Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fire under the steering column., Pics are not for the faint of heart.
Dr. Roger
post Sep 12 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #1

A bat out of hell.

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

hmmmmmm. interesting.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Dr. Roger
post Sep 12 2005, 12:33 AM
Post #2

A bat out of hell.

pic courtest of Pelican Parts.

Does this make sense? Kinda?
(IMG:http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_ignition_switch/wiper_sw_pic.jpg)
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Sep 12 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #3

A bat out of hell.

I'm so screwed.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Sep 12 2005, 12:55 AM
Post #4

A bat out of hell.

wires again

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Sparky
post Sep 12 2005, 08:39 AM
Post #5

Mahna Mahna!

Member No.: 847

Umm yuck!! Ok so what caused the short? Good luck getting it fixed!

My best,
Mike D.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Sep 12 2005, 08:43 AM
Post #6

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) YIKES!!!
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Sep 12 2005, 08:48 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 391

If you are using the windshield washer that could let water in that area and cause a short? It could be dirt or corrosion also. At least that whole assembly is replaceable but I imagine expensive? You can also put switches on the dash for the high beam and turn signals as that is what I did with the race car and left the column switches off.
+Quote Post
Sparky
post Sep 12 2005, 08:52 AM
Post #8

Mahna Mahna!

Member No.: 847

Find someone here on the list or locally and see if the have a spare harness, I say cut back 6" from where the burnt/fused wires are and solder on a replacement pigtail. Worth a try....

Mike D.
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Sep 12 2005, 08:58 AM
Post #9

A bat out of hell.

QUOTE (john rogers @ Sep 12 2005, 07:48 AM)
If you are using the windshield washer that could let water in that area and cause a short? It could be dirt or corrosion also. At least that whole assembly is replaceable but I imagine expensive? You can also put switches on the dash for the high beam and turn signals as that is what I did with the race car and left the column switches off.

Yes, I think i'll do this ...

Everything but the turn indicators.

Interestingly enough, there was water damage and corrosion on several wires.

Watch out for this on your cars!

I have not fiddled with any of these wires going up front so it "just happened". SCARY....

I still don't know exactly how to figure out what goes where. The diagram above doesn't tell me much. =-(
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Sep 12 2005, 11:04 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 391

I thought that diagram looked familiar, it is from the article I did for replacing the switches completely. Here's some help to decipher things. The diagram is like you are looking down at the connectors from above. The easiest way to see the wires going to the connectors is to pull them back and down some. The turn signal connector is on the right side of the column which is the connector with the white/black and green/black wires in it. The wire colors are the same in the feed to the connectors and inside the switch assemblies (at least on mine they were) so you can see which wire color goes where. The easiest thing is to get another set of switches or you can just replace them as I did. NAPA has small connectors as does mouser.com if you wire in other switches. I made some digital pictures of the wires and connectors and labled each color as to what it feed, fuesed? etc. Good luck.
+Quote Post
914GT
post Sep 12 2005, 11:40 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

Roger, hate to see the bad luck you've run in to. Based on my experience I would be afraid to just patch the end of the harness at the steering column. It is highly likely that there is more damage further into the harness that you cannot see. When I pulled the old harness out of the V8 project car I found that several wires had melted together where they are bundled tightly near the fuse panel and out to the front trunk. Once those wires get hot in that tight bundle they will fuse together. I know it's a lot of work but to be completely sure you'd need to pull the whole harness out of the car and unwrap it for a full inspection. Or just scrap it for a good harness off a donor car. If you don't do this I think you're at risk of having another meltdown or even a worse fire. That's my opinion, but be careful whatever you decide to do - at minimum remove all the fuses and then bring each circuit up one at a time.
+Quote Post
Toast
post Sep 12 2005, 11:47 AM
Post #12

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580

Cut and splice.......if ya can. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Sep 12 2005, 11:50 AM
Post #13

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Captain Krusty had a box of them at the GAF.....

805-925-1993
West Coast Garage
Santa Maria CA
ask fer John Larson
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Sep 12 2005, 03:49 PM
Post #14

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Pulling the whole harness is a bear.

The only way I've found to do it without cutting stuff is to pull everything towards the fusebox. Disconnect everything up front, and pull it all down that (small!) hole in the scuttle just above the fusebox. Disconnect all of the taillights, then pull that bit forward towards the relay board. Disconnect the 14 pin plug from the relay board, and all of those grounds next to the relay board, then pull the whole mess through the firewall into the cabin.
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Sep 12 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #15

A bat out of hell.

QUOTE (914GT @ Sep 12 2005, 10:40 AM)
Roger, hate to see the bad luck you've run in to. Based on my experience I would be afraid to just patch the end of the harness at the steering column. It is highly likely that there is more damage further into the harness that you cannot see. When I pulled the old harness out of the V8 project car I found that several wires had melted together where they are bundled tightly near the fuse panel and out to the front trunk. Once those wires get hot in that tight bundle they will fuse together. I know it's a lot of work but to be completely sure you'd need to pull the whole harness out of the car and unwrap it for a full inspection. Or just scrap it for a good harness off a donor car. If you don't do this I think you're at risk of having another meltdown or even a worse fire. That's my opinion, but be careful whatever you decide to do - at minimum remove all the fuses and then bring each circuit up one at a time.

guy and james,

i think you're absolutely right.

i will go through most of the harness. everything i can get to without yanking the whle thing. Should be most of it.... and repair everything i can.

i just picked up another ignition switch and am going to take my time inspecting the harness before installing it.

thanks again for your knowledge and support.

"group hug" time... where's mrs. k????? =-))))) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mueba.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)

rogergrubb
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Sep 12 2005, 05:04 PM
Post #16

Illegal Soapbox Derby Racecar

Member No.: 3,105

QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Sep 12 2005, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (914GT @ Sep 12 2005, 10:40 AM)
Roger, hate to see the bad luck you've run in to. Based on my experience I would be afraid to just patch the end of the harness at the steering column. It is highly likely that there is more damage further into the harness that you cannot see. When I pulled the old harness out of the V8 project car I found that several wires had melted together where they are bundled tightly near the fuse panel and out to the front trunk. Once those wires get hot in that tight bundle they will fuse together. I know it's a lot of work but to be completely sure you'd need to pull the whole harness out of the car and unwrap it for a full inspection. Or just scrap it for a good harness off a donor car.  If you don't do this I think you're at risk of having another meltdown or even a worse fire. That's my opinion, but be careful whatever you decide to do - at minimum remove all the fuses and then bring each circuit up one at a time.

guy and james,

i think you're absolutely right.

i will go through most of the harness. everything i can get to without yanking the whle thing. Should be most of it.... and repair everything i can.

i just picked up another ignition switch and am going to take my time inspecting the harness before installing it.

thanks again for your knowledge and support.

"group hug" time... where's mrs. k????? =-))))) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mueba.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)

rogergrubb

Holy Shnikies! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)

I am sure pulling the wiring harness would provide a pretty absolute result, but the wiring harness itself is not inherently "bad".

I would begin with a multi-meter and would hunt down the "hard ground faults" that surely must be there if for no other reason than to determine a "cause and origin" on just what caused the malady. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) John

P.S. The wires are not good or bad, rather a-political, the wiring in that car can be re-used and repaired with a through metering,IMHo.
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Sep 12 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #17

Illegal Soapbox Derby Racecar

Member No.: 3,105

QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Sep 12 2005, 06:58 AM)
QUOTE (john rogers @ Sep 12 2005, 07:48 AM)
If you are using the windshield washer that could let water in that area and cause a short? It could be dirt or corrosion also. At least  that whole assembly is replaceable but I imagine expensive? You can also put switches on the dash for the high beam and turn signals as that is what I did with the race car and left the column switches off.

Yes, I think i'll do this ...

Everything but the turn indicators.

Interestingly enough, there was water damage and corrosion on several wires.

Watch out for this on your cars!

I have not fiddled with any of these wires going up front so it "just happened". SCARY....

I still don't know exactly how to figure out what goes where. The diagram above doesn't tell me much. =-(

Not at twelve volts, water did not cause the wiring to melt.

John
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 12 2005, 05:19 PM
Post #18

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Its happened to my 914 and lately the Westy. Old switch and a wire lug inside comes loose and touches something else and frys the shit outta everything. New switch and its good as new. Check the wires back to the fuse box.
+Quote Post
914GT
post Sep 12 2005, 07:01 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 2,923

Roger

I have part of an old harness with the turn signal/wiper connectors. No ignition switch connector though. It's yours if you want it.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Sep 12 2005, 08:32 PM
Post #20

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

When your going thru the wiring, check all the wires. When Smokey went up it burnt wires at the ignition switch and back to the engine. Also there were burnt wires as far as the up to the fans in the front end (just the ends of the wires were burnt at the fans). Something came loose and started it all. Fed back thru the system.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:58 PM