Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fresh Air Box Vent Block Off, Want to permanently remove air box
Nor.Cal.914
post Apr 26 2024, 09:53 AM
Post #1

1975 914 3.0SC

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,523
Region Association: None

As the title states, I'm in the process of deleting all of my HVAC components and the last thing I have left is the removal of the fresh air box/blower motor housing. I have found the block off plates needed for the 6 vent and hose holes, but I'm having trouble finding someone who makes something to seal off the fresh air vent for the air box. I tried searching here, went through about 10 pages with no luck of finding anything other than how to remove and rebuild the box.

Does anyone know of someone who makes a block off plate for the vent on the cowl?

I guess worst case scenario would be to just make something from sheet metal, but would be nice if there is a kit already made with the seal, hardware, etc.

Thank you!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 26 2024, 11:27 AM
Post #2

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

i have to ask why?? you probably are not finding anything about it because i dont think anyone does that. i mean if you are racing the car not sure this is a reason but if you have it out anywhere that you get rain you will need that rain to go somewhere, i guess you could bolt a plate over the opening (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) i would not advise it. I am glad i restored my box with new seals and grate and motor etc its nice to have the ability to move air for defrost etc.
you might reconsider that, parts for fixing the fresh air box are readily available.

Phil.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 26 2024, 11:50 AM
Post #3

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I just used sheet plastic and super glue to make a blockoff plate for it.

I wanted to block it off while I was working on the AC unit. The AC is not finished and the blockoff plate is still there.

+Quote Post
Nor.Cal.914
post Apr 26 2024, 12:29 PM
Post #4

1975 914 3.0SC

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 26 2024, 09:27 AM) *

i have to ask why?? you probably are not finding anything about it because i dont think anyone does that. i mean if you are racing the car not sure this is a reason but if you have it out anywhere that you get rain you will need that rain to go somewhere, i guess you could bolt a plate over the opening (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) i would not advise it. I am glad i restored my box with new seals and grate and motor etc its nice to have the ability to move air for defrost etc.
you might reconsider that, parts for fixing the fresh air box are readily available.

Phil.

I have so many leaks in this car that I won't ever be driving it in the rain (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) I never found the HVAC system very useful for me (other than heat when I had heat exchangers). Blowing ambient air into the car to try and "cool off" didn't help much on hot days either so for me it's windows down and top off! I'll probably end up putting a plate with a drain tube on it so that water doesn't puddle up in the opening whenever I wash it. Thank you for the input! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Nor.Cal.914
post Apr 26 2024, 12:30 PM
Post #5

1975 914 3.0SC

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 26 2024, 09:50 AM) *

I wanted to block it off while I was working on the AC unit. The AC is not finished and the blockoff plate is still there.

Seems like I will be doing something similar, but a more permanent fix since I don't intend on putting the box back in at any point. Thank you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post Apr 26 2024, 01:05 PM
Post #6

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Nor.Cal.914 @ Apr 26 2024, 11:30 AM) *

Seems like I will be doing something similar, but a more permanent fix since I don't intend on putting the box back in at any point. Thank you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

If you have to do it, my suggestion is to use ABS sheet plastic and ABS glue as it works well, better than crazy glue on plastic. You can get sheet ABS from Amazon as well as the WELDON ABS glue. You can heat with a high temp heat gun and form bends

Best Bob B
+Quote Post
Nor.Cal.914
post Apr 26 2024, 03:50 PM
Post #7

1975 914 3.0SC

QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 26 2024, 11:05 AM) *

If you have to do it, my suggestion is to use ABS sheet plastic and ABS glue as it works well, better than crazy glue on plastic. You can get sheet ABS from Amazon as well as the WELDON ABS glue. You can heat with a high temp heat gun and form bends

Best Bob B

That sounds like a much better option than sheet metal! Will be much easier to make it out of one piece that way I would think. Thank you so much! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

-Christopher
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 26 2024, 04:25 PM
Post #8

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

On my '73 conversion w/ AC/Heat I gutted the box leaving it in place with drain tubes to remove/divert any water I happen to encounter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Apr 26 2024, 07:20 PM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 26 2024, 09:41 PM
Post #10

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 26 2024, 02:05 PM) *

Best Bob B

Bob,
I know for a fact that Volkswagen built lots of AC units using super glue and plastic. The Vanagon AC unit sold in the 80s was assembled completely with super glue.

My father worked on the design team for it and he brought home lots of samples of super glue for us. Plus accelerator for it. Spray the accelerator on one part, and put the glue on the other. The minute they touch, it is dry. Gets hot doing so, and you can hear it crackle.

Clay
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Apr 27 2024, 05:10 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have mine closed off. Bent sheet metal, some 1/4 inch foam tape to seal and a drain hole with tubing to the underside. Not sure why I did this, car is not driven in the rain. Best, Mark
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Apr 27 2024, 09:54 AM
Post #12

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

It's all fine and fun until the windshield gets fogged up.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Apr 27 2024, 12:16 PM
Post #13

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 26 2024, 08:41 PM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 26 2024, 02:05 PM) *

Best Bob B

Bob,
I know for a fact that Volkswagen built lots of AC units using super glue and plastic. The Vanagon AC unit sold in the 80s was assembled completely with super glue.

My father worked on the design team for it and he brought home lots of samples of super glue for us. Plus accelerator for it. Spray the accelerator on one part, and put the glue on the other. The minute they touch, it is dry. Gets hot doing so, and you can hear it crackle.

Clay

Hi Clay,

I am not saying that Superglue is not good if the job calls for it. Note the picture of some of my jobs in the early 90s. The Ship that had so many parts and the cryogenic Tanks job where built with a Superglue and I have used the kicker spray from the early 80s on. By the way you can use baking soda as a gap filler, and you get the same sound.
When it holds it is great but with ABS plastic, and ABS pipe glue the joining surfaces melts together giving you a part that is almost inscribable all ABS

For acrylic sheet I use Weldon 16 and that welds the parts together. For Acrylic cast sheet I use weld on 40 and you can see in my sculptures that it becomes as one, all Acrylic. The picture of what I sell as Lucite_Colorblends I sell at art shows. This keeps me out of trouble

Been dicking with plastic professionally for 50 years this year.

Best Bob B
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Nor.Cal.914
post Apr 29 2024, 08:00 AM
Post #14

1975 914 3.0SC

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 26 2024, 05:20 PM) *

That actually looks better than I expected with it completely removed, but I do like the look of it with the grille there still!
+Quote Post
Nor.Cal.914
post Apr 29 2024, 08:05 AM
Post #15

1975 914 3.0SC

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 26 2024, 02:25 PM) *

On my '73 conversion w/ AC/Heat I gutted the box leaving it in place with drain tubes to remove/divert any water I happen to encounter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Definitely thought about this, but I'm loving how much open space there is in there already without the vent flaps and tubing. Not sure that I will even do anything with the open space, but it is nice to look at, much less clutter! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

QUOTE(mlindner @ Apr 27 2024, 03:10 AM) *

I have mine closed off. Bent sheet metal, some 1/4 inch foam tape to seal and a drain hole with tubing to the underside. Not sure why I did this, car is not driven in the rain. Best, Mark

I will be either going this route or the ABS plastic route, just need to get the box out then I'll figure it out!

QUOTE(iankarr @ Apr 27 2024, 07:54 AM) *

It's all fine and fun until the windshield gets fogged up.

Agreed, but mine is only going to be a warm weather car now and as I mentioned earlier, I don't feel like my HVAC system helped me much overall during times where I really needed it.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Apr 30 2024, 12:02 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

When i got mine, it had a SS plate under the cowl vent. I removed it and installed all the normal vent stuff. The plate is yours for the postage . i can get you photos if wanted.

Barefoot
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 03:27 AM