Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Minnesota or Wisconsin Shop for Metal Work
collinvon
post Mar 28 2024, 03:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,207
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have a 1972 914 that hasn't been driven for a few years as the metal has been poorly patched over the years and needs a pretty healthy overhaul in order to be road ready again. I'm based in the twin cities in Minnesota and am hoping to find a recommendation for a shop in MN or western WI to bring my 914 to for a pretty serious structural overhaul.

I had plans on doing the work myself, but have two little guys that I'd rather be spending my time with at the moment.

Any advice or direction is helpful.

Thanks in advance!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
worn
post Mar 28 2024, 07:45 PM
Post #2

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(collinvon @ Mar 28 2024, 01:33 PM) *

I have a 1972 914 that hasn't been driven for a few years as the metal has been poorly patched over the years and needs a pretty healthy overhaul in order to be road ready again. I'm based in the twin cities in Minnesota and am hoping to find a recommendation for a shop in MN or western WI to bring my 914 to for a pretty serious structural overhaul.

I had plans on doing the work myself, but have two little guys that I'd rather be spending my time with at the moment.

Any advice or direction is helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Good choice, little ones over rust. I do my own here in Madison, but then my boys done grown up.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 29 2024, 04:42 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

I do that kind of work but very selective. I have offered mobile work as well depending on what work you need done.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 29 2024, 06:52 AM
Post #4

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Booked out for a year at least on my own cars. But you never know... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)

Show us some photos of the issues. That couple help encourage (or discourage LOL) involvement from one if the crazies here.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
collinvon
post Mar 29 2024, 09:00 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 29 2024, 07:52 AM) *

Booked out for a year at least on my own cars. But you never know... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)

Show us some photos of the issues. That couple help encourage (or discourage LOL) involvement from one if the crazies here.

Haha sounds good. Here is a pic of the floor pan which shows the extent of some of the fiberglass repairs. The hell hole is pretty bad, and the firewall has some issues as well, but I don't have great pictures of either of those. Looks like it's gonna be a helluva AutoAtlanta bill.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23207-1711724402.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
collinvon
post Mar 29 2024, 09:01 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 29 2024, 05:42 AM) *

I do that kind of work but very selective. I have offered mobile work as well depending on what work you need done.

I don't know the exact extent of it, but it doesn't look great structurally. The doors are aligned relatively well, but there is a lot of shoddy patchwork that needs to be undone. I'm really only concerned right now with getting the metalwork up to a decent point, and would love to do the motor / tinkering myself. It's just a bigger project than I want to take on right now for the structure of everything.
+Quote Post
collinvon
post Mar 29 2024, 09:03 AM
Post #7

Pic of the car before sitting:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23207-1711724625.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 29 2024, 10:12 AM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(collinvon @ Mar 29 2024, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 29 2024, 07:52 AM) *

Haha sounds good. Here is a pic of the floor pan which shows the extent of some of the fiberglass repairs. The hell hole is pretty bad, and the firewall has some issues as well, but I don't have great pictures of either of those. Looks like it's gonna be a helluva AutoAtlanta bill.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23207-1711724402.1.jpg)

Rule of thumb is to take the cost of the metal and multiply it by about 10-20x to get the actual cost of the repair. Depends on what your metal guy charges per hour.

The other rule of thumb is whatever you can see is only the tip of the iceberg. Our cars rust from the inside out so count on 5-10x more rust than what pics will show.
+Quote Post
collinvon
post Mar 29 2024, 11:31 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 29 2024, 11:12 AM) *

Rule of thumb is to take the cost of the metal and multiply it by about 10-20x to get the actual cost of the repair. Depends on what your metal guy charges per hour.

The other rule of thumb is whatever you can see is only the tip of the iceberg. Our cars rust from the inside out so count on 5-10x more rust than what pics will show.

That's a bit higher than my expectations for cost estimates, but I'm shooting from the hip. I would imagine I'm not getting out of anywhere less than $10k, probably quite a bit more.

As far as the rust, I'm pretty certain it's not much better anywhere else.

There's certainly a point at which it's not worth salvaging, but I don't know exactly where that line would be.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 29 2024, 11:47 AM
Post #10

Hey nice rack! -Celette

I used to attend meetings in Lake Elmo once a month or sometimes every other month. I could have easily stopped over and checked it out. But since Covid some of our offices have moved to consolidate teams. I now report to our management team in St. Cloud So I don't get the the Metro now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 29 2024, 12:04 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Sarcasm:

Just add more fiberglass and pretend there is no problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Attached Image

Serious:
Sell as is - find better car. The money you would spend on paying someone to fix to a decent standard is going to exceed the value of the chassis. Take the money from as-is sale, add money you would spend on metal work ($7-10k) and you can buy a decent driver

Alternatively, learn to weld and do metal work to a reasonable standard. It’s not hard, but it does take time to do it well which is why professional repair to high standard becomes uneconomical. Totally understand you’ve got little ones which puts a premium on time.
+Quote Post
collinvon
post Mar 29 2024, 12:17 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 29 2024, 12:47 PM) *

I used to attend meetings in Lake Elmo once a month or sometimes every other month. I could have easily stopped over and checked it out. But since Covid some of our offices have moved to consolidate teams. I now report to our management team in St. Cloud So I don't get the the Metro now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Bummer! Well, if you ever make it down, let me know!
+Quote Post
collinvon
post Mar 29 2024, 12:20 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 29 2024, 01:04 PM) *

Sarcasm:

Just add more fiberglass and pretend there is no problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Attached Image

Serious:
Sell as is - find better car. The money you would spend on paying someone to fix to a decent standard is going to exceed the value of the chassis. Take the money from as-is sale, add money you would spend on metal work ($7-10k) and you can buy a decent driver

Alternatively, learn to weld and do metal work to a reasonable standard. It’s not hard, but it does take time to do it well which is why professional repair to high standard becomes uneconomical. Totally understand you’ve got little ones which puts a premium on time.

Haha, not a bad solution!

Selling is certainly an option. Ironically, my wife loves the car more than I do, and wants me to fix it, haha. I have a 2013 Boxster S that's my fun car for now, so I'm not pressed for time or anything. It's just been sitting a long time and I will need to move it somewhere in the next few months.

I have been following the market too closely lately, but is that the range (7-10) that drivable, but not show-ready cars are going for?
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 29 2024, 12:31 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

My rough math was $3k -5k as is sale. Add $10k metal work. Add $10k paint job. Both metal and paint estimates are on low end.

$20-25k gets you a decent driver quality car.

There are deals to be had down in $13k range for a decent driver (sale + metal). But you have to search hard, accept non desirable model years, and be patient with the search.
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Mar 29 2024, 01:00 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

That's the guy I would want to do the work.

More than anyone else I know.

I'd like to "Vulcan Mind Meld" him...

He might not like what he got from me in the exchange! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ninja.gif)

Just having him as a mentor would be KICK ASS!
+Quote Post
collinvon
post Mar 29 2024, 02:41 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Mar 29 2024, 02:00 PM) *

That's the guy I would want to do the work.

More than anyone else I know.

I'd like to "Vulcan Mind Meld" him...

He might not like what he got from me in the exchange! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ninja.gif)

Just having him as a mentor would be KICK ASS!

Thanks! I'll reach out!
+Quote Post
collinvon
post Mar 29 2024, 02:45 PM
Post #17

Drivers side longitudinal (will pull passenger side Monday)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23207-1711745105.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23207-1711745105.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23207-1711745105.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-23207-1711745105.4.jpg)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 29 2024, 07:41 PM
Post #18

Hey nice rack! -Celette

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 30 2024, 06:36 AM
Post #19

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

QUOTE(collinvon @ Mar 29 2024, 12:45 PM) *

That doesn’t look terrible.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 30 2024, 09:30 AM
Post #20

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Post the other side.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:10 AM