Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fix passenger side longitudinal
windforfun
post May 16 2024, 06:12 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

QUOTE(friethmiller @ May 16 2024, 10:57 AM) *

Here's one for you. Haven't watched it all the way through but it gives you a good view of what to expect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Synh2C1E00

Here's what NOT to do, IMO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv9hBm8iCBI

No no no. That car is toast & should simply be recycled or sawed up for useful pieces. I can never understand why people pursue lost causes like this. What a waste of time IMO. Read a good book or play a musical instrument.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
boutch55555
post May 17 2024, 06:15 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 27,803
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(friethmiller @ May 16 2024, 01:57 PM) *

Here's one for you. Haven't watched it all the way through but it gives you a good view of what to expect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Synh2C1E00

Lol, yeah, I used a sawzall and cutoff wheel to do rough cuts on the floor to make it easier to remove it by parts, but that's quite something else.

Tkx for the first video, pretty much on par with what I've been reading / watching, I should be ready to tackle that part in a couple weeks once I install most of the floor back. Hopefully no more surprises once I open the longitudinal, but hey, at least Restoration Design is in Canada so I won't have to pay 300 USD shipping + 150$ customs like for the dash reproduction from AA (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
mlindner
post May 17 2024, 06:48 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I welded this up when working on my 914. It is adjustable and could get at longs and floor easily.Attached Image
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post May 17 2024, 06:50 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 22,863
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(boutch55555 @ May 17 2024, 07:15 AM) *

QUOTE(friethmiller @ May 16 2024, 01:57 PM) *

Lol, yeah, I used a sawzall and cutoff wheel to do rough cuts on the floor to make it easier to remove it by parts, but that's quite something else.

Tkx for the first video, pretty much on par with what I've been reading / watching, I should be ready to tackle that part in a couple weeks once I install most of the floor back. Hopefully no more surprises once I open the longitudinal, but hey, at least Restoration Design is in Canada so I won't have to pay 300 USD shipping + 150$ customs like for the dash reproduction from AA (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The guy in the first video would weld better if he'd just get his hand closer. If I can, I always rest my hand against the metal and use it to stabilize the welding gun. Maybe he'll figure it out. But at least he's repairing the damage, not sawing off arms and legs. Oh, and yes! I just ordered floorpans from RD. All the fees/shipping to the states (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Thankfully that should be the last big order from them for this car. Look forward to seeing the restoration photos. Best of luck!
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 17 2024, 07:09 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(windforfun @ May 16 2024, 06:12 PM) *

QUOTE(friethmiller @ May 16 2024, 10:57 AM) *

No no no. That car is toast & should simply be recycled or sawed up for useful pieces. I can never understand why people pursue lost causes like this. What a waste of time IMO. Read a good book or play a musical instrument.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

I cannot disagree, this one is rough. there are many examples out there in better condition.
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post May 17 2024, 09:26 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

First video is a crappy 1/2 repair in my book. Those two bottom metal layers in the upper long are affected by rust and he's just rust proof painting over it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

The inner layer is gone in many areas (swiss cheese) and surely half of thickness of the outer layer (facing inward) is gone too in those areas too...

Attached Image

Attached Image

As a reference, here was the situation in my driver's side. At fist glance, that inner lower layer doesn't seem too bad, actually a lot better than his.

Attached Image

But these little two bumps caught my attention and made me suspicious...

Attached Image

So I started to peel that layer off...

Attached Image

And here is the final result of the outer layer after having washed that zone with citric acid! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) So, again, rust is hiding in between layers. That guy is ignoring it and just covering it with paint...

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Geezer914
post May 17 2024, 04:54 PM
Post #47

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179

That is the problem trying to restore a very rusty chassis. With the longs that far gone, you have rust hiding everywhere. You can try to fix everything you see but the rust will spread like cancer. Repairs will be an ongoing battle. Better to find a California tub and start with something more solid. Hate to see all the work come back to haunt you later on. Just my 2 cents.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 17 2024, 07:17 PM
Post #48

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ May 17 2024, 06:54 PM) *

That is the problem trying to restore a very rusty chassis. With the longs that far gone, you have rust hiding everywhere. You can try to fix everything you see but the rust will spread like cancer. Repairs will be an ongoing battle. Better to find a California tub and start with something more solid. Hate to see all the work come back to haunt you later on. Just my 2 cents.

That’s why the A-game fix is a new wheel house inner including the long up in the engine compartment, a new inner long, a new outer long.

That rebuilds all the structure from trunk to A-pillar with new Galvaneal metal. It will last the rest of any of our lives, and then some.

Expensive, labor intensive but will last and no worry for rust.
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post May 18 2024, 06:36 AM
Post #49

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179

When you add up the cost of new sheet metal, welding rods, grinding and cutting wheels, primer, and sealer; plus material to build jigs and braces to keep everything in alignment and your time, it will far exceed the the cars worth when completed. If the car was an original 914-6, it would justify the effort. There are cars worth restoring and cars just for parts.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 18 2024, 07:09 AM
Post #50

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ May 18 2024, 08:36 AM) *

When you add up the cost of new sheet metal, welding rods, grinding and cutting wheels, primer, and sealer; plus material to build jigs and braces to keep everything in alignment and your time, it will far exceed the the cars worth when completed. If the car was an original 914-6, it would justify the effort. There are cars worth restoring and cars just for parts.

All true

At the risk of redundancy

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
boutch55555
post May 18 2024, 07:54 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 27,803
Region Association: Canada

It doesn't have to make financial sense when it's a passion project though. My car's nickname is midlife crisis, I've been dreaming about getting one for literally 25 years. I wanted a project now that I have a garage to work on it. Might be a bunch more work than what I hoped for, but at the same time I don't need it to be perfect and I don't really care throwing 10-15k$ at it, I made waaaaay worse financial investments decisions through the years.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 02:31 AM