Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CA Back plate Fee question
Ferg
post Aug 1 2003, 08:55 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

I guess I'm lucky. I bought my car in Orange county this spring and drove it back to CO. Little did I know the plates were expired, and in Non OP status. Anyhow it wasent until nevada when I got pulled over for triple digits did I find this out. Got out of the ticket, but state of CA just sent me a bill to my new house for 37 bucks for those expired plates. I have CO plates on the car now, and the bill does not list my situation as a reason for non payment. And of course no one answers the phone. Do I need to pay, seems silly since I already have the car liget here... Ferg.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 1 2003, 08:57 AM
Post #2

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

I wouldn't pay.

Actually I didn't, when I sold my boat in CA and moved to Indy, they wanted me to pay for the next year of registration. I said go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) yourself. Well, they have issued an arrest warrant for me in CA!

effin, effers!
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Aug 1 2003, 09:14 AM
Post #3

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Call this number between 10 am and 3 pm California time 1-800-777-0133

They are not open every day of the week either! I called them Tuesday and was able to get through!

Jeff
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Aug 1 2003, 09:27 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Thanks for the info, Jeff. Would like to try and avoid a warrent over 37 bucks, though would be cool to be an outlaw (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 1 2003, 10:51 AM
Post #5

My mother wasn't impressed that one of her sons had a warrant out for his arrest!
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Aug 1 2003, 10:58 AM
Post #6

Small Member

Member No.: 633

Hi Ferg!

Did you ever get the concour pics back?
-S
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Aug 1 2003, 11:55 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Hi Scott (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I have them on my home computer, but my camera software sucks or is not working so I cannot resize them. As soon as I can, I'm going to have my buddy host them on our idiot site, and then post a link here...
Ferg.
+Quote Post
tryan
post Aug 1 2003, 02:16 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 184

a. the old plate would not have been in your name. the po's name should be on the non-op tag.

b. you should call nevada. if they where nice enough to set you free, they might straighten it out for you.

c. i got a ticket in a vega going down a long grade in NC. (82 mph = terminal velocity.) the trooper made me drive to see the magistate. the speeding fine was paid, but i lost my privledge to drive in nc for 30 days with an additional 25 dollar fine. i never paid it. 25 years later when i went to renew my TN drivers license the unpaid ticket surfaced. be warned. it might come back to haunt you.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Aug 1 2003, 02:26 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Yeah, nevada's finest was just that, truly the nicest policeman I have ever run across. 104 in a 75, just outside of vegas limits. I had just gone around a escalade "rollin on dubs no less" that I had been following and vice versa since LA. He was in a z28 hiding in the low spot of the median. Had me step out of the car, and walk back and chatted. Before he let me go, he asked about the car, and knew what it was, asked which six I had in it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) , then asked me to rev it, to hear the motor. Told me to keep it down through vegas and have a nice trip home. Followed me most of the way into town, then beeped as he pulled of the freeway (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . I said he was a nice officer. My speedo was reading 112 or so. Needless to say I kept it around 80-85 rest of the trip...One freebe is all I expect (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Aug 1 2003, 09:35 PM
Post #10

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I recently subverted a few dollars in fees when I bought a car from California.

The title was signed, the dealer never changed it (2 years) sent it to me with a hand-written bill of sale, so I used the BOS to register the car, then took the title in a month later, and for $18, I fixed it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Hey, maybe I don't make the rules, but I can play that game!

M
+Quote Post
markb
post Aug 1 2003, 10:14 PM
Post #11

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Just pay the money. The hassels that could come later are not worth it. Mark
+Quote Post
Zeke
post Aug 1 2003, 10:45 PM
Post #12

Never left, but not right....

Member No.: 197

I completely don't understand. How did CA get your name and address? PO turn it in? The non-op is his responsibility to sign off. If the car needed smog inspection, it is the POs responciblilty to do that too. Tell CA by mail with a copy of the bill for the $37 that you trailered the car out of the state and that it never touched the road. Nevada didn't give you a ticket? Then there's no proof that the car drove in NV either.

Write our beloved state and tell them if they have a beef, to take it up with the PO. You never drove the car. That's all they'er saying is that you drove a car with expired registration on the public road and therefore owe the back registration. It's not anything like an unpaid ticket.

They will listen to reason, trust me. I bought and sold a 356 inside of six months. Although the tags were current, I never registered the car in my name, I I insured it. The PO sent my name in. About a month after I sold the car and the new owner had registred it, I got a letter demanding the tax on the purchase. Plus a penalty, plus six months of interest. I started a big story with a DMV guy in Sacramento on the phone. He wasn't buying it. So, I said how 'bout I send you the original tax money ($1000) right now and you let the penalty and interest slide? Deal, right on the phone. Check sent out that day, no problems. Write them a letter.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 3 2003, 11:06 AM
Post #13

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Send them a letter....tell them you bought it and took it out of state. You don't live in CA and don't intend to live in CA. The back fees are the responsibility of the PO.

Geez, they went after ME on a fee for a car I sold to a guy in Texas. I had to send them a registered letter with a CC to my State representative to get them off of me. They even threatened to go after my tax refund.....never went the warrant route though.....
+Quote Post
tryan
post Aug 3 2003, 11:15 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 184

damn french natzis. time for a tea party.

our government SUCKS. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 3 2003, 11:32 AM
Post #15

no, just the CA gubmnt.
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Aug 3 2003, 06:45 PM
Post #16

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244

No, Ohio is pretty bad about speeding tickets.

I got a ticket doing well in excess of the speed limit in the 944. All was well, until I tried to flirt with the pretty redhead lady cop. That ticket book opened up QUICK!

I forgot to pay the ticket. About 9 month later, the county sherrif in Iowa calls me on my cell number - Ohio has a sworn out a warrant for my arrest, and all they have is my PO Box (from my driver's license). Would I please come in and surrender? Fuck no!

I called Ohio, gave them my credit card, got a confirmation number and a sigh of relief.

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Aug 4 2003, 05:30 AM
Post #17

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I was on vacation in Florida, doing 112 west on I-4 through Orlando, and about 2 weeks later I get a ticket in the mail, with a picture of me speeding, so I sent them a picture of $390.00.

M
-stolen form some guy on tv-
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Aug 4 2003, 07:40 AM
Post #18

914 Guru

Zeke, I'm with you, and completely perplexed on how they got my name and address ect ect. I re-titled the car and it now has a CO title so I guessing CA and CO as well as other states work more closely than I thought. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
I buy and sell a lot of cars and never had this, but I'm gonna do what you suggest and call them up. I deal with DMW people here in CO on a bi weekly basis so i'm prepared for a fun phone call. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Aug 4 2003, 08:09 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 71
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 4 2003, 05:40 AM)
Zeke, I'm with you, and completely perplexed on how they got my name and address ect ect. I re-titled the car and it now has a CO title so I guessing CA and CO as well as other states work more closely than I thought. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
I buy and sell a lot of cars and never had this, but I'm gonna do what you suggest and call them up. I deal with DMW people here in CO on a bi weekly basis so i'm prepared for a fun phone call. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

There's a release of liability tear-off at the top of a CA title. The PO had probably already torn it off. The PO mails it in and then "they" know who you are.

I got CA registration bills for a truck I sold for a couple of years. I just ignored them. No effect on other titles, tax refunds, warrants for my arrest, or tips to strippers.

CA is "running out of money" so they are just ask'n for a little donation... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pissoff.gif)

Have fun,
Kevin
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:56 PM