Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Intermittent starting issues (hot and cold starts)
DC_neun_vierzehn
post Mar 30 2024, 04:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,893
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I recently started having starting issues.

Here's the recent history ...

I had zero starting issues on the car for nearly 2 years of ownership (1973 2.0 w/ a starter relay).

Then, we dropped the motor and sent it off for a 2056 rebuild last year (and Dr. Evil rebuilt my trans at the same time).

When a friend and 914 world regular helped me do the reinstall, the key in ignition switch would not start the car (the car was sitting in storage for about a year waiting for the motor and trans rebuilds). As a temporary solution, we put a remote starter in the engine bay (alligator clips to the starter) and that solved the non-starting problem. Thus, we assumed the starter switch likely needed replaced. I put that on my project list.

I used the remote starter for a few months (and ordered a replacement ignition switch). Before installing the replacement switch, I decided to put the key in to confirm the switch was bad ... well ... it worked! Thus, I started using the key to start the car for the next couple of months without any issues.

Then one day the key in the ignition would not work. It was a cold start. Car was sitting for over a day. So I tried the remote starter ... same thing ... even the remote starter wouldn't work.

So I jacked the car up and put it on stands to inspect starter from under the car. No loose wires, not corrosion, the alligator clamps for the remote starter were still where they should be. I also looked at the starter connections that go to the battery in the engine bay from above ... all looked fine there too. Nothing loose, no corrosion, etc.

So I lower car and I try starting it with the key ... and it worked. WTH? I turned it off. Tried the remote starter. That worked as well.

For the next week or so the key worked.

Then yesterday, neither would work again. This time it was a hot start. I had been driving for about 45 minutes so it was fully warmed up.

So the intermittent starting issues are happening on cold AND warm starts.

So again, I jacked the car up ... looked for anything suspect around the starter ... looked in engine bay for anything loose ... didn't see anything. Then lowered the car and tried the key ... it worked and so did the remote starter.

It's frustrating and I don't want to get stranded somewhere (it's very flat where I live and I can't park on hills to rely on popping the clutch to start the car if the ignition isn't working).

Any ideas could be causing the intermittent issues?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
DC_neun_vierzehn   Intermittent starting issues (hot and cold starts)   Mar 30 2024, 04:01 PM
emerygt350   I just went through this at the end of last season...   Mar 30 2024, 05:37 PM
emerygt350   Last little PCA fall tour this was happening to me...   Mar 30 2024, 05:40 PM
r_towle   Have you taken a look under the passenger seat at ...   Mar 30 2024, 07:06 PM
emerygt350   Have you taken a look under the passenger seat at...   Mar 31 2024, 05:10 AM
wonkipop   Have you taken a look under the passenger seat a...   Mar 31 2024, 03:33 PM
Spoke   As a temporary solution, we put a remote starter ...   Mar 31 2024, 06:58 AM
Spoke   Just to make sure there is 12V at the battery term...   Mar 31 2024, 07:37 AM
technicalninja   First, I'd over-ground the engine/starter. Mak...   Mar 31 2024, 07:50 AM
wonkipop   i've got a theory on the old hot start issue w...   Mar 31 2024, 03:29 PM
wonkipop   I recently started having starting issues. For...   Mar 31 2024, 04:05 PM
r_towle   Well, if it’s not that relay, it’s either the ...   Mar 31 2024, 04:12 PM
emerygt350   I thought the OP said he already had a relay fix i...   Mar 31 2024, 04:22 PM
VaccaRabite   Sounds like a dying starter to me. Like @Wokinpop...   Apr 1 2024, 07:24 AM
emerygt350   Sounds like a dying starter to me. Like @Wokinpo...   Apr 1 2024, 11:08 AM
wonkipop   Sounds like a dying starter to me. Like @Wokinp...   Apr 1 2024, 11:21 PM
nditiz1   I really like the Asian hi-torque starters over ...   Apr 4 2024, 06:09 PM
DC_neun_vierzehn   I really like the Asian hi-torque starters over...   Apr 5 2024, 03:44 PM
DC_neun_vierzehn   Thanks for the recos, gentlemen. I have a rebuilt ...   Apr 1 2024, 07:50 PM
r_towle   From what I found….the starter solenoid on the s...   Apr 2 2024, 09:02 AM
wonkipop   From what I found….the starter solenoid on the ...   Apr 2 2024, 07:23 PM
DC_neun_vierzehn   I wish all 914 jobs were that easy. Removing and ...   Apr 4 2024, 05:51 PM
Floyd74   I had the same issue with my ‘74 914, and I neve...   Apr 10 2024, 04:46 PM
DC_neun_vierzehn   It's been a couple of weeks since I replaced t...   Apr 13 2024, 08:12 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 01:28 PM