Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Changing my business model
mb911
post Apr 7 2024, 08:40 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have decided once my current inventory is depleted I won’t be restocking. I will only do group buys based on demand. It has become too expensive to warehouse 10s of thousands of dollars of inventory to sit for 6-12 months. It’s a state of the economy no doubt. I will continue to build off of demand only. If you want a good deal I posted pricing in the classifieds. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=369834
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 7 2024, 09:59 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Good call Ben.

I appreciate all the awesome products you’ve created for the community and totally understand not wanting to carry that inventory for such a niche market.

I’ve generally tried to get in at the time of group buys when it’s most economical for you to make parts in quantity.

You’ve been nothing but an asset to the community! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 7 2024, 11:08 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 7 2024, 07:59 AM) *

Good call Ben.

I appreciate all the awesome products you’ve created for the community and totally understand not wanting to carry that inventory for such a niche market.

I’ve generally tried to get in at the time of group buys when it’s most economical for you to make parts in quantity.

You’ve been nothing but an asset to the community! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks. It’s not that I am going away but once inventory is gone the big change happens
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Apr 7 2024, 11:32 AM
Post #4

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 7 2024, 08:59 AM) *

Good call Ben.

Not only that, but your products are literally works of art. I have one of your last (I think) quiet 2.0 mufflers, bought directly from you in September 2020. Still sitting in the box you sent it to me in but slated to go on my BB soon. I keep thinking I should display it on the wall rather than store it in the box.... I guess it is human nature to like shiny things, but this transcends the "shiny object syndrome."
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Apr 7 2024, 01:00 PM
Post #5

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Trying to be helpful not critical.

Not sure I understand your plan or how it meets customers needs for these specialized parts. Group buys only on a specific item...say an oil tank. So you make 5, 10 or 20 oil tanks by pre-order. That assumes multiple folks need an oil tank at the same time or they are willing to wait for it. If a customer wants a bumper mod, or an engine tin set, they need to wait until a GB for that? What will be the minimum group sizes to make this work for you?

In my experience most customers want an item right away, they won't wait very long.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 7 2024, 01:19 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 7 2024, 11:00 AM) *

Trying to be helpful not critical.

Not sure I understand your plan or how it meets customers needs for these specialized parts. Group buys only on a specific item...say an oil tank. So you make 5, 10 or 20 oil tanks by pre-order. That assumes multiple folks need an oil tank at the same time or they are willing to wait for it. If a customer wants a bumper mod, or an engine tin set, they need to wait until a GB for that? What will be the minimum group sizes to make this work for you?

In my experience most customers want an item right away, they won't wait very long.

Yup you’re right. Bumper mods are done with customer owned bumper typically. The rest of the parts are currently make I have a ton a money just sitting on the shelf and the economy/ possibly the market has changed. I will probably just collect names of interested people and order laser cuts based on that. I have enough inventory to make it through the end of the year or about 20-25 cars worth but after that I will reassess next steps
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Apr 7 2024, 01:53 PM
Post #7

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

I’m sure it’ll work out for you, your stuff is in high demand.

The main issue seems to be the need to inventory materials? Can you just order materials as needed to build to order, or there must be more involved than that.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 7 2024, 02:02 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 7 2024, 11:53 AM) *

I’m sure it’ll work out for you, your stuff is in high demand.

The main issue seems to be the need to inventory materials? Can you just order materials as needed to build to order, or there must be more involved than that.

Might be an option. I don’t think I will ever do filter consoles again though as that requires me to order 150 and they sit for multiple years.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Apr 7 2024, 02:03 PM
Post #9

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

We've been in an unofficial recession for 2 quarters now, due to the rising cost of basic living expenses. Sales of non-essentials is down everywhere.
Can't tell you where we'll be a year from now...
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 7 2024, 03:32 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 7 2024, 12:03 PM) *

We've been in an unofficial recession for 2 quarters now, due to the rising cost of basic living expenses. Sales of non-essentials is down everywhere.
Can't tell you where we'll be a year from now...

Yup for sure I can see that in translated sales.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 7 2024, 06:55 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 7 2024, 03:00 PM) *

In those cases, money talks, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif) walks.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Apr 7 2024, 07:02 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(fiacra @ Apr 7 2024, 11:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 7 2024, 08:59 AM) *

Good call Ben.

Not only that, but your products are literally works of art. I have one of your last (I think) quiet 2.0 mufflers, bought directly from you in September 2020. Still sitting in the box you sent it to me in but slated to go on my BB soon. I keep thinking I should display it on the wall rather than store it in the box.... I guess it is human nature to like shiny things, but this transcends the "shiny object syndrome."

I also got one of the last quiet mufflers, which is indeed a work of engineering art. After admiring it on the floor of my guest room for more than a year, I did finally bolt it into my car. And it works as good as it looks.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Apr 8 2024, 02:37 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 13,770

Love you Ben, what works for you and your family. You have great products. Best, Mark
+Quote Post
mzapisek
post Apr 8 2024, 03:47 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,188
Region Association: North East States

Ben you have been doing this long enough to know what products have the longest shelf life. I own a custom mfg business so I only build to order. You products are held in high regard. You would probably be way ahead to just build to order and charge the appropriate premium. Get the money up front so you’re not out of pocket (or at least half down/balance before shipping). That way you’re in control of your cash flow and production cycles. Building to inventory as you have stated is costly. Best of luck.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 8 2024, 04:05 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

QUOTE(mzapisek @ Apr 8 2024, 01:47 PM) *

Ben you have been doing this long enough to know what products have the longest shelf life. I own a custom mfg business so I only build to order. You products are held in high regard. You would probably be way ahead to just build to order and charge the appropriate premium. Get the money up front so you’re not out of pocket (or at least half down/balance before shipping). That way you’re in control of your cash flow and production cycles. Building to inventory as you have stated is costly. Best of luck.

Right on. 20 years in business many ups and downs. Got some great deals on parts right now and will update my website with pricing
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Apr 8 2024, 04:20 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

agree with the change Ben, with your skill it should be build to suit, not stock and hope someone will want the exclusive parts you make.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Apr 8 2024, 05:36 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

maybe inventory less?

What is most profitable?
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Apr 8 2024, 05:37 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

QUOTE(mzapisek @ Apr 8 2024, 03:47 PM) *

+1
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 8 2024, 06:00 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

QUOTE(930cabman @ Apr 8 2024, 03:36 PM) *

maybe inventory less?

What is most profitable?

You have to get a decent qty cut or machined to make it even affordable. Like I said oil filter consoles are done period once I run out. I still have inventory from 3 years ago.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 8 2024, 06:13 PM
Post #20

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 8 2024, 08:00 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Apr 8 2024, 03:36 PM) *

maybe inventory less?

What is most profitable?

You have to get a decent qty cut or machined to make it even affordable. Like I said oil filter consoles are done period once I run out. I still have inventory from 3 years ago.

That’s what I was thinking. Some of our favorite parts might go away since they have to be made 100’s at a time.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 01:02 PM