Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> 1973 Paris Auto Show - Karmann Stand, ......and the Flag Cars
wonkipop
post Apr 13 2024, 11:59 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

@JeffBowlsby

good thing i got my 914 out this morning on dawn patrol.
had a great drive down in the docklands wasteland with no nongs in SUVs blocking my various hooligan antics. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

nows its cold/raining this afternoon but i am still in 914 mood/mode.

dragged out the Karmann Stand @ Paris Auto Show 1973 photos i dug up.
i discovered them on a blog about historic car shows.
they were captioned as from the Paris Auto show 1973.

time to check veracity.
image 1 i found.

Attached Image

compare and contrast with image from ludwigson on your can am website (from excellence). checks out. see notes on photos. its from paris 1973 if K L is to be trusted. and normally he can be.

Attached Image

these appear to be the two cars you term Can Am prototype 2 and 3.

from your website.
Attached Image

---------

which led me to the mystery car on the stand you term protogype 4
and which ludwigson described.

Attached Image

and this other image i dug up from the blog.
its definitely another 914 that was on the stand at the Paris Auto Show.
it was captioned as but additionally the carpet floor tiles on the stand are a match for photo of other 2 cars on stand as are general decor wall colors and graphic thematic.

Attached Image

i conclude two possibilities.
1). this is the image of the third car you seek and K L was mistaken. it did not have drop out side stripes as per porsche turbo on porsche stand. instead it had the earlier form of side stripes. it was not an USA model.
or
2) there was a 4th car on the stand and this is it and the drop out side stripes remains still to be found. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

---------

additional trivia.

this ones been of interest to me for a while.
the five cars that come under the banner of prototype 1 in your website.
frankfurt auto show cars. the 5 cars with flag themes to do with Can Am.

here is your explanation of the flags and what they represent.

Attached Image
Attached Image

a better clearer picture of the 5 cars in question.

Attached Image

ok i can't see anything french in these graphics or canadian.
i've looked hard.
all that is there is USA, UK and Germany.
no pausible symbols relating to french or canadians.

but i think i cracked it.
there are 5 cars because porsche participated in the CAN AM series for 5 seasons.
1969, 1970, 1971, 1972 and 1973.
(winning the series in 72 and 73).
they did not enter in 66, 67 , 68.

and the teams that fielded porsche cars during those five years were from 3 countries.
UK, Germany and USA.

Penske (USA) , J.W.A. (UK) , A G Dean (UK) , Martini Racing (Germany), Porsche-Audi North America. (USA).

its not about the drivers. they came from backgrounds including canada, mexico, brazil and switzerland as well as UK, USA. its just the teams.
thats my theory anyway.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

i wouldn't mind betting there is very specific intentions in the livery that relates each of the 5 cars specifically to each of the teams. but i don't know enough about the particulars of the teams that would be the clue. the english ones are very interesting.
i can see why you thought the one with rondels might have been french. but the french rondel (air force) is a blue dot and red outer ring. thats the UK rondel from the royal air force. its a pointed reference. either J W automotive (john wyer) or A.G. Dean had something to do with the Royal Air Force. same goes for the USA team cars. one of them is very flamboyant.

whoever designed these liveries was really having fun. i think they are very literate as they say in art criticism circles.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
wonkipop   1973 Paris Auto Show - Karmann Stand   Apr 13 2024, 11:59 PM
wonkipop   i got to do more work on this but i think i can se...   Apr 14 2024, 02:39 PM
wonkipop   a bit more chronology. this photo is definitely f...   Apr 14 2024, 03:35 PM
wonkipop   re the british rondel 914 on the k stand at frankf...   Apr 14 2024, 03:45 PM
wonkipop   @JeffBowlsby re your question whats behind the w...   Apr 14 2024, 07:36 PM
wonkipop   @JeffBowlsby i've gone back and dug up the b...   Apr 14 2024, 08:42 PM
wonkipop   ps got interested in this purely out of curiousit...   Apr 14 2024, 08:55 PM
wonkipop   @JeffBowlsby this was one of the last little thi...   Apr 15 2024, 04:28 PM
wonkipop   @[url=http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showu...   Apr 16 2024, 01:38 AM
JeffBowlsby   Wow. What excellent info you have researched and ...   Apr 16 2024, 08:43 AM
wonkipop   Wow. What excellent info you have researched and...   Apr 16 2024, 07:21 PM
wonkipop   Wow. What excellent info you have researched and...   Apr 16 2024, 07:31 PM
wonkipop   @JeffBowlsby these are the two proto photos you h...   Apr 16 2024, 07:51 PM
wonkipop   this might be worth a polite letter to the porsche...   Apr 16 2024, 07:55 PM
wonkipop   this is a cheap party trick (Sort of). there are s...   Apr 16 2024, 08:18 PM
wonkipop   a couple more. pretty crude on line tools but i di...   Apr 16 2024, 08:45 PM
wonkipop   to satisfy my curiosity regarding relative accurac...   Apr 16 2024, 09:03 PM
JeffBowlsby   After you mentioned the Sunoco blue/yellow Can Am,...   Apr 16 2024, 09:34 PM
wonkipop   After you mentioned the Sunoco blue/yellow Can Am...   Apr 16 2024, 11:21 PM
JeffBowlsby   My images cam from the Ludwigsen EWE book. Th Por...   Apr 17 2024, 07:35 AM
wonkipop   My images cam from the Ludwigsen EWE book. Th Po...   Apr 17 2024, 03:29 PM
wonkipop   one thing is for sure from the poster. by the time...   Apr 17 2024, 03:48 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 12:13 AM