Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I hate cheesehead screws, broke the heads off 2
DNHunt
post Jul 30 2003, 09:35 AM
Post #1

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 598

Removing the tin from cylinders 1&2 I broke 2 screws. Soaked them for 2 days sprayed 3 times each day with PB Blaster and they still broke. What a sick feeling when you think they are starting to come out and they break instead. So the head is off to Jack's Machine shop for removal of 1 screw and welding, drilling and retapping the hole I screwed up. By the way, Easy Outs should be called Easy Breaks. I can't remember 1 broken screw, bolt or stud they have worked on.

Only 1 good thing came out of all this. My 13 year old son was watching and thinks I'm stronger than I really am. He thinks he's still not ready to mess with Dad. By the way having the kid there sure cuts down on what you can say.

Dave
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Alfred
post Jul 30 2003, 09:42 AM
Post #2

Unregistered

I did the same thing with a couple of the screws on my 2.0. The feeling is not quite as bad, though, as removing the exhaust studs and having some of the threads come out with them.

Alfred
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 30 2003, 09:45 AM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I did the same thing with my engine tin.. there was one that was seriously stuck, so I took my big screwdriver and a vicegrip and griped the handle.. took a ton of force and a can of liquid wrence, but I snaped the head off. Oh well at least my tin is off!
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 30 2003, 09:52 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Use the good stainless screws when you go back together.. also use Anti-Seize.

I think its great your having your son help. It is better than him sitting in front of the TV or computer playing video games.. or "hanging out/chillin" with his "homies"..

B
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 30 2003, 10:08 AM
Post #5

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

I went down to true value and got High temp Allen(HEX) head screws... much easier to deal with IMHO
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Jul 30 2003, 10:12 AM
Post #6

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Gerry really seems to enjoy it. He took the head off with me "supervising". Of course I busted the screws after he said these sure seem hard. Also Dad forgot about that stinking little screw holding some tin to the head between the pushrod tubes. He's saying "I don't understand why this head won't come off". And I said "I don't know, maybe the pushrod tubes are holding it". So we wrestle the pushrod tubes out . It's sitting on a pallet so that wasn't easy. Meanwhile the head is still stuck and I'm ready to really wack it with a mallet. Gerry says "Dad I think there's another screw holding it" sure enough he's right.

Oh well, kids eventually find out just how little their Dad's know and Dad's get to see how bright their kid's really are. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Dave
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jul 30 2003, 11:42 AM
Post #7

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

Dave,
You had asked about father/son project experiences & recomendations earlier and I didn't have a chance to comment, so I'm a little late.

I had great teenage experiences with my Dad & cars, but it was kind of distanced and worked well that way. I can hang out all day with my Dad now and things never get heated but as a teenager it was a little more volatile if we didn't keep the stress down. So here's how Dad handled things and 15 years later I see a lot of wisdom in his actions - It gave us time together, boosted my confidence, got some work done, and KEPT ME OUT OF TROUBLE. Here's the short version:

At age 13 Dad handed me a cardboard box with an alternator in it. Said "install this today and take the old one to Parts Service to get the core refund. Motor manual is on the bookshelf. It'll tell you exactly how to do it." And he left for work. This was the first time I'd taken a wrench to a car. I was very nervous, but I found the book, followed the instructions, and when Dad came home he surveyed the work, checked the belt tension & voltage, and gave the thumbs up. I felt great. There was no yelling or pouting. We both felt good.

Next came starters, waterpumps, brakes, and oil changes. Same program as before. Dad gave instructions & left. Returned to review work completed. Offered advice as needed. This was a huge thing to me even if I didn't admit it because it did two things: 1) I was gaining self confidence, and 2) I was earning my fathers approval. Key to all this was that he was not hovering over me scrutinizing my work and telling me what to do each step of the way - he gave good instructions and left me to it. This told me that he trusted me, and THAT caused me to be all the more carefull so I wouldn't make him think that was a mistake. I was learning, and I was afraid that if I was careless he'd stop giving me projects. He'd come around at the end of a day and ask how it was going and offer help when I asked for it. I'm sure it required significant restraint on his part to give me so much freedom and for him to take such a passive role.

This continued, and the projects got more compex until at age 15 Grandpa gave me a $300 junk-yard '66 Mustang, a $100 frame-straightening, and a motor manual. It was a roller with no engine/tranny. Dad helped me evaluate the project and then just left me to it. He gladdly offered help and suggestions when I asked, but left all the work to me. I got more comfortable asking questions, and that generated good quality time between us because he set me up to be the one initiating our time together. I wanted to build a new motor, but that required me to go to him with questions. There was no attitude or teen-pouting because I was mostly seeking him out rather than him following me around telling me what to do. I did it the hard way building a 289 from scratch. Bought a short-block and rebuilt it, then heads, then started gathering accessories one thing at a time. Starter, watherpump, pulleys, brackets, harness... Dad taught me how to use plastiguage - when I asked. How to mic the crank - when I asked. How to get the right pattern with the cyl hone - when I asked. You get the idea. One night I went in the house at about 10:00pm and said "Um... I think it's ready to start." Dad (and the rest of the family) came out. Dad squirted a little gas in the Holley 750 sitting on the satin Offy manifold, stepped back and said "Ok, light it off." I'll never forget that sound*, and I'll never forget the smile on my Dad's face when I caught his eye.

Another reason this worked with Dad & me was because I had the interest. If your son has a high interest in cars then this approach might work. I don't think it would have worked had my interestests lay elsewhere. It doesn't have to be cars though - it could be whatever he is interested in. If it is cars, I'd let him decide what he likes. The Mustang was great for me at the time because that's what I was into (at the time).

-Ben M.

*10.0 cr, Offy dual plane, holly quad, tall cam, headers, etc.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 30 2003, 12:16 PM
Post #8

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Stuck screw in steel add heat, stuck screw in aluminum buy a Heli-coil set!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:39 AM