Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> External oil cooler kit?
Superhawk996
post May 22 2024, 08:00 AM
Post #41

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 22 2024, 09:38 AM) *

* You don't have to "boil off" the condensation at 212, it'll evaporate just fine at lower temps, it just takes longer. Ask the sweat glands on your arm if you disagree...

Having lived in the humid Midwest and the Gulf Coast - sweat doesn’t evaporate particularly well in humid environments where the dew point is sky high.

Now here’s an experiment you can do at home.

Put water in two containers. One with just water. The other with water with a layer of oil on top. Let me know which evaporates first. Water emulsified into oil doesn’t behave like sweat.

Ideally you would do this with an emulsion of water and oil but that emulsified mix is hard to maintain in a simple home experiment without using your wife’s blender (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

To further that point, if you’ve ever seen creamy whitish / yellow water emulsified oil sludge, how long does it take for the water to evaporate out and for it to return to pure oil? Long, long, time. As in, it really doesn’t.

I totally agree with your comment about not doing super short trips. For anyone that doesn’t remember, look up the class action lawsuit Toyota settled in 2007. The lawsuit was related to oil sludge and the propensity to sludge even worse when used on short daily commutes and when oil wasn’t changed as frequently as it should have been considering that sort of usage.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 22 2024, 08:10 AM
Post #42

914 Guru

I feel like I’ve dragged this debate for far too long and have stolen the OP’s thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif)

I apologize.

+Quote Post
technicalninja
post May 22 2024, 09:00 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 22 2024, 09:10 AM) *

I feel like I’ve dragged this debate for far too long and have stolen the OP’s thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif)

I apologize.

You provided the first correct answer to the OPs initial question and then showed WHY water emulsion is a bad thing with accurate pictures.

AFAIAC you kicked ass!

No apology needed!

One final point from me...

After you've gotten the water to evaporate from the oil you SHOULD also have some type of water trap in the crankcase ventilation and this system should be vacuum/intake scavenged via the engine for a STREETCAR application.

Race car is totally different!
I'm with Chris regarding loss of oil pressure past a certain temp. That would be my upper limit as well. The fact that that point was past 212 works well IMO.
Water entrainment is far less of a problem here as the service life of race oil is NOT usually long enough to have condensation issues.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 22 2024, 09:33 AM
Post #44

914 Guru

I also said “I’ll leave it to you to judge the applicability for your use.”

And then proceeded to go on a multi-page rant about oil temps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 09:02 PM