = all mounting holes line up.
914-4 hub redrilled with a 914-6 rotor or 911 rotor = none of the mounting holes line up.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 09:56 PM