Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '73 2.0 Motor Purchased at an Estate Sale
germaneighter
post Mar 27 2024, 07:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,563

It's been a long time since I've posted anything here. (My '74 has been in mothballs for many years, waiting for my retirement).

I was at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago where I purchased a '73 2.0 motor that was mounted on an engine stand. It looks to be a rebuild project. The heads look newly reworked. No rockers, tubes, or pushrods have been installed. (These parts were also included (new) along with most all required tin, fan, shroud and fuel injection.) #GA008920

The reason for this post: The oil galley plugs appear to have been soldered over then coated with JB weld. I've chipped the JB weld off some of them, only to be surprised by the solder. Has anyone seen this done? Any ideas on how to proceed?

FYI - I pulled a head to determine bore & stroke. It appears to be stock. Heads have been gone through and look like they were done well (just from visual inspection) They have new valves, springs, & guides and were bead blasted.

thanks

Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
germaneighter
post Mar 27 2024, 07:35 AM
Post #2

A couple mor pics

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 27 2024, 07:56 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Every time I think I’ve seen all the dumb stuff than could be done to a VW / T4 engine there is still something new (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I think you have a couple options:

1) Run as is and hope for the best - knowing that whoever put this together was - ahem - intellectually challenged. This might be the option if you picked it up for $100 and dont care if it pops. I’d definitely run it on a test stand before wasting labor to install in a car without testing it first. Who knows - maybe the bearings are welded in too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Does it have bearings (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) who knows.

2) Dissemble / reassemble it fully to see what else has been done to it. Would also be nice to know what cam has been installed, especially if you intend to run Fuel Injection.

3) Get a new (used) case in good shape and reassemble properly

4) Case could probably be machined to remove the welded blobs from the galleys and then drilled and tapped for proper galley plugs. This will require disassembly too. The cost to properly machine may well cost more than finding a good used case.

Note: the T1 oil pump with the steel cover is another warning sign. If you are not familiar, T1 oil pump has to be machined properly to “work” in T4 engine. Even then, T1 pump OD is smaller than the ID of the bore in the case and can result in internal leakage, oil pressure loss all depending on tolerance stack.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Mar 27 2024, 08:12 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) pull it apart. The parts may be worth more than $100. Your wasting your time installing and jerking around with getting it to work.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Mar 27 2024, 08:22 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Back in the day, some of us had the galleys behind the flywheel welded up before assembly. But anything you could get to was not, those were threaded and plugged. Not sure what they want for it, just get it for a price with a possible case swap in mind if that one does not work out.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 27 2024, 09:14 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 27 2024, 10:22 AM) *

Back in the day, some of us had the galleys behind the flywheel welded up before assembly.

The problem with welding galleys is the potential for distortion of the bearing bores.

If welding were done before line boring, the distortion would be of zero concern having been machined out.

In this instance - the fact that they were welded and covered with JB weld suggests they either leaked after welding or that whoever did the welding had zero confidence in the welding itself which certainly looks to have been done by an amateur.
+Quote Post
brant
post Mar 27 2024, 09:25 AM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'm not sure its welding?

steel bolt, aluminum case...
it could be brazing/solder
it also looks like a product I've used in the past called
"liquid metal"

which is a metal paste in a tube like RTV almost that dries hard... can be drilled or sanded.

the one bolt head that is pictured and fully cleaned off doesn't look like a weld had been there.
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Mar 27 2024, 09:26 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

That looks like an "organ donor" to me.

Might have some really good organs there!

What did you pay?

The welded-up stuff say's "Monkeys" to me...

Still, if you got good heads and all the stuff bolted to the case are good you may have kicked ASS!

I'd be ripping that apart!

Running that on a stand might be a good idea but I don't think I'd install that with that case.

If you can see evidence of poor quality on the outside...

You might just need a case and oil pump.

Looks like ANY case will work per Jake Raby.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 27 2024, 10:05 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

It’s also sort of hilarious that they didn’t bother to cover the one OEM straight threaded plug that often has the highest propensity to weep. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Mar 27 2024, 10:13 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 24,781

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 27 2024, 08:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 27 2024, 10:22 AM) *

Back in the day, some of us had the galleys behind the flywheel welded up before assembly.

The problem with welding galleys is the potential for distortion of the bearing bores.

If welding were done before line boring, the distortion would be of zero concern having been machined out.

In this instance - the fact that they were welded and covered with JB weld suggests they either leaked after welding or that whoever did the welding had zero confidence in the welding itself which certainly looks to have been done by an amateur.

That was exactly what I did, luckily they ran it through and the guy doing the work on the case said it ran through clean. Thanks
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Mar 27 2024, 10:41 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

Just take it apart and measure bearings & look for any wear. if it's still stock cam, will have rivets & not bolts holding cam gear.
inspect heads carefully for casting flash in the small passages particularly near exhaust ports. mine had so much there that grit had accumulated to block off most of those passages. My engine runs cool now.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Karl R
post Mar 27 2024, 03:15 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 27,486

Lucky find, but given what you can see from the outside,you will want to pull it apart and recheck or redo every operation in the assembly. Not really that big of a deal. While you are in there I would use a different case. Again, not that big of a deal. The bonus is that it will be a nice clean project, since it was freshly built.
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Mar 27 2024, 05:07 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 15,855

The 2 liter crank and rods are worth $100 just by themselves. I would disassemble it and see what's inside and measure the case for distortion from the idiotic welding/brazing done by the DAPO. Used engine cases (and some motors) are pretty cheap, especially the 1.7 liter engines that nobody wanted in the past. If the 2 liter crank, rods, pistons, and cylinders are good, plus the 2 liter heads which seem good from your description, then you really scored. Ditch that Type 1 oil pump; they just don't ever work well in a Type 4 engine unless you are willing to do a lot of custom fitting/machining work.
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Mar 27 2024, 05:07 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 15,855

The 2 liter crank and rods are worth $100 just by themselves. I would disassemble it and see what's inside and measure the case for distortion from the idiotic welding/brazing done by the DAPO. Used engine cases (and some motors) are pretty cheap, especially the 1.7 liter engines that nobody wanted in the past. If the 2 liter crank, rods, pistons, and cylinders are good, plus the 2 liter heads which seem good from your description, then you really scored. Ditch that Type 1 oil pump; they just don't ever work well in a Type 4 engine unless you are willing to do a lot of custom fitting/machining work.
+Quote Post
germaneighter
post Mar 27 2024, 05:27 PM
Post #15

Thanks for all the feed back. Looks like a winter project, tearing this motor down. I'll report on what I find. Good thing I don't "need" a motor.

At this same sale I picked-up (8) storage tubs of parts. After going through everything I ended up with (2) full tubs of new parts, many in the original Porsche packaging.

I also picked up many pieces of new sheet metal. I didn't get hurt even if the motor ends up being total junk.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Mar 27 2024, 05:34 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(germaneighter @ Mar 27 2024, 05:27 PM) *

Thanks for all the feed back. Looks like a winter project, tearing this motor down. I'll report on what I find. Good thing I don't "need" a motor.

At this same sale I picked-up (8) storage tubs of parts. After going through everything I ended up with (2) full tubs of new parts, many in the original Porsche packaging.

I also picked up many pieces of new sheet metal. I didn't get hurt even if the motor ends up being total junk.

Often times these type of buys work out well and you come out on top. "Many pieces of new sheet metal" could be the icing on the cake. Are they NOS?
+Quote Post
germaneighter
post Apr 2 2024, 07:32 PM
Post #17

I couldn't wait for winter to tear into this thing. From my limited knowledge I didn't see anything on the inside as weird as the oil galley plug issue. The cam looks new. It has the following markings: CWC, C2, H6, 01, D2, EP93. Can anyone identify this cam from these marks?
All the pistons have been ran before but look to have a new, very slight relief cut into them. (higher lift cam than stock?)
I didn't pull the rods off yet. They look to be somewhat polished, maybe balanced?
From these pics does anyone see anything that stands-out, good or bad?
thanks

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Apr 3 2024, 06:27 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

That's an aftermarket cam with the bolt on gear, expect those grooves in pistons are from valve clash, not machining, I'd dress them a little deeper.

Just build it back up and run on engine stand, easy to do on the garage floor. then verify if any plugged oil gallery's are leaking.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 3 2024, 07:52 AM
Post #19

914 Guru

Any markings on front of cam where it comes through the gear around the slot for the oil pump drive tang?

All the other markings that are cast in are for the generic as-cast cam billet. I don’t believe any of those will tell you how the cam was actually ground.

You can measure lobe lift (using v-block and dial indicator) and try to use that information to narrow down what the cam is.

If you have a degree wheel that can help you to determine more info on overlap to ID the cam.

If the plan is to run Djet fuel injection, I’d spend some time to figure out what the cam is since FI doesn’t like to stray to far from stock cam.

The idea that the pistons are cut for valve relief would be contradictory to a mild FI capable cam. I agree with Barefoot, those look more like a previous valve / piston collision than intentionally machined valve relief. You can see the cross hatch / sanding marks where it looks like they cleaned up previously displaced material from the collision. Inspect the underside of the piston crown for any signs of deformation / cracking beyond what has happened top side.

I would also spend a little time measuring piston skirts, etc, since pistons are previously used and potentially had a valve collision.

Measure rod bearing clearances for yourself.

The re-use of damaged pistons is a warning sign that this rebuild was done with thrift in mind and needs to be carefully checked. Cylinders reused? Rings look new?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 3 2024, 10:52 AM
Post #20

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

makes me wonder....is there a way, on an engine stand, to bring a case up to full oil pressure without actually starting the engine...to check for leaks.

Personally if that was my case I would remove all of those "fixes" and redo them with newly tapped inserts and sealant.

rich
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:05 AM