Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My ride in a 911EV
emerygt350
post May 3 2024, 04:12 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

I am not sure if everyone actually watched the video. The special thing here is the torque curve and the transmission.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 3 2024, 04:16 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ May 3 2024, 06:12 PM) *

I am not sure if everyone actually watched the video. The special thing here is the torque curve and the transmission.

I watched it - fake gears, fake engine noise. I’ll take the real thing over software every time.

Lots of CVT transmissions had fake shift points.

Lots or cars have done augmented (fake) engine noise via the stereo.

Never cared for those “features” on ICE. I haven’t driven the Hyundai Ioniq so maybe it is that good. I’ll keep an open mind that it’s better than what’s out there so far.

It is funny to me though that the lack of engine noise, and lack of a transmission are supposed to be selling features for an EV, yet now they are being faked in an effort to engage the driver.

At the end of the day, is it really a 911 once it doesn’t make engine noise? Ought to be entertaining when I can go full bore NARP on a 911 guy with an electric motor and return those decades of ridicule (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 3 2024, 05:04 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 3 2024, 09:40 AM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ May 3 2024, 11:20 AM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ May 3 2024, 11:04 AM) *

"The Thrill is gone..." BB King.

Nothing visceral about that experience that I can see. Or hear. Or smell.

I have a feeling you might change your mind on that as the initial acceleration tries to put your viscera out through your mouth and spine. The potential of the electric cars is amazing.

Nope

Jeff is spot on.

I’ve been in tons of electrics. Soulless devices. Good at one thing. Massive acceleration off the line. Fast 0-60. Run out of oomph as speed rises - nature of an electric motor.

The “thrill” wears off very fast. Especially so when AWD, traction control, and ESC all make it a simple one pedal experience that any competent 12 year old could mash the pedal and be nearly as fast off the line as a pro driver.

After that you’re left with a device that highlights wind noise, and tire noise as the main sensory feedback.

Edit: I also forgot the increased propensity for your passengers to get motion sickness in EVs as another sensory feedback. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/motion-s...electric-cars/#

having recently finally had a drive of a friend's tesla ------------->
i have to agree with you, can now be objective.
i had the distinct sensation i was driving a mobile home cinema. decor and all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

i'm planning an orchard i have decided. and making a stil. biofuel to keep the 914 going?
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 3 2024, 05:36 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

QUOTE(wonkipop @ May 3 2024, 07:04 PM) *

i'm planning an orchard i have decided. and making a stil. biofuel to keep the 914 going?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 3 2024, 06:17 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(technicalninja @ May 3 2024, 06:51 AM) *

The video has close captioning for us hearing impaired...

70K!!!!!!

At one time Tygaboy's V8 car could be had for 75K.

For that much money it better be able to PIN MY ASS to the seats. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ninja.gif)

Clay's big motor could be re-created for less.

The "noise" is interesting...

I think it's transmission related and because of the noisy engine that is normally installed we don't notice the tranny noises...

All of the Tesla conversion I've seen completed are SCARY fast and nearly silent...

That did look "plug and play" and the drive train mounting was exquisite!

@PanelBilly was it stupid fast?

The video did NOT properly show its potential.

I'm in the "it's just another kind of swap. Like it/don't like, just like any other swap" camp. I'm helping a friend e-swap a Bugeye Sprite that already had a Buick 215 V8 swap. It's tough to argue with the performance and relative simplicity. If you don't like it, just move along. Me? I like them.
(BTW, I'll sell you my LS car for $60K.)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 3 2024, 06:29 PM
Post #26

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

I love my wife's Ioniq 5, 2 motor awd
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 3 2024, 06:40 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ May 3 2024, 08:29 PM) *

Serious question - have you played much with the n-torque distribution and what do you think of it?

I’ve always been surprised that more EVs aren’t doing lateral torque vectoring as well as the front / rear split
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post May 3 2024, 06:41 PM
Post #28

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

$70k in just parts to do an electric motor swap and I get less miles and doesn't seem to be more power. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

My car will move in 3rd though a bit sluggish. I normally start in 2nd.

Gas/petrol will be around another 30 years at least -- the world can't move faster.

Don't label me as anti-ev. I went to a dull EV car show last year.
Got to drive the R1T but it was the only test drive vehicle there. Decent truck, definitely felt the weight, 1 foot driving is a learned skill. Interested in the R2_ but I doubt the price makes sense for me.
I could sport the Ionic5 as a daily. Basic interior but roomy and calming. Not worth $50k
The BMW iX suv was nice. One of the most comfy seats I've been on.
Lucid Air was cramped and I kept banging my head on the roof getting in or out.
VW id4 was typical VW, which is nice for a daily, but without a Tesla charge port it's useless here.
The Model S was showing interior wear already. No X Y or 3 open for play.
No Tesla test drives (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
The Subaru was overpriced and under spec'd.
The F150 was an F150.
The legacy builders had much nicer vehicles to spend rush hour in.
Trek brought e-bikes. Those were fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
There were a few others like a Jag but were locked up with owners MIA.

The County put the event together and had good seminars covering rebates and stuff. Hopefully the next one will have more Dealer participation.

Lastly, ICE owners are alot more engaging.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post May 3 2024, 06:45 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Like it or not, besides motive power, how does this EV kit or any other change the balance and feel of a 914? Or, for that matter, a 911?

The point is not just to make a car go, or just acceleration. The point (for me at least), is the combined thrill of driving on entertaining roads.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post May 3 2024, 07:04 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

There was no fake noise, they discuss the transmission noise in the video. And the fact it doesn't make vroom vroom sounds

I think this kit is starting on the right path towards keeping the driving experience.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 3 2024, 07:38 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ May 3 2024, 09:04 PM) *

There was no fake noise, they discuss the transmission noise in the video. And the fact it doesn't make vroom vroom sounds

I think this kit is starting on the right path towards keeping the driving experience.

Are we watching the same video? I’m referring to the Hyundai Iconiq video posted as a diversion from the 911 video to show how great EVs can be.

3:23 - 3:33 “there’s a fake burble tune”

9:12 - 9:14 (ish) discussion of fake boost mode and how it disables the fake engine sound and fake gears.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post May 3 2024, 07:48 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 3 2024, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ May 3 2024, 09:04 PM) *

Are we watching the same video? I’m referring to the Hyundai Iconiq video posted as a diversion from the 911 video to show how great EVs can be.

3:23 - 3:33 “there’s a fake burble tune”

9:12 - 9:14 (ish) discussion of fake boost mode and how it disables the sound and fake gears.

I dont think we are, they are discussing the transmission sound at that 323-333 and that straight cut gears would make it more pronounced. The video is only 4 minutes long, so I am not sure what 9minutes would mean.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post May 3 2024, 07:48 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

I was sticking to the 911ev.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 3 2024, 07:55 PM
Post #34

914 Guru

Yeah - you are taking about the 911 video. I was taking about the Hyundai video.

With respect to the torque curve software on the 911, that curve is likely programmed to keep from tearing the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) out of the 915 transmission and clutch as much as it is for the driving experience.

Honestly, I’ve never driven an EV like the 911 conversion (electric motor+clutch+manual transmission) so again I’ll keep an open mind on that. Negates a lot of the benefits of an electric motor but agree it would be more engaging to drive than a conventional EV or typical EV conversion.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post May 3 2024, 09:56 PM
Post #35

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

The 915 is good for 500 ft-lbs of TQ. That motor doesn't look big enough meet that. Likely it's limited to stockish figures due to the lack of battery space. Unless they 'adjusted' stock TQ curve it really limits performance. It's like 50 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm where as it could be 200 and much faster to 60 or 100 mph.
If they doubled the power output vs stock, like a turbo would, then I would consider it an upgrade. But not for $70k. EVwest kit is like half that.
I also would not want to add 200 lbs to the rear of a narrow body 911.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post May 4 2024, 04:33 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

I have hope that we will have light batteries in a decade or so, and if that happens we will be removing weight with ev installs.

I like the idea of programmable torque curves. I know we would all end up on the 935 turbo setting eventually but for longevity of the drivetrain keeping it at the 3.2 setting would probably be smart.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 4 2024, 04:45 AM
Post #37

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 3 2024, 07:40 PM) *

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ May 3 2024, 08:29 PM) *

Serious question - have you played much with the n-torque distribution and what do you think of it?

I’ve always been surprised that more EVs aren’t doing lateral torque vectoring as well as the front / rear split

It's her daily, so I really haven't driven it much and I haven't played beyond trying to find out what the various buttons on the steering wheel do. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
We tried three EVs in one day and bought the Ioniq 5 on the spot, without looking any further. Suby and VW left us unconvinced. The Hyundai felt comfortable inside, right away.
One thing I really like is the ability to enter traffic and be at speed almost instantly. No noise, no drama, just rapid acceleration - in ECO mode. I haven't tested the limits of Sport mode, and I don't need to use an SUV as a substitute for a modern sports car. We have a BMW 240ix for that.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 4 2024, 06:22 AM
Post #38

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 3 2024, 07:41 PM) *

VW id4 was typical VW, which is nice for a daily, but without a Tesla charge port it's useless here.

There are companies out there that are selling adapters for the charge port. They plug into the car's factory charge port, and they have a connector for the Tesla chargers. They also have electronics to tell the Tesla chargers that it is a Tesla so it will charge.

We have a friend in the local PCA region that has a Taycan. She has one of these adapters she keeps in the car.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post May 4 2024, 08:55 AM
Post #39

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

This isn’t designed to be better than the original car, but to make it possible for you to enjoy the original car in a city like Paris where they have outlawed older gas engines.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 4 2024, 03:42 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 4 2024, 08:55 AM) *

This isn’t designed to be better than the original car, but to make it possible for you to enjoy the original car in a city like Paris where they have outlawed older gas engines.

not entirely true.

you can have a registered historic vehicle older than 1997 in paris.
and the usual appiies. have to be a member of car club etc to ensure its a genuine classic historic. most of those are garaged off street and not driven daily anyway.

as to the rest. banned from 8 to 8 daily during the day time. and only inside the ring road (peripherique).

paris did it to get rid of everyday junkers which are mostly diesel powered.
europe has a high proportion of diesel cars. all of which are truly filthy.
particulate pollution. the truth is you hardly need a car in central paris.

i have a good friend who has lived there for 30+ years now. he has a renault avantine he keeps garaged. you could call it a 90s antique classic. for everyday he is a member of an electric car scheme. just wanders down and grabs it from the street wherever it is.
good way to go in europe. the scheme's operators take care of the car, keep it charged etc. no headaches.

a very similar scheme by private operators is starting to happen here.
you never know i might join it. for urban travel in inner melbourne.
but the public transport here is pretty good so its sort of 50 50.
just keep my gas powered cars for weekend work. who knows.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 08:34 AM