Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1976 fuel injection questions
914incali
post Apr 2 2024, 11:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,944
Region Association: None

Picked up a 76 out of texas that had been converted to single carb that just doesn't run very well. I decided to convert back to original FI, essentially everything is gone and I am working on understanding the system. I guess my first question is where does the fuel pump draw power from? there is a single black wire underneath the fuel tank that has no power to it but all the relays have been removed and Im waiting on those from pelican
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Apr 2 2024, 11:18 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

power is from the relay board in the engine compartment triggered by the control unit grounding the relay, you can buy a complete injection system on e bay, actually easy to inatall and a very good move to make

QUOTE(914incali @ Apr 2 2024, 10:07 AM) *

Picked up a 76 out of texas that had been converted to single carb that just doesn't run very well. I decided to convert back to original FI, essentially everything is gone and I am working on understanding the system. I guess my first question is where does the fuel pump draw power from? there is a single black wire underneath the fuel tank that has no power to it but all the relays have been removed and Im waiting on those from pelican

+Quote Post
914incali
post Apr 2 2024, 11:34 AM
Post #3

I have a complete injection system and am waiting on relays to arrive. What has me confused is I do not see a harness under the fuel tank for the pump. BTW thank you for all your videos and information that you provide

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rjames
post Apr 2 2024, 11:54 AM
Post #4

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Black and red= power, brown=ground to chassis.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
914incali
post Apr 2 2024, 12:12 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 2 2024, 10:54 AM) *

Black and red= power, brown=ground to chassis.
Attached Image

Exactly what I was looking for, haven't found the wire yet but thank you
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Apr 2 2024, 01:15 PM
Post #6

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Single brown ground cable for the fuel pump is separate from the chassis harness. Look for a male 6mm lug welded to the chassis to attach it.

Could not help but notice your ECU is for a 1973 car. Is your MPS also the 037 for a 73 car? You may have trouble smogging it in CA without the right equipment if that is what is intended. Do you have the other smog parts and have you checked the function of each component?
+Quote Post
914incali
post Apr 2 2024, 01:31 PM
Post #7

yes its out of a 73 2.0, im not to worried about smog but we will have to see how it goes, at this point just trying to get it up and running with fuel injection. Literally every thing has been removed that should be there for smog and fuel injection

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
burton73
post Apr 2 2024, 01:39 PM
Post #8

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

The problem is you are in California, and you need to get the smog pump set up with the sacrificial rubber pulley set up. Most of those parts on the rubber set up have taken a crap doing what they were supposed to do which is if the pump freezes the rubber breaks. I had to change mine out on my CA 1976 car. Your picture does not show the Pump and recirculating system. Each time you go to get the smog it will be an issue. Just so you know. Welcome to 1976 914 in California

Some of California Love lyrics.

California knows how to party California knows how to party in the city, city of LA in the city of good old watts in the city of Compton keep it rocking keep it rolling, Inglewood always up to no good.

Keep it rocking, keep it rolling

Best Bob B
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Apr 2 2024, 10:02 PM
Post #9

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914incali @ Apr 2 2024, 12:31 PM) *

yes its out of a 73 2.0, im not to worried about smog but we will have to see how it goes, at this point just trying to get it up and running with fuel injection. Literally every thing has been removed that should be there for smog and fuel injection

I'm not sure you understand that you need to be REALLY worried about passing the smog test. Look around you and see how many post 1975 and pre-OBDII cars are on the road here in California. You are going to end up putting a ton of money and time into trying to achieve that goal, and still may not pass. You'll need to have the fully original FI system in place, the catalytic convertor, all of the smog equipment, a perfectly tuned well running engine in excellent condition, and you have to find a reliable place that has the ability to test an older car. Those are now getting to be few and far between as the investment in keeping the equipment up and running is too much for most shops. You're still not going to know if the car will pass smog until after you've invested $$$$ and hours into the project. If you can't get it to pass smog you can't get it registered and you can't legally drive it here. I really hate to say it, but you're better off cutting your losses now, putting the minimum into getting the car running and driving and then selling it out of state. After that, find a 1975 or earlier smog exempt car. You probably can figure out how I know all of the above.....
+Quote Post
Karl R
post Apr 3 2024, 07:04 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 27,486

Also that is the wrong FI for your car. Your 1976 car should have a L jet instead of that D jet. Personally I prefer the L jet anyhow since it is quite a bit more mechanically robust in terms of all the connectors and wiring. I think the manifolds will have holes for three studs buy your heads will have four.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Apr 3 2024, 07:23 PM
Post #11

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

QUOTE(Karl R @ Apr 3 2024, 06:04 PM) *

Also that is the wrong FI for your car. Your 1976 car should have a L jet instead of that D jet. Personally I prefer the L jet anyhow since it is quite a bit more mechanically robust in terms of all the connectors and wiring. I think the manifolds will have holes for three studs buy your heads will have four.

Um, no. 1976 914 2.0L GC code engines are DJet, 3 stud heads. The 912E is LJet maybe that’s what you are thinking about.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 3 2024, 08:23 PM
Post #12

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

76 is djet.
I happen to have one here if you need pictures.

Rich
+Quote Post
Karl R
post Apr 4 2024, 04:39 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 27,486

I guess I'm starting to slip. I thought they stopped the 2.0 in 74 and 75 and 76 were only the 1.8. My 75 was a 1.8, but now what I think about it my wife had a 2.0 75. Did OP state what he has?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 4 2024, 05:31 PM
Post #14

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Karl R @ Apr 4 2024, 06:39 PM) *

I guess I'm starting to slip. I thought they stopped the 2.0 in 74 and 75 and 76 were only the 1.8. My 75 was a 1.8, but now what I think about it my wife had a 2.0 75. Did OP state what he has?

I think 75-76 was all about getting rid of parts
So 1.8, 2.0…djet, ljet. Whatever
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Apr 4 2024, 06:10 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 3 2024, 07:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Karl R @ Apr 3 2024, 06:04 PM) *

Um, no. 1976 914 2.0L GC code engines are DJet, 3 stud heads. The 912E is LJet maybe that’s what you are thinking about.

yeah jeffs right.
no 76 l jet 1.8s.

but the 76 D jet california 2.0 is in fact identical to the 75 D jet californian.
its not a different set up.
we did discover in all the californian air resources board certification material that the 76 models though classified as 76 MY were allowed to conform with 75 MY standards under the provision that all cars were manufactured before jan 01 1976 calendar year.
ie they were 1975 manfucture.

this is in fact why the 76s are only a half year car.
and similarly the 912E is also a half year car in terms of MY.
the 912s conform to 76 MY CARB regs and in order to do that those engines ran the L jet not the 914s. the 912E is the second half of 1976 MY car.
all were an interim provision until the 924 could arrive in the USA.

it doesn't really help a 76 model year 914 owner with passing smog.
as noted, its got to be all intact on the car.
but in terms of obtaining the emissions equipment the 76 is exactly shared with the 75 but it does have to be the california engine not the 75 49 states engine.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

apparently (as reported by one member here) many years ago a deal was made with some 76 owners to be released with conforming to that 75 cut off year due to the technicality of the original CARB certification that accepted that 76 914s were for the purposes of certification 75. but since that time the authorities have cracked down and no longer allow that special case.

EDIT
you need the works for 76 california smog.
cat.
EGR.
smog pump.
even the exhaust system (semi exhaust reactor heat exchangers).
the whole muffler set up which has the cat along with the EGR bleed tube.
its a fair bit of stuff.
and don't forget the emission sticker.
someone posted here they want to see the emission sticker in the engine bay. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

better off with a 75.
same car. exactly same car.
no smog obligations.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 11:17 PM