Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Body Work
rjames
post Apr 11 2024, 11:48 AM
Post #21

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Double post
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Apr 11 2024, 11:50 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

I can guarantee that you have some serious issues under that added metal.
I hate to break it to you but that chassis is rusted out.
You may want to start with a better chassis.
I know as I've been there and done that kind of repair.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 11 2024, 11:57 AM
Post #23

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Holy crap! I would consider that "repair" borderline criminal.

That has got to be one of the worst hack jobs i have ever seen. And i've seen a few.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 11 2024, 12:34 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 11 2024, 01:57 PM) *

Holy crap! I would consider that "repair" borderline criminal.

That has got to be one of the worst hack jobs i have ever seen. And i've seen a few.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Yup ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

There is a ton of rust under all that added plate on the longs.

I’m usually in favor of recommending you dig in, and learn to repair properly. In this case, probably way better off financially and time wise to find a tub and move parts over.

The driver long doesn’t usually rust even 1/2 as bad as the passengers side. The fact that the driver side has been done is a sign Midwest cancer has caught up with this chassis long ago.

+Quote Post
Jack Standz
post Apr 11 2024, 12:38 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 23,644
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 12 2024, 12:48 AM) *

After looking at those welds I wouldn't trust anything the PO did. That should all be removed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Can't tell for sure how bad that is, but it looks like the car broke in half or was breaking in half at the spot where that sheet metal (how thin/thick?) patch piece was put on with poor welds on top of other pieces.

Many years ago we had a 914 that actually looked better than that. We removed all salvageable parts and trailered the tub to the scrap yard. When using a fork lift to unload it from the trailer, the tub broke in half. Don't think anyone should drive your car until it's properly repaired.

Sorry, and it's probably a shock to you, but your car just doesn't seem safe to drive. Have you (carefully) stood on that threshold and bounced up and down to see how much it moves? With the targa top removed,, measure the distance between the front windshield frame and the roll bar while you're gently bouncing.

+Quote Post
Jack Standz
post Apr 11 2024, 12:56 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 23,644

Another clue is there are no Jack points on both sides, which is probably why your jack is where it is. That is not a jack point and might be locoated on an area with little or no structure.

Please be careful and use an appropriate jacking point and enough stands in the right places to be safe.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 11 2024, 01:14 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

Sadly this is why you got the crazy “please go away” estimate from the dealership.

I feel terrible for you since you probably had no idea that this sort of rust and subsequent cobbled repair was under there. Hopefully this doesn’t turn you away from 914’s in general.

In addition to the general rust - another area to look at very carefully is the seatbelt attachment points to the longitudinals (outboard) and the tunnel (inboard). Your life may very well depend on these attachments and I suspect they too may be compromised by rust.

You’ll find plenty of folks here that will help get you pointed in the right direction regardless of how you proceed. Likewise, if you do decide to find another tub, have folks here put eyes on it to help advise before purchasing.

+Quote Post
SteveL
post Apr 11 2024, 01:29 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 991

I'm in Andover, so you must be pretty close. Let me know if you want me to come take a look - I had to replace the suspension console on mine about 15 years ago, so I am familiar with Hell Hole issues.
From what we see in the pics, you would be HUGE money and time ahead to get a clean shell from out west, paid to have it shipped here, fix the few small rust spots, and transfer parts.
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Apr 11 2024, 03:17 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 15,610

Thats tough to see and worse to hear the answers i am sure. Whoever did that was bandaiding everything with parts he either had on hand or got cheap and then given that mindset almost certainly welded over bad metal. Everything that was done needs to be removed if you were actually going to try and save it. Then thousands of dollars of sheet metal and 100s of hours to put right (if that is even possibe).

I bet this community can find you a decent tub to swap your good stuff over to.
+Quote Post
bmangetspaid69
post Apr 11 2024, 04:29 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 27,981
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Wow, thanks for all the help here. Definitely am in way over my head and not sure what to do next. Can’t believe I have been driving this for a year without any idea, probably put 1,000+ miles on it since I bought it
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Apr 11 2024, 04:50 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(bmangetspaid69 @ Apr 11 2024, 04:29 PM) *

Wow, thanks for all the help here. Definitely am in way over my head and not sure what to do next. Can’t believe I have been driving this for a year without any idea, probably put 1,000+ miles on it since I bought it

Does she drive ok? you might consider driving her for a while (with low stress) and search for a better chassis. Fixing repairs completed by a prior owner are most often nightmares. Great looking topside btw

best of luck
+Quote Post
burton73
post Apr 11 2024, 05:01 PM
Post #32

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bmangetspaid69 @ Apr 11 2024, 03:29 PM) *

Plenty of people driving cars they do not know are rotten underneath. Sorry you bought this car without knowing what was under there. You must decide what you can spend on this car. We do not know anything about you and this car. Was it a car from Minneapolis?

Do you have your own garage at home where you could work on it. You could learn how to weld, but some things that you have not discovered is how much rust is there in different areas. Bondo and paint can be covering up problems and you really need a person that knows what to look at go over it just to see if you should run from it. I only get a reflection on left rear quarter and the paint (the shine) There may be Bondo all over the place covering up rot on the car.

You may have spent all your extra cash and did not plan to put any money into these things after you bought it a year ago. Putting a picture, I took on Route 66 and not sure how old you are but the flintstones had no floor in their cars with the stone tires. It may not be funny to you, but you may need just to lighten it up a little

Good luck.

Best Bob B
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rjames
post Apr 11 2024, 07:06 PM
Post #33

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467

QUOTE(930cabman @ Apr 11 2024, 03:50 PM) *

Does she drive ok? you might consider driving her for a while (with low stress) and search for a better chassis. Fixing repairs completed by a prior owner are most often nightmares. Great looking topside btw

best of luck

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
This car should not be on the road.
+Quote Post
bmangetspaid69
post Apr 11 2024, 07:36 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 11 2024, 06:01 PM) *

QUOTE(bmangetspaid69 @ Apr 11 2024, 03:29 PM) *

Plenty of people driving cars they do not know are rotten underneath. Sorry you bought this car without knowing what was under there. You must decide what you can spend on this car. We do not know anything about you and this car. Was it a car from Minneapolis?

Do you have your own garage at home where you could work on it. You could learn how to weld, but some things that you have not discovered is how much rust is there in different areas. Bondo and paint can be covering up problems and you really need a person that knows what to look at go over it just to see if you should run from it. I only get a reflection on left rear quarter and the paint (the shine) There may be Bondo all over the place covering up rot on the car.

You may have spent all your extra cash and did not plan to put any money into these things after you bought it a year ago. Putting a picture, I took on Route 66 and not sure how old you are but the flintstones had no floor in their cars with the stone tires. It may not be funny to you, but you may need just to lighten it up a little

Good luck.

Best Bob B
Attached Image

Haha it truly is a flintstones car! I bought it in Michigan, the PO said he had had it for the last 15 years. Before him, it had been in Maryland since 74. From what I recall he had said he put the floors in more so as a cosmetics addition and sold it to me because his wife wanted the car gone lol! Definitely don’t have any serious cash as I just graduated from college. I’ve always been into classic Porsches and loved the 914 because it’s just unique! I bought it because I’ve always wanted to start working on a (relatively easy and cheap lol) project car and had originally thought this one was going to be perfect. I just haven’t had the time over the past year until now to fully dig in to what I was working with. I’ve got a garage I can work in and might make it a long term project as I want to see it return to its former glory
+Quote Post
bmangetspaid69
post Apr 11 2024, 07:39 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(930cabman @ Apr 11 2024, 05:50 PM) *

best of luck

She honestly drives pretty well, have never noticed any major chassis issues while driving other than the suspension feeling a bit stiff (I was anticipating just putting in some new struts and suspension coils). First gear can be a bit wonky but nothing that doesn’t still make her a blast to drive
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 11 2024, 08:23 PM
Post #36

914 Guru

What do the rear suspension consoles look like?

Not at all uncommon to have the passenger side rusted out and on the verge of collapse.

Here’s example of DAPO workmanship that was on my car - brazed because the metal was too thin and rusty to weld. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

How do the front suspension attachments look?
+Quote Post
worn
post Apr 11 2024, 09:23 PM
Post #37

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(bmangetspaid69 @ Apr 10 2024, 05:59 PM) *

Last one

The only one is in Vegas?! I don’t get that part at all. Trying to scare you off does make sense. It is gonna cost more than you probably want to pay, and the dealer gets nothing out of restoring 914s. Other than points towards karma and sainthood.

I will be driving through Minnesota in a few months. I might be able to swing by if that would help. Shifting into first gear always reminds me of the novel Dune. You are not alone.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Apr 15 2024, 01:21 PM
Post #38

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Those welds are scary
+Quote Post
DaveB
post Apr 15 2024, 03:22 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 26,107

I'm glad to hear you have enjoy driving the 914.

Based on the pics, there s no simple or inexpensive fix. As you dig into car there will be a lot of discoveries. I would guess that everything from the top of the rocker panel down, engine compartment, and inner wheel well area will need to be replaced or reworked. These projects quickly spiral into a full rebuild/restoration. As for cost, the sheetmetal would be in the $5K range. Probably between 460 and 620 hours of work for everything needed, so figure $52K and $74K for parts and labor. This type of job requires the car to be stripped down, braced, sheetmetal replaced, epoxy prime, undercoat, paint and rebuilt back up with the same parts (only bushings and rubber replaced). There could still be rust and other issues in the upper body, engine/trans needs a refresh, suspension requires replacement, etc, that would drive these costs higher.

DaveB

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 09:51 AM