Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rewiring, more, step 1, de-wiring
lapuwali
post Sep 3 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #1

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

I've managed to disentangle and separate the mess at the fusebox and under the dash. Found plenty of PO hackage, and more burnt wiring. I also discovered a few things about the factory harness.

The headlight switch SHOULD have four connections: power in, parking lights, lo-beams, dash lights. You could get away with three, and merge the lo-beams and gauge lights in the harness later. So, why are there FIFTEEN terminals on the headlight switch, with several connections with doubled up wires on them? There's like 20-30 wires there. OK, for ultimate reliability, I suppose you could run a wire to each light individually, plus the gauge lights and power, but that's still only 10 wires...

I think some of the final assembly (maybe a dozen crimped connections) was done after the harness was on the car. Some of the assembly must have been pretty challenging. I can see this in a low-volume setting, and it's certainly how I'll make the replacement, but to make around 100 cars per day in this way is pretty amazing.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 05:03 AM