Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Relay board
Dave97
post May 19 2024, 03:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,285
Region Association: None

Do relay boards have intermittent problems? I’m having problems with the fuel pump. I lose power to the pump. Switch relays on the side of the road no go. Get home check power at the fuse ok, take a headlight relay, powers right up. Could I have a bad board connection? Intermittent? Thanks. Dave
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 14)
Shivers
post May 19 2024, 03:35 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Yes it can. On the bottom as well as the sockets. The copper can crack or the open end rivits can come loose

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post May 20 2024, 10:00 PM
Post #3

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

@Dave97

Test all fuel pump leads on the relay board.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=351033

From the 14 pin connector from fuse, from relay and the 12 pin connector.
I have not found relay board problems to be common or intermittent.
Even loose terminals at the fuel pump can cause your problem.

+Quote Post
second wind
post May 20 2024, 10:52 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,543
Region Association: Southern California

Hello Dave97.....I chased this problem on my '73 2.0 for weeks and replaced/ and or addressed 13 different issues.....I truly think replacing the wiring harness did the trick....they get in such bad shape over 50 years I was so happy to get a new one in there and wala !!! Car runs great....the other steps didn't hurt either including replacing the relay board but the harness was the root culprit imho.....good luck!!
gg
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post May 21 2024, 10:44 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

we clean and re solder connections but find very few problems with them unless people put heavy fuses in the holders and melt the holder
+Quote Post
Ishley
post May 21 2024, 12:44 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 25,957
Region Association: Upper MidWest

On my 72 it turned out to be the ECU. Replaced it and it all works good now.
+Quote Post
Dave97
post May 21 2024, 09:30 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 21,285

Thanks everyone. The challenge has been it is intermittent. It has stranded me twice. I can be driving along, then no fuel pump..I’m running webers I also run a ground wire from the spade connector on the board. The intermittent part makes it difficult because I have tested the wiring , pulled the gas tank then, checked power at the fuses, changed the relays around and then it works. I drive about 1;000 miles, then no power to the pump. That’s why I asked if there could be a loose connection at the relay pins or at the fuses.
What do I use to get the “tar” off the bottom to check? What do,I use to replace it when I’m done? Thanks again everyone. Dave
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post May 22 2024, 07:56 AM
Post #8

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(Dave97 @ May 21 2024, 08:30 PM) *

Thanks everyone. The challenge has been it is intermittent. It has stranded me twice. I can be driving along, then no fuel pump..I’m running webers I also run a ground wire from the spade connector on the board. The intermittent part makes it difficult because I have tested the wiring , pulled the gas tank then, checked power at the fuses, changed the relays around and then it works. I drive about 1;000 miles, then no power to the pump. That’s why I asked if there could be a loose connection at the relay pins or at the fuses.
What do I use to get the “tar” off the bottom to check? What do,I use to replace it when I’m done? Thanks again everyone. Dave

Test it first. Mist are good. I did have one recently that had no continuity on pin one. Connection to the trace was good.
Put the whole board in boiling water for about five minutes. I use Flexseal to reseal them. Or silicone tubber. First seal the alternator cinnections with silicine ir the Flexseal will flow into the socket. Use a rubber eraser to pkug the square hole.

Out the whole relay board in boiling water to soften the tar. Scr
+Quote Post
Ishley
post May 22 2024, 11:02 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 25,957
Region Association: Upper MidWest

What year is it? On the earlier cars the original fuel pump was in the rear. The positive wire ran along the fie wall and terminated near the ECU/Battery. When I had issues... I made up a length of jumper wire to plug into that wire and I plugged the other end into a multi prong connector on the coil. When you turn the key the pump ran... but it got me home a few times until I figured out the issue.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 22 2024, 11:14 AM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I had an early car with a fuel pump problem that was really a relay board problem. Switched it out and the car started right up. They are 50 years old.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 22 2024, 11:29 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 22 2024, 11:14 AM) *

I had an early car with a fuel pump problem that was really a relay board problem. Switched it out and the car started right up. They are 50 years old.

Many of us at 50 y/o can barely start at all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
JamesM
post May 22 2024, 05:06 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Dave97 @ May 19 2024, 01:12 PM) *

Do relay boards have intermittent problems? I’m having problems with the fuel pump. I lose power to the pump. Switch relays on the side of the road no go. Get home check power at the fuse ok, take a headlight relay, powers right up. Could I have a bad board connection? Intermittent? Thanks. Dave

They can fail in multiple places that will impact the fuel pump and I have seen them with intermittent failure issues. Last one I fixed was one of the hardest ones I have had to track down and was very intermittent. Issue on that one was at the 4 pin connector to the injection system, weak connection at solder joint for the fuel pump relay trigger wire. It would test out fine when the connector was not on it but with the 4 pin connector installed it stressed the joint enough to intermittently loose connection. I have had other that failed at the relay socket itself. Old relay boards with no availability for new replacements is probably the biggest headache I have with keeping d-jet going these days. (this surpassed old worn out distributors when the 123dizzy became available)
+Quote Post
JamesM
post May 22 2024, 05:10 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 21 2024, 08:44 AM) *

we clean and re solder connections but find very few problems with them unless people put heavy fuses in the holders and melt the holder

Thats funny. I think I have about 7 spares and every single one of them has failed in a different way, though on the bench they usually trace out ok.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post May 22 2024, 08:54 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(930cabman @ May 22 2024, 11:29 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 22 2024, 11:14 AM) *

Many of us at 50 y/o can barely start at all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Well, scrape the crud off your bottom and re-solder your connections.
+Quote Post
HaraldD
post May 23 2024, 10:44 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 9,781
Region Association: Germany

Hello Dave,
maybe you have problems with your pins / connectors in the plug to the relay board.
Some years ago I want to start my engine - and no sound from the pump.
But at that time I stay by the pre owner of #40.
And a friend of him tell me to take a "Cutter Knife" and put in the connectors from above, so you bend them outwards. The connector loses contact in all these years.
Problem solved!

Harald
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 02:02 AM