Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The difference between 914 and Boxster owners at d
Qarl
post Aug 3 2003, 09:32 PM
Post #21

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

I'm a Boxster owner... and I DO wave at other Porsches...

While I like my Boxster, I do not LOVE it like I do 914s...

Boxster Faults....

Needs better sound at lower RPMs

Quality issues - U.S. non-S Boxsters are made in Finland... I've had lots of mechanical issues with this car over 2 issues (leaking cam covers twice, failed engine main seal, persistant rear vibration problems, A/C issues, creaky top in the hot sun, easily dirtied rear plastic window, headlight problems, etc.).

Maintenance is expensive (but it is a new car).

The car is difficult to work on yourself.

Engine is even MORE difficult to access than a 914s.

Crappy sound system (no really any better than what you can get in a 914).

Strengths...

Very neutral handling car

Good power

Tranny shifts nice

Good bang for the buck

Looks great

The 2003 Boxster S and Boxster have corrected many of the faults. The Boxster S is far the superior car.

Would I get another.... no.

Considering an Audi S4 next... maybe a Benz...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Zeke
post Aug 4 2003, 03:51 PM
Post #22

Never left, but not right....

Group: Members
Member No.: 197

Karl, just so you know, my 2000 non S was made in Germany according to the door plate.

Would I buy another? Probably not. But only because I would either buy a 964 or a 993 to replace it. If I don't do that, it stays.

914's are a different car. The mid-engine format is the common ground with the Boxster. But the mid-engine format is common ground to others as well.

But, this thread was about the owners of the cars, not the cars. Something about the cars gets mentioned to support the opinions of posters about owners. As far as I can tell, the 914 owners want to be associated with swap meeters, ex band members, grease under fingernails and anything not preppie.

I had a 914 in '72. Lot of preppies in them then. Things have changed, obviously. BTW, when I see X19 and Fiero drivers, they often look like they might fit the choosen profile of the 914 owner. They have mid-engine cars, too. Frankly, I have met some fairly upscale folks that have 914's that might fit more closely to the said Boxster owner profile except they probably didn't have their head up their ass as many of you seem to think all Boxster owners do.

Time to recognize that all owners of all models of cars are not necessarily of the popular perception. It kind of pisses me off that I am a victim of some preconceived notion of what a Boxster owner is.

I don't really try to judge a person too quickly by the surface. I might be in a little hot water because I defended a newbie elsewhere who posted something about WD-40 and got totally ridiculed. You know, that just sucks. I'm wondering more and more each day who really has their head up their ass.
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Aug 4 2003, 04:03 PM
Post #23

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271

As far as "owner" differences, I haven't detected much here in Florida. I wave to 911 guys, 914 guys, and 944 guys. If anything, the 944 guys don't seem to care much about other Porsches. Most of them have their windows rolled up and the A/C on. I see more 911s with their windows down. The owners are probably enjoying the sweet sounds of the flat six. Maybe it's an air-cooled water-cooled thing, though.

I do miss the sound on the Boxste0 though.r. I've been tempted on several occasions to to the intake and muffler upgrade, but I will be getting rid of the Boxster next Spring.

Maybe the differences in owner types is regional!?! Of course their aren't many 914s left in Florida so even the 911 guys and 928 guys turn their head when they spot one. At least they know what it is. I took my yellow teener to the local PCA monthly meeting and everyone was hovering over it. Someone also brought their newly completed '73 RS clone and it didn't get as much attention.

As a 914 owner AND Boxster owner, I probably appreciated the Boxster more than the first-time Porsche owner that drives a Boxster. I can admire the heritage and similarities and feel of the 914 vs. the Boxster.

Yes.. the WD-40 thread got out of hand... but you have to admit, it was a seemingly silly post and I can understand how some people could think it was a joke and poke fun right away.

I think the guy became a little offended early on by a remark that was not needlessly rude... but oh well. He's posted a few other threads on Pelican so maybe he'll stick around. Maybe, if anything, his hide will get a little thicker, and he'll get the courage to do something major to his car... like replace the wiper blades. Just kidding.

Take care, Zeke!
+Quote Post
Redwizard16
post Aug 4 2003, 04:10 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 729

Hello all. I have both.

03 Boxster and a 75 914. I also owned a 71 914 in 1973 and 74.

I don't think you can characterize anyone by the car they drive. They're both fine cars and they like to go around corners.

I raced SCCA open wheelers and sports racers for 25 years. Both the Boxster and the 914 give me the same feel.

Duane
+Quote Post
redshift
post Aug 4 2003, 04:13 PM
Post #25

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Sheesh, you Boxster guys are all the same.

M
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:05 AM