Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mystery intake/outlet in engine bay 74 2.0
Marcel Aircooled
post May 21 2024, 12:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,087
Region Association: Europe

Does anyone know what should connect to this black steel pipe coming from the engine tin on the driver's side?

Attached Image

It is not for the hoses from the charcoal canister. Those are both connected.

BTW my car is a 73 and the engine is a 74 2.0 GA engine

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post May 21 2024, 12:32 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Dunno what its original purpose was but it's bleeding engine air cooling, so I put a plug on mine.

+Quote Post
BillC
post May 21 2024, 01:00 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

According to my copy of the '73 2.0 vacuum hose routing guide, that port provides pressurized (ish) air to the charcoal canister. The other hose from the canister gets connected to the top of the air filter housing.

I don't remember my previous '73 1.7L having that port; I'm pretty sure the pressure side connected somewhere else (don't remember exactly).
+Quote Post
Marcel Aircooled
post May 21 2024, 01:09 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(BillC @ May 21 2024, 09:00 PM) *

According to my copy of the '73 2.0 vacuum hose routing guide, that port provides pressurized (ish) air to the charcoal canister. The other hose from the canister gets connected to the top of the air filter housing.

I don't remember my previous '73 1.7L having that port; I'm pretty sure the pressure side connected somewhere else (don't remember exactly).

I was told this before but, like I said in my first post, they are both connected.

One is connected to the right side of the cooler; see red line in below picture

Attached Image

The other one is connected to the air filter housing like you said

Attached Image

So I still have the small pipe on the left side unused..
+Quote Post
sportlicherFahrer
post May 21 2024, 01:25 PM
Post #5

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The port on the driver's side tin is correct for a '73 MY 2.0 car's charcoal canister. The port on the fan housing was for the later cars that had the canister mounted near the battery. I don't recall the exact changeover, but I think it was about '74. You have tin and a housing from different years, so just cap the one not being used.

Edit: Another look at your hose routing suggests that your car(or at least the plastic tubes across the front of the engine) are for a 1.7. The 1.7 cars used the port by the battery as well.
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post May 21 2024, 01:33 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 20,499

QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ May 21 2024, 12:25 PM) *

The port on the driver's side tin is correct for a '73 MY car's charcoal canister. The port on the fan housing was for the later cars that had the canister mounted near the battery. I don't recall the exact changeover, but I think it was about '74. You have tin and a housing from different years, so just cap the one not being used.

Correct. My 74 2.0L (built March 1974) has the charcoal cannister mounted with a strap to the back of the forward trunk wall and uses the port on the fan housing.
+Quote Post
Marcel Aircooled
post May 21 2024, 01:37 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ May 21 2024, 09:25 PM) *

The port on the driver's side tin is correct for a '73 MY 2.0 car's charcoal canister. The port on the fan housing was for the later cars that had the canister mounted near the battery. I don't recall the exact changeover, but I think it was about '74. You have tin and a housing from different years, so just cap the one not being used.

Edit: Another look at your hose routing suggests that your car(or at least the plastic tubes across the front of the engine) are for a 1.7. The 1.7 cars used the port by the battery as well.

The car is a 73 with the canister in the front trunk and engine is 74 2.0 so I suspect you are right that some parts not match and I should just plug the port not used. Thanks for the quick help!
+Quote Post
Marcel Aircooled
post May 21 2024, 02:24 PM
Post #8

BTW any advise on what to use best to plug the port?
+Quote Post
sportlicherFahrer
post May 21 2024, 02:57 PM
Post #9

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945

A standard rubber or silicone vacuum port cap that fits should do fine. I think that port is close to 12mm or so.

Something like this.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 21 2024, 07:05 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(scallyk9 @ May 21 2024, 01:33 PM) *

QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ May 21 2024, 12:25 PM) *

The port on the driver's side tin is correct for a '73 MY car's charcoal canister. The port on the fan housing was for the later cars that had the canister mounted near the battery. I don't recall the exact changeover, but I think it was about '74. You have tin and a housing from different years, so just cap the one not being used.

Correct. My 74 2.0L (built March 1974) has the charcoal cannister mounted with a strap to the back of the forward trunk wall and uses the port on the fan housing.

thats pretty interesting @scallyk9

the changeover for the cans occurs during the start up of production of the 1.8s in nov 73.
the first half of 74 2.0 production from aug to oct 73 would have that tube bleed in the tin and the second half of 2.0 production from about feb 74 on must follow what the 1.8s and 1.7s always had with the fan casting bleed tube. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

there looks to have been a lull in 74 2.0 production from nov 73 to sometime in feb 74 from all the L jet data we have. they mainly made the new L jets during those months.
not many if any 2.0s down the line.
+Quote Post
Marcel Aircooled
post May 21 2024, 11:16 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ May 21 2024, 10:57 PM) *

A standard rubber or silicone vacuum port cap that fits should do fine. I think that port is close to 12mm or so.

Something like this.

Perfect, thanks!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 09:26 PM