Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Hello from Buenos Aires, interesting adventure
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 23 2005, 08:26 AM
Post #1

That's my ride.

Group: Members
Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

It was a dark and stormy night and we were headed back to our apartment that we are renting in downtown. Suddenly a light changes and our Fiat is rapidly introduced to a Renault. Luckily the cars werent going very fast, maybe 20 to 30 miles per hour, but it was more than enough to cave in the passenger side door of the car where I was sitting.

So the French car pushed in the door of the Italian car about 8 to 12 inches which pushed me over a corresponding distance and I received a nice shower of safety glass, which even after a 30 minut shower is still present though in miniscule amounts.

Of course I must have flown a bit because somehow the inside of my right knee banged something and is now nice and puffy.

So Im sitting here in this pretty huge roundabout in this tiny car and my wife who was driving is attempting to talk to the iodiot who hit us. The (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/stromberg.gif) was yellinga t my wife and when my wife asked him to call for an ambulance, he claimed his phone was out of credits. Then a moment later hes talking to his friends. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

So I sat there for several minutes before the police came and several more minutes before the ambulance came. I had no idea what if anything was wrong but I wanted to get checked out.

A bunch of people who may have been police, paramedics, etc. managed to get a collar on my and put me on to a strecher. At this point the talking began. I really donyt know much spanish and it was at this moment where I wished I had payed more attention in high school.

My wife was occupied with the police, as well as my parents who were in the back seat of the car. So here I am sitting in the back of this ambulance trying to figure out what they are asking me and saying 'tengo dolor aca' and pointing.

An interesting fact about the Argentine health care system which may be true of other countries, is that hospitals tend to be organized by nationality. For instance, there is a healthcare system from the Germans, the Italians, British, etc. And these are great to varying degrees with German and Italian apparently having the best hospitals.

And then theres the place where you go if you have no insurance, which was the case with me, mostly because I forgot that my health insurance covers me for emergencies anywhere, not just the US.

The public hosptials in Buenos Aires leave something to be desired, even this one which is in a nice neighborhood. For instance, my mom wanted ice to help her bruise and the nurse said 'we have no ice' which may have meant 'no ice for you' or 'actually we have no ice.'

So next she wants to wash her hands and of course the sink in my room was missing soap. Again 'we have no soap'. Then my dad looks down the hallway, and there standing in front of the portable Xray machine is what else but a black cat. UN GATO! A friggen cat was running around this hospital. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/owned.gif)

In the end the doctors did a good job. They gave me several Xrays, an sonogram, and a blood test. I was there for 6 hours while my wife was being detained by Buenos Aires's finest. We are going back to the station now to take care of some paperwork...

In any event Im fine and just bruised and beaten up. We were lucky it wasnt a bus and lucky that the light had JUST changed.

More details including photos later. This computer doesnt have a USB port so no downloading pics yet. Soon though...

-Tony
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 23 2005, 08:30 AM
Post #2

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

We need to start a "Get Tony out of Jail Fund" now.

These things never turn out good. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
phantom914
post Aug 23 2005, 08:33 AM
Post #3

non-914-owner non-club member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,708

Sorry to hear it Tony. I hope the rest of your trip goes better.

What do you mean your wife was being detained?

Andrew
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 23 2005, 08:45 AM
Post #4

That's my ride.

Well, the law here is funny of course...

Apparently because I decided to go to the hospital it makes the accident more serious and so I have to sign some affidavit saying that I wont sue my own wife. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

And she also needs to declare her side of the story now because if it gets ito the court system they will give her a court date and taht could be weeks or months from now. If this sounds confusing, it is. I dont get it, but we are going to go down there now and find out what we need to do to get this taken care of.

-Tony
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 23 2005, 09:03 AM
Post #5

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Yikes! Glad to hear you're pretty much OK. Will they let you leave the country before this is resolved, or will I be sending your x-mas gift to Argentina? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 23 2005, 09:05 AM
Post #6

****************************************************************************************************

Any 914's down there?
+Quote Post
Quilmes
post Aug 23 2005, 09:44 AM
Post #7

Torino 380 W

Member No.: 3,510

QUOTE (URY914 @ Aug 23 2005, 07:05 AM)
Any 914's down there?

Hey Tony if you are still stuck in BA in November ( Just Joking) I will look you up. I will be there with my family from Nov5-25.
If you need any help with your family or lawer you can e-mail me and I will give you there names and phone numbers. I still have very good friends down there.
I am working on a show call "El Garage" they just launched there own channel and I am trying to help them get them on my network and there own station here in the USA.
There is a guy named Hugo Polenta he run the Porsche dealership in BA and he races a 914 in a vintage-turing class down there.

Good luck and if you need any help jsut ask.

Martin AKA Quilmes

+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 23 2005, 09:48 AM
Post #8

Martin, you the MAN! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

P
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Aug 23 2005, 09:50 AM
Post #9

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

wow...tony. that sucks.

cant wait to hear the whole story when you come back.

come home safe and in one piece man!
AA
+Quote Post
Quilmes
post Aug 23 2005, 09:59 AM
Post #10

Torino 380 W

Member No.: 3,510

QUOTE (URY914 @ Aug 23 2005, 07:48 AM)
Martin, you the MAN! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

P

I did most of my high school down there and I just had my friends from BA stay at my house for three weeks and at the same time we also had my friends from Germany stay at the same time, talk about an international dinner table. All I can say it was a hoot and my wife is happy that our house is back to normal for a while.

My friend in BA is a notary down in Buenos Aires and she handles all the deals for that Porsche dealership. In Argentina to become a notary you first need to be a lawyer and then you can apply for a position as city/county notary. Once you past, and only the highest score win’s and if there are any openings in that county you become that areas official notary and all sales/business transactions housing and apartment sales/rentals will need to be checked and run through that person. It’s a lot of work but the money is very good.

Martin
+Quote Post
phantom914
post Aug 23 2005, 10:44 AM
Post #11

non-914-owner non-club member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,708

QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Aug 23 2005, 06:45 AM)

Apparently because I decided to go to the hospital it makes the accident more serious and so I have to sign some affidavit saying that I wont sue my own wife. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

Don't be rash and sign away your right to sue your wife without thinking it over carefully.

Andrew
+Quote Post
Toast
post Aug 23 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #12

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

I hope you and your family make it back safe and without problems.

And considering all, I hope you have a nice vacation.

--Toast
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 28 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #13

That's my ride.

Well, everything went fine with the police, etc.

Here are some pictures for your enjoyment.

Here I am giving a hesitant thumbs up as I'm waiting for the ambulance to show up. My other arm is elevated because my hand was bleeding a bit from glass.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 28 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #14

That's my ride.

Another view.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 28 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #15

That's my ride.

Me sittign in the hospital bed. I think that stuff covering me is like the stuff they put in shoes at stores to make them look filled.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 28 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #16

That's my ride.

And finally...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
messix
post Aug 28 2005, 11:38 PM
Post #17

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

man that looks like it would feel like getting body checked on the boards playing hockey.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Aug 29 2005, 01:03 AM
Post #18

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I can see your nipples.

GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)

M
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 29 2005, 07:33 AM
Post #19

I'm going to send that picture of the cat to the facilities director here at the hospital I'm working at. He'll love it. Talk about infection control problems..... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Tony, get well and get home.

Paul
+Quote Post
meares
post Aug 29 2005, 07:55 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 3,800

that's funny a BLACK cat in a hospital...i'll bet the supersitsous (sp.) people are freaking out!!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 06:46 AM