Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> straight cut cam gears, why? why not?
Jake Raby
post Aug 26 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #21

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I don't see that one happening anytime soon- Being a professional asshole is a delightful position to have!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Aug 26 2005, 09:06 PM
Post #22

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

asshole or not, I agree. I have seen some "car of the year" awards that just didnt make sense...but I am sure they made dollars for teh magazine in wich they were displayed. I.E. H-1 Hummer? SUV of teh year? Have you ever looked under that thing? its a blazer with a live axle rear. I think Le Car was car of teh year. so was teh Alliance

Money talks.
+Quote Post
Type 4 Unleashed
post Aug 27 2005, 12:40 AM
Post #23

CREATIVE TYPE lV ENGINEERING

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 2,231
Region Association: None

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Aug 26 2005, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Aug 26 2005, 11:46 AM)
are they good in a daily driver or is stock better for commuter cars?

No good in a daily car, or even a weekender. They're WAY loud, and can often completely dominate the engine note. Depending on the exact gears, you either get an irritating ringing sound, or a loud whine that often sounds like you're driving a executive jet or something.

Honda used them in some street motorcycles, but they developed a clever "scissor" arrangment of two gears side-by-side, sprung loaded to take up the lash between teeth. This quiets them down some w/o the side-loading cause by helical gears.

[QUOTE]No good in a daily car, or even a weekender. They're WAY loud, and can often completely dominate the engine note.

I, run strait cuts, daily driver, 1,000 - 1,500 miles a week. Loud? Hell Yes.

Why? I'am running alot of spring pressure, (SBC springs), the cam, lifters and springs are a proven combination, one thing about the springs, they will never let the valves float, miss shift or otherwise. This combo is what I'll use for my .600" lift cam. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)

+Quote Post
Type 4 Unleashed
post Aug 27 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #24

CREATIVE TYPE lV ENGINEERING

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 2,231

QUOTE (Britain Smith @ Aug 25 2005, 08:10 PM)
They make them, I got them.

-Britain

(IMG:http://www.britainsmith.com/Porsche/912Project/TurboMotor/BottomEnd/images/128_2822_JPG.jpg)

Britain, what cam you running, springs and what bore & stroke? And I see you had your crank dowled.
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Aug 27 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #25

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

The motor is 78 stroke and 98 bore, making is a 2353cc. It is running a custom grind cam from Jake that was designed with the flow rates, turbo charging, Pauter rockers, etc. in mind. I am not sure of the specific specs, but I know that it is a split duration between intake and exhaust.

-Britain
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Aug 27 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

I am not sure of the specific specs, but I know that it is a split duration between intake and exhaust.

Then how do you know if it is installed right?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 27 2005, 11:59 PM
Post #27

Engine Surgeon

He got a cam card....
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Aug 28 2005, 10:17 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Without a degree wheel how will he know if the cam is installed advanced, retarded etc?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 28 2005, 11:40 AM
Post #29

Engine Surgeon

I guess he'll just stab it and go! I don't know what advance/retard washers he used when it was assembled..... I'd personally run this cam straight up as long as it degreed correctly.

Most DIY guys just don't understand degreeing in a cam- that can really bite you in the ass though!

BTW- I have seen one more web cam be out like the one you got. I put every cam in the cam doctor and found one on a 114 L/C that should have been on a 108- it was the cam for the Super 2 Liter- it degreed in perfectly after I had them repair the issue.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 28 2005, 01:53 PM
Post #30

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

QUOTE (] I have seen some "car of the year" awards that just didnt make sense [/QUOTE)

Carefull!  914 was MotorTrend's  1970 "Import Car of the Year"

[QUOTE=]Even the straight cuts that I sell are kinda questionable.. The best set in the planet cost 450.00 at my cost and even they are crappy and need work...

Unless your engine HAS to make 100HP+ PER LITER stick with the helical gears... Hell my 3 liter don't even have them, and don't need them...

Yet another product dumped on the market from pure advertising! A solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Just cause somebody makes it, and somebody else sells it, and some PR guy that's never had a wrench in his hand in his life comes up with a BS rap that sounds plauseable, IT STILL DOESN'T MAKE IT A GOTTA HAVE PIECE!
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Aug 28 2005, 03:44 PM
Post #31

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Aug 28 2005, 10:40 AM)
I guess he'll just stab it and go! I don't know what advance/retard washers he used when it was assembled..... I'd personally run this cam straight up as long as it degreed correctly.

Most DIY guys just don't understand degreeing in a cam- that can really bite you in the ass though!

BTW- I have seen one more web cam be out like the one you got. I put every cam in the cam doctor and found one on a 114 L/C that should have been on a 108- it was the cam for the Super 2 Liter- it degreed in perfectly after I had them repair the issue.

I installed that cam using the zero degree washers. I have a conceptual understanding of degree'ing the cam, but I have never had any experience playing with it.

-Britain
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 28 2005, 04:58 PM
Post #32

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

QUOTE (Britain Smith @ Aug 28 2005, 01:44 PM)
I have a conceptual understanding of degree'ing the cam, but I have never had any experience playing with it.

that could get spendy!
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Aug 28 2005, 08:48 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Its not just a Web problem. I think it is me. Everytime I do some custom stuff I have to keep going back and forth to get the manufacture to get it right. I must be the only person on the planet that won't put my name and reputation on garbage.

Most people can get by with just pokin' the cam in and hopin' it is right. You do what lets you sleep at night.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 28 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #34

Engine Surgeon

I must be the only person on the planet that won't put my name and reputation on garbage.

Nope two of us!

I get lucky a lot of times... I honestly think that sometimes when guys off the street order somet things they get "Whatever"....

Web knows that I'm gonna throw every cam on the Doctor and degree them all in when I build an engine so *maybe* things are more checked out... Also I only buy TWO cams off their shelf- all the rest are custom so they have to be made...

Luck sometimes runs out- Like it has for me with this FP engine... Its together and rewady for the dyno in the morning, but EVERY part of it has haunted me.... over 125 hours in the past 7 solid days of fiddling with it.........

Its gonna be another all nighter just to get it up on the dyno and hook the logger to it and crank for oil pressure...
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Aug 28 2005, 09:22 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Good luck.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Apr 23 2018, 05:16 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 10,019

I know this thread is over a decade old .... back then peeps thought available straight cut cam gears were not good quality. I figured I would ask if this 'situation' has changed since then.

Is anyone running straight cut cam gears now?

This vid shows a VW type 4 with straight cut gears. I think it sounds pretty good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEF-5QtVWqM
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 23 2018, 06:55 PM
Post #37

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I agree. But I am biased since Im hooked on the sound of the gear driven cams & .5 v8 rumble from my VFR!
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 23 2018, 09:14 PM
Post #38

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 23 2018, 04:16 PM) *

I know this thread is over a decade old .... back then peeps thought available straight cut cam gears were not good quality. I figured I would ask if this 'situation' has changed since then.

Is anyone running straight cut cam gears now?

This vid shows a VW type 4 with straight cut gears. I think it sounds pretty good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEF-5QtVWqM

^ I like it, almost has a /6 motor sound. I think those long chains on the /6 make up some of the "noise" that we love.

+Quote Post
eeyore
post Apr 23 2018, 10:48 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 1,533

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 23 2018, 05:55 PM) *

I agree. But I am biased since Im hooked on the sound of the gear driven cams & .5 v8 rumble from my VFR!

I miss my '90 VFR so tremendously. Stock headers with a slip on. Revving up through 5,000 RPM and beyond -- words fail me...
+Quote Post
pt_700
post Apr 24 2018, 12:35 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 11,430
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mark Garriott @ Apr 23 2018, 09:48 PM) *

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 23 2018, 05:55 PM) *

I miss my '90 VFR so tremendously. Stock headers with a slip on. Revving up through 5,000 RPM and beyond -- words fail me...

+ another on the vfr's. mine was an '87, dark blue with a yoshi slip-on. best sounding bike motor ever, in my opinion. nice power characteristics too, torque like a v-twin and top end like an in-line 4.

now back to our regularly scheduled programming...
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:25 PM