Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Toby's Phoenix Red '74, Turns out orange can be red
Tobra
post Nov 6 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,634

Discovered the seat tilts, , so that is what that other lever does, who knew?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 8 2006, 08:38 AM
Post #22

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tobra @ Oct 29 2006, 10:00 PM) *

Have not added much to this thread in a while. Adjusted the clutch, checked the rear brakes and the clearance is right. Did my first auto cross today in Stockton, it was a hoot. Most fun I ever had for $35. Finally have a decent pic of the car with alloy wheels on it

Went from 86 seconds to 76 seconds in five runs. Each run was about 2 seconds faster than the one before. I don't know what that means, but I improved every time, so that is good. Can't imagine the tires lasting very long if I keep driving it like this. Kind of fun to slide around a little, even if it slowed me down

Toby,
An improvement of 2 seconds a lap is great. With a proper alignment street tires tend to last a year or more with autocross use. Because they are narrow and you are doing some cornering in anger, they will tend to wear the outside edges first. You roll over onto the side wall and wear the edge.
An alignment that includes negative camber will take away some of the tendency to wear in that way. Corner balancing is relatively cheap and effective as well.
Some people who use their cars daily or nearly so, have a second set of wheels with autocross tires on them to mitigate the wear and get more time on the tires.
This can be a slippery slope. A 914 with a good alignment, good tires, a front sway bar (at least) is all you need to have a good time with a nimble car. Once you start chasing TTOD, the money flows. It is really seat time that means the most. In order to improve your times to yours and the cars optimum, you need to spend lots of time in the seat driving it in anger.
You can spend a half million on a Carrera GT and after you put in your best effort a guy with lots of seat time will better your best in your own car. Moral of the story is drive it. Enter every event you can get to . Better yet, get involved. I could use help with the events.
Sorry I was so little help at that event. I didn't feel well so the best I could do was tow the trailer and set up the course...
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Mar 17 2007, 02:49 PM
Post #23

Finally fixed the interior light, radio shack female plug crimped on wire, plugged in and voila, let there be light. Does not work when I open passenger door, probably dirty contacts, but don't care much. Put new license plate light on too, one that did not work was crumbling, one that did is crumbling but not corroded, like the driver's side, go figure.

Dropped $200 on a bunch of stuff I don't really need. Nice leather wrapped wheel with brand new rubber spring, won't go on until post painting. Nice steel front lower valence, rocker covers and little cover that goes over the master cylinder well. Picked up a spare transmission, including rear mounts, rear shift rod with coupler and little boot for the firewall too. The wife did not complain too much though. Been driving it a lot, which is good. Need to check my cone screws again, seems a little sloppy shifting
oooh, pretty
Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschecb
post Mar 17 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 2,529
Region Association: None

Hey Toby! Where did get all those parts? (not to mention the money) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Mar 18 2007, 12:11 AM
Post #25

What do you need Michael?

Went over and got them from my friend Jim, you want to put a 2 liter in your car, I think he has the right one with a fresh top end, he has a lot of stuff
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 12:16 AM